Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Type to filter in DROD lists
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
IP: Logged
icon Type to filter in DROD lists (+1)  
Scripting is cool in DROD but finding what you want usually takes a bit more time than one wants. Ctrl+letter helps a little bit, but if you want Wait until Var it's not that helpful.

Therefore I'd like to propose a feature that could apply to all/most of the lists in the game - type to filter. Essentially if the list has focus, you can type letters, space and numbers to filter the values by what you typed.

Let's say you want to find a command. You type "wait" and it hides every command that does not have the word "wait" in it. Type "wait var" and it displays the one command that has both words (in any order).

Type "var" and you get Set Var and Wait Until Var.
Type "w v" and it returns those commands which contains both letters.

11-23-2020 at 09:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734

File: NiceDayForFishingAintIt.gif (700.4 KB)
Downloaded 93 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Type to filter in DROD lists (+1)  
FUNCTIONAL:

- Fixed a bug where using shift+tab to navigate back through the focus list would never focus the first element -> for example in the add command dialog you could never get back to the list of commands by using shift+tab
- Added a new filtering to some of the lists which works like this:
- Type letters and space to filter the list
- It will limit the items in the list only to those that match every word you type
- Enabled the filtering on:
- Add command dialog: list of commands and most of the lists in there
- Customize character dialog: character list
- Character management dialog: custom characters list, type list
- Build Levels screen: list of holds
- Hold selection screen: list of hold

NOTES FOR TESTERS:

Here are some issues I've found/introduced during development and fixed. It's best to double check them, and you can test all of them on the command list dialog.:
a) Select some option -> Filter so that it's not available -> Up/Down arrows wouldn't select things
b) (Add Command dialog) Select some option -> Filter so that it's not available -> widgets for the selected option would not be available
c) Scrollbar was not resized
d) The last item in the list was not available in the filtering if there were more things in the list than can fit
e) Filter -> Select an item -> remove the filter -> The list would scroll away from the currently selected item
f) Filter -> It was still possible to scroll down as if the list was not slimmed down

PR

And here is an example:

Click here to view the secret text

11-23-2020 at 09:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: Type to filter in DROD lists (+1)  
Oh man, I can't wait to test this! Looks to me like this obsoletes this FR of mine, so feel free to mark that as duplicate.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

11-23-2020 at 10:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Type to filter in DROD lists
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com