Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Teleport player without interrupting time token recording
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged
icon Teleport player without interrupting time token recording (0)  
Encountered this on the latest beta (as far as I'm aware, anyway). It's possible that this behavior is older than I think, but I really don't recall running into this issue before. If the player is recording a time token, and a "teleport player" command is called, the game halts the time token as if the player had picked up a potion and plays the "whoosh" sound effect that it does for "normal" tokens such as conquer, disarm, etc. Using set var _X or _Y seems to also have the same effect.

I can't think of any good reason for teleportation to interrupt a temporal recording. I mean, obviously if this didn't happen then the resulting projection would wind up in a different location from the player when it's played back, but that seems like a natural and potentially cool thing to me? Maybe this is some kind of side effect of some sort of changes related to the set player role function's interaction with time tokens, although I can't imagine why those would be related in this way.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 02-02-2021 10:52 PM]
02-01-2021 at 09:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1062
icon Re: Teleport Player command interrupts time token recording (0)  
Teleporting cancels recording in 5.1.0.6512, so this isn't a regression in 5.1.1

This probably intended for simplicity reasons. (see: why I fixed the clone potion thing)

02-01-2021 at 10:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
I dunno what "simplicity reasons" really means when a scripting command could happen in basically any context, depending on what the architect wants? I'd just like it on record that I greatly disagree that this should disable recording.

If anything, I'd argue that there should just be a script command to end time token recording if that's wanted for some reason, and other script commands for the most part shouldn't have that as an arbitrary side effect. This comes down to the same reason I didn't think set player role should end recording. Ordinary elements like potions, horns, etc. are a completely different issue from scripting.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 02-02-2021 12:58 AM]
02-02-2021 at 12:55 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Appreciate the feedback!

Mind if I move this thread to the FR board?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-02-2021 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
I guess that's fine, but is "remove this side effect from an existing thing" really a request for a feature? It seems more like a "feature removal request", but I suppose we don't have a board for that. So is an unwanted feature a bug, or is its removal a feature?

I'll go ahead and retitle the thread to clarify what the request is, anyway.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 02-02-2021 10:57 PM]
02-02-2021 at 10:51 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Teleport player without interrupting time token recording (0)  
Right. In this context, a FR is a request to change how the game works.

Thanks!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-03-2021 01:40 AM]
02-03-2021 at 01:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Teleport player without interrupting time token recording
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com