Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : What is goblins weren't afraid of swords? (An exercise in an alternate ruleset)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
IP: Logged

File: If Goblins Didnt Fear Swords.hold (6.5 KB)
Downloaded 28 times.
License: Public Domain
icon What is goblins weren't afraid of swords? (0)  
I was considering mechanics from RPG and how it might be possible to transfer their spirits over into classic DROD. One thing that came to mind was the goblin biter. I thought for a while about how a weapon might be able to have an advantage specifically against goblins. What I came up with was the idea of a sword that they wouldn't try to avoid.

After a brief period of experimentation, I found a way to basically make the player's sword invisible to goblins. As a proof of concept, I implemented it into KDD's Fourteenth Level, the original introduction to goblins. Only one room got majorly broken, but I modified it to at least be clearable.

So, does the idea hold water?

[Last edited by averagemoe at 02-01-2023 05:50 PM]
02-01-2023 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1299
icon Re: What is goblins weren't afraid of swords? (0)  
I didn't think it'd be too interesting going in. Honestly, even so I was underwhelmed. It doesn't seem to add anything at all. Sorry!
02-02-2023 at 05:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
icon Re: What is goblins weren't afraid of swords? (+1)  
Yeah, the mechanism you implemented doesn't really hold well in classic DROD, cause we already have constructs that behave in basically the same exact way, the only catch is that these don't leave remains that re-animate on turn 30, but it's basically the same.

Besides, this isn't the correct counterpart to what it does in RPG - if you remember goblins still attacked your back with the goblin biter, and there is no way to "Double ATK" in classic DROD cause there is no attack points period.

02-02-2023 at 04:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : What is goblins weren't afraid of swords? (An exercise in an alternate ruleset)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com