Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Backwards compatible demos
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 175
IP: Logged
icon Backwards compatible demos (0)  
Schik wrote: This will be more complicated than usual, because demos made in 5.2 will not be importable by 5.1 or earlier, even if the hold is 5.1 or earlier.

How about a checkbox in the demo export screen that saves the demo in the version used to create the hold rather than the current engine. There are demos posted in H&S for GatEB that can't be played in 4.0.

11-10-2020 at 01:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1299
icon Re: Backwards compatible demos (+2)  
This is risky. It's entirely possible that there's a breaking change that could be triggered in an old hold, meaning that you could have valid demos be imported but appear invalid in an old version. Not a terrible idea, but I'm not sure it's worth it given that using the newer engine does not require buying the game.
11-10-2020 at 03:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Backwards compatible demos (+1)  
Won't be implemented for reasons Someone Else already pointed out + that's a lot of additional work for very little value.

It is annoying that there are demos for 4.0 holds that you can't play in 4.0, but I think a better solution would be to have the same engine version everywhere.

11-23-2020 at 11:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Backwards compatible demos
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com