Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : King Dugan's Dungeon and Halph
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2482
IP: Logged

File: King Dugans Dungeon and Halph.hold (148.7 KB)
Downloaded 33 times.
License: Public Domain
icon King Dugan's Dungeon and Halph (+7)  
Here's KDD if Beethro took Halph along. I'm currently doing a LP of it to see which rooms can be done quicker.

I do it using a global script that tries to place Halph every 5 turns on the square that Beethro entered on. He's not quite smart enough to avoid entering on a sword.
But if it's on a room edge, then Halph will follow Beethro in, same as if he was placed normally, so that's nice and saved me having to modify every room.

I also swap out all the walls for hard walls for that more authentic AE feel.

Anyway here it is if anyone wants to play it too, or to change the global script for something else, like giving Beethro a different weapon or a command key tool, etc.

v2: fixed halph entry

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 12-16-2023 12:51 PM]
12-14-2023 at 02:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 483
icon Re: King Dugan's Dungeon and Halph (0)  
I've often been interested in seeing just how much a raygun would actually break the original KDD. But I never really thought trying it was worth the effort.

12-14-2023 at 04:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
KDD with raygun instead of sword, I think you'd get stuck. First Level : 5 North, 1 West is probably the first impossible room.

You can kill one of the roaches, but then the second one is behind you and I think you'd need a 1-width vertical wall to get far enough away to let you turn and shoot.

All the diagonal sidestep/kills in Tenth Level would also be a stopper.

I guess you'd want to add a bypass secret code that'd give you your sword back or joker-solve the room to allow you to pass. Could add a counter that could keep track of how many times you used it, which might be interesting.

One thing I'm vaguely curious of is if Halph makes any rooms impossible - Journey to Rooted Hold : Ninth Level : 2 South, 2 East would be impossible if Halph wandered in after you, but I don't think there's any rooms that are constrictive like that in KDD.

12-14-2023 at 08:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2453
icon Re: King Dugan's Dungeon and Halph (+2)  
Rabscuttle wrote:
You can kill one of the roaches, but then the second one is behind you and I think you'd need a 1-width vertical wall to get far enough away to let you turn and shoot.

No, that's solvable, you can use the horizontal wall for separation. You just need to get the roach on your left, which should be doable with the various 2-by-2 obstacles. After that walk to the edge of the wall and cross it diagonally, the roach never gets into the column that lets it cross.
12-14-2023 at 06:51 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1138

File: KDDaH Twelfth Level 1N Halph delayed.demo (37.9 KB)
Downloaded 20 times.
Found a scripting issue when playing through L12: if a snake blocks Halph from entering, his entrance is significantly delayed once the snake is gone.

EDIT: It appears to not just be snakes, but anything blocking Halph five turns in, such as Beethro himself.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NoahT at 12-15-2023 07:58 PM]
12-15-2023 at 05:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
That should be intentional, if it's blocked it should wait for a multiple of 5 for Halph to appear, which replicates how an ordinary Halph behaves.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 12-16-2023 05:05 AM]
12-16-2023 at 05:02 AM
NoahT
Waiting is intentional, but not for the length of a full spawn cycle.

My stuff:

12-16-2023 at 07:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
ohhhhh sorry, I see now.

I'm using Wait 1 but MyScriptX is set to Beethro's start position, so it's waiting that number of turns instead.
12-16-2023 at 10:01 AM
Rabscuttle

File: King Dugans Dungeon and Rayguns.hold (158.5 KB)
Downloaded 25 times.
I've updated first post with a fixed Halph entry

Attached to this post is KDD & Rayguns.

First impossible room is L2: 2N (unless you go a different way - maybe 2W although I haven't checked it properly)

I've added an override that kills all monsters (and gives you your sword back for that room)
To activate it, when you enter a room, do one full rotation clockwise, then hit the command key.
12-16-2023 at 12:55 PM
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 213
Rabscuttle wrote: Attached to this post is KDD & Rayguns.

First impossible room is L2: 2N (unless you go a different way - maybe 2W although I haven't checked it properly)
There is no other way... you have to kill that group of 5 roaches to reach any adjacent rooms.

I'm not seeing a solution for 1E or 2E either.

12-16-2023 at 06:03 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2453
Okay, but what's the first impossible room if we upgrade from Raygun to Raydart?
12-16-2023 at 07:21 PM
Rabscuttle
Any room with a red door won't be possible if you can't drop trapdoors.

Level 10 has those diagonal sidesteps.

8 gates might be interesting with the raydarts. You'll hit each orb twice, which makes normal solution impossible but because there's a delay between the hits, does that help? Also you could possibly close a door on a dart.
12-17-2023 at 12:00 AM
Rabscuttle

File: King Dugans Dungeon and Darts.hold (168.2 KB)
Downloaded 25 times.
KDD and Darts
12-17-2023 at 05:52 AM
Rabscuttle

File: King Dugans Dungeon and Raydarts.hold (168.2 KB)
Downloaded 22 times.
KDD and Ray Darts. Your main enemies are toggle orbs. You get stuck at the third room of the hold. L1:1N1W
12-17-2023 at 05:53 AM
averagemoe
How about KDD and dagger, caber, pickaxe or spear. Those sound unlikely to get you stuck. Unlike that useless staff...

12-17-2023 at 06:39 AM
NoahT
With the dagger, red door rooms would need an override.

My stuff:

12-17-2023 at 07:15 AM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4680
Level 1 6N2W is impossible with a spear (surprisingly, the third corridor is possible, but the fourth is not).

Any room requiring you to break crumbly walls is impossible with a caber (no bombs or kegs yet!) Level 3 2S2W is the first one.

Not sure yet about pickaxe.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 12-17-2023 05:16 PM]
12-17-2023 at 01:25 PM
Kalin
Nuntar wrote:
Level 1 6N2W is impossible with a spear (surprisingly, the third corridor is possible, but the fourth is not).
Fourth corridor is possible; I found it easier than the third.
The challenge is impossible.

12-17-2023 at 06:20 PM
bbb
Rank Points: 215
Nuntar wrote:
Level 1 6N2W is impossible with a spear

Not true.

You can finish (at least) level 6. Some rooms become much more interesting...

You can also finish level 7 (including master intellect).

[Last edited by bbb at 12-17-2023 09:08 PM]
12-17-2023 at 06:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bbb
[Post Deleted] Nuntar wrote:
bbb wrote: You can finish (at least) level 6. Some rooms become much more interesting...

You can also finish level 7 (including master intellect).

You were able to do 7 1N1W? I've confirmed that the rest of Levels 2, 3 and 7 are possible (including 7 1S, which is really hard!) but I couldn't figure that one out. Levels 4, 5 and 6 can be skipped (there is no difficulty in reaching the warp room) but it's a good point that they may still be interesting to look at for challenges.

Yes. I cleared level 7. And levels 4-6, even though they can be skipped.

12-17-2023 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Unsurprisingly, all of Level 8 is possible with the spear.

I skipped Level 9 as it didn't look very interesting to solve.

Level 10 1N1W is impossible.

Level 7 1N is impossible with any weapon that doesn't drop trapdoors. It is the first progression-blocking room with darts (4 1N and 1S1E are impossible but can be skipped); not sure if there are any earlier impossible rooms with the dagger.

Level 8 3S1W and Level 10 1N1W are also impossible with the dagger (as is 10 1N1E because of the red door, already mentioned).

I've confirmed all of Level 10 with the pickaxe; nothing before then looks impossible but I haven't tested yet. So that might be the weapon that gets the furthest.

12-18-2023 at 07:44 AM
bbb
I think these rooms cannot be done with a spear:

L10 1N1W: The first pair of roaches can't be cleared with a spear. The rest can be. (I switched back to a sword for the first section, then switched back.)

L10 1S1E: I came up a bit short on the third section of the room. I can't say for certain that it is not possible. After clearing the third section with a sword, I could clear the overrun fourth section with the spear.

L22 1N1E: There seem to be too many roach eggs per cycle for a spear. The brains seem to prevent ideas of luring queens out of the boxes. (Just solved the whole room with a sword.)

Except for these rooms, I completed up to (and including) level 24 (skipping level 13).

In level 25, I cleared until 1N1W. I am currently stuck on 1N2W, and am not sure it is clearable with a spear. I expect 2S to also be unclearable with a spear.
12-18-2023 at 04:03 PM
Rabscuttle

File: King Dugans Dungeon and Hookshots.hold (161 KB)
Downloaded 24 times.
KDD & Hookshots
12-19-2023 at 12:00 AM
averagemoe
We're all speculating on things that might make it easier. But some of us want more of a challenge instead. So, what if, KDD and Slayer?

12-19-2023 at 02:56 AM
Kalin
averagemoe wrote: But some of us want more of a challenge instead.
KDD with staff. How far do you have to go before you find a room that's solvable?

12-19-2023 at 04:00 AM
Rabscuttle
haha, the first room with pits and monsters is L2:1S1E, which also has the first wraithwing :)

L2: 2S1E, 2S2E, 2S3E all have pits so they'd be the first ones you can beat.
12-19-2023 at 06:02 AM
Nuntar
I'm not sure you can beat 2S1E. I can get all the doors open, but can't find a way to get north of the queens to finish the room.

2S2E is easy, and 2S3E is tricky but doable.

With the dagger, all of Levels 1-5 are possible. So are the east and north wings of Level 6 (even 3N, which is intended to require dropping trapdoors for mimic leverage!) but I haven't yet found a way to solve 1W. (As mentioned above, Level 6 can be skipped but then Level 7 1N is impossible.)

Still working on pickaxe. I've completed Levels 1-6 as well as 10; I suspect all of 7-9 are beatable, and it seems moderately likely that every room in the hold is beatable.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 12-19-2023 11:36 AM]
12-19-2023 at 11:03 AM
bbb
Nuntar wrote:
Still working on pickaxe. I've completed Levels 1-6 as well as 10; I suspect all of 7-9 are beatable, and it seems moderately likely that every room in the hold is beatable.

Clearable at least to L12.

[Last edited by bbb at 12-19-2023 12:31 PM]
12-19-2023 at 12:30 PM
Rabscuttle

File: Staff2L2S1E.PNG (68.7 KB)
Downloaded 132 times.
Staff L2:2S1E is possible. Have to hit some roaches north while getting the queens to run south, then have to face north in order to retreat south while backswiping new roaches. Then I might have got lucky with only two roaches spawned on one side which allowed me to get over to that side before being attacked from behind.

--

I checked a few rooms that I though might be problematic with the pickaxe, but they all were ok.

L12: 1S is possible, if you kill the first one by turning, there's enough corners to allow you to face the rest of the ones in the corridor.

L19: 1S1W has a race at the start where the pickaxe takes an extra turn, but there enough leeway.

L17: 2N1W - I thought maybe cutting through the tar would take long enough that the north tar would clog up the passageway, but it's ok.

L23: 2W - There's a bit of clearing crumbly wall while pursued by a goblin, but it's doable.
12-19-2023 at 12:51 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1332
averagemoe wrote:
We're all speculating on things that might make it easier. But some of us want more of a challenge instead. So, what if, KDD and Slayer?

With the Slayer, L1 6N2W is impossible.
12-19-2023 at 03:33 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : King Dugan's Dungeon and Halph
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com