Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : TSS 5.1.1
Page 2 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
IP: Logged
icon Re: TSS 5.1.1 (+1)  
Just tried 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-18 and looked at two example holds I made to demonstrate issues, gentryii falling down pits causing random swords to appear, and eyes appearing when character portraits changed.

Neither seems to have been fixed, although the new version number is showing up in the main menu. Are your sure this build actually includes all the fixes?

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 10-18-2020 03:12 PM]
10-18-2020 at 03:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: TSS 5.1.1 (0)  
Whoops! Nope. Sorry. One moment...

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-18-2020 at 03:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer

File: drod.5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-18.zip (2.7 MB)
Downloaded 49 times.
License: Public Domain
Let's try this again.

Dev build 2020-10-18.

10-18-2020 at 03:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer

File: drod.5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-29.zip (2.7 MB)
Downloaded 49 times.
Updated dev build (up to PR 252).

10-29-2020 at 08:01 PM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: TSS 5.1.1 (+2)  
Note to testers:

There has been a lot of code changes in effects logic, how effects are drawn, room rendering and lighting. I've tested each change as thoroughly as I could but I am a single man against a beast that is DROD.

So feel free to test everything you can think of in the game, test all the effects you know of in all the configurations of lighting, weather, fog, image overlays, overhead images, bumping, scripting - anything you can think of and report back if anything looks wrong.

10-29-2020 at 10:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Thank you, forgot to mention that. Yes, that's right.

One man, against an empire.

Quite fitting. But you're not alone! We are here to help.

-------

One other detail I need to call out is that the import/export process of the game was optimized, and the file format used in this build of 5.1.1 and going forward is slightly changed. This means that earlier versions of the 5.x engine won't recognize any files exported from this version or later. (All the player/hold/demo data inside the file, on the other hand, is still backwards compatible, as always. Not sure that distinction matters, but I'm trying to spell out this change as clearly as possible.)

Edit: Hmm...possibly that means we should release this build as "5.2" based on the export file version change alone, to make clear that files exported from this version can't be loaded into pre-5.2 engines. That's probably the right call to make (even though we have more new features coming after this release; those should now probably be bumped to 5.3.)

Any objections?

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-29-2020 10:30 PM]
10-29-2020 at 10:25 PM
mrimer
So no objections to bumping to 5.2 yet. When I make a RC build, I'll call it 5.2.0. I'm not planning to change the hold version #, but maybe this should be done as well, as holds exported in this version won't be importable into 5.1.0 and earlier.

11-02-2020 at 07:04 AM
mrimer

File: drod.5.1.1.alpha.2020-11-01.zip (2.7 MB)
Downloaded 43 times.
Here's a new dev build, up to PR 273.

11-02-2020 at 07:05 AM
mrimer
mrimer wrote:
So no objections to bumping to 5.2 yet. When I make a RC build, I'll call it 5.2.0. I'm not planning to change the hold version #, but maybe this should be done as well, as holds exported in this version won't be importable into 5.1.0 and earlier.
BTW, we have a couple additional options here. The three options are:
1. Back out the import/export fixes, and then we could release everything else as 5.1.1 instead of 5.2. Import/export fixes would be deferred till 5.2, along with new game features (listed in first post).
2. Release the dev build as 5.2 when ready. Bump hold export version. Delay new features till 5.3.
3. If we are okay going forward with releasing as 5.2, as we'd be bumping the hold version for #2 anyway, we could also fold in all the other new features implemented for 5.2 with this release instead of delaying them till a 5.3 release.

If you have any preferences on which way we manage these release stages, feel free to share them.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-02-2020 06:59 PM]
11-02-2020 at 06:53 PM
skell
Here are my arguments for releasing 5.1.1 first:

1. There are really significant changes in how the game is rendered, there will likely be some bugs and edge cases that the community can help us find and squash before 5.2 is ready.
2. I am sure everyone is eager to try all the new changes and improvements and they'd hate to wait another 2-4 months for the actual release.
3. We already have an enormous changelog, it'd be good mentally to just draw a line and release what we have, rather than play the feature creep game.
4. I am terrified about how many demos will be broken when we run the spider, I'd rather check them sooner than later.
5. The sooner we can fix the mac sound bug on Steam the better.

11-02-2020 at 07:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
skell wrote:
Here are my arguments for releasing 5.1.1 first:
These points all make sense, and I'm tending to go with your suggestions at this point, as you're driving much of what's happening and I'd like to make things as easy as possible for you.

Okay...I'm going to work on backing out the export fix for now and resubmit it on the 5.2 dev branch. I think the import changes can stay in place, as they're backwards compatible. Everything on the server can stay as-is regardless of when the export fix is released.

Edit: PR

I wrote it to be trivial to reintroduce the export optimization when we're ready for 5.2. (PR)

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-04-2020 06:56 PM]
11-02-2020 at 07:49 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228

File: drod.5.1.1.alpha.2020-11-03.dmg (14.1 MB)
Downloaded 47 times.
icon Re: TSS 5.1.1 (+5)  
Here's a new OS X build containing changes up to #283. It also has CaravelNet support. As always, a .dat file is not included.

Thanks to disoriented for helping me troubleshoot and fix a few big issues!

[Last edited by slimm tom at 11-03-2020 10:54 PM]
11-03-2020 at 10:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer

File: drod.5.1.1.alpha.2020-11-04.zip (2.7 MB)
Downloaded 44 times.
Dev build with changes up to PR 290.

I may be wrong, but I think once we've verified all fixes, we'll be ready to produce a release candidate build.

11-05-2020 at 12:38 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
I don't know if it's too much to ask, but is it possible for the next Mac build to be a universal binary (Intel and ARM)?

Apple is now actually selling ARM/M1 based Macs. They should be able to run Intel binaries using their Rosetta translation software, but native is always better of course :D

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 11-10-2020 10:25 PM]
11-10-2020 at 10:25 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
I've not looked into what that entails, but I don't expect it to be trivial. For starters, the libraries we use probably won't work on the ARM based Mac.

Given my limited free time I won't be pursuing this, but someone else is welcome to try.
11-11-2020 at 11:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer

File: drod.5.1.1.beta.2020-11-12.zip (2.7 MB)
Downloaded 53 times.
All known issues on our radar fixed.

Bumping this up to a "beta" label.

11-12-2020 at 05:24 PM
bbb
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 215

File: Screenshot_drod.png (453.2 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
Attempting to compile on Linux (built using the nostatic option):

In FrontEndLib/BitmapManager.h, in line 150:

CBitmapManager::DarkenTileWithMultiTileMask should be DarkenTileWithMultiTileMask [fixed -- mrimer]

../../FrontEndLib/BitmapManager.h:150:7: error: extra qualification ‘CBitmapManager::’ on member ‘DarkenTileWithMultiTileMask’ [-fpermissive]

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5642367/extra-qualification-error-in-c

I'm also getting a bunch of errors such as

../../FrontEndLib/Sound.cpp:988:42: error: cannot bind non-const lvalue reference of type ‘std::string&’ {aka ‘std::__cxx11::basic_string<char>&’} to an rvalue of type ‘std::string’ {aka ‘std::__cxx11::basic_string<char>’}

related to the UnicodeToUTF8 function.

Figured out the problem. These calls to UnicodeToUTF8 are called with a char* argument, which is implicitly converted to std::string.

Fixed this by adding this too Wchar.h

#include <cstring>
static inline void UnicodeToUTF8(const WCHAR *pwsz, char* cstr)
{ std::string str; UnicodeToUTF8(pwsz, str); strcpy(cstr,str.c_str()); }

[fixed -- mrimer]

Now to the next error...

../../DROD/GameScreen.cpp:3023:84: error: no matching function for call to ‘min(int, float)’
3023 | const float durationFraction = min(1, (dwNow - dwStart) / (float)dwDeathDuration);

Fix - replace 1 with 1.f. (Somewhat off topic, why float and not double?) [fixed -- mrimer]

Next error - requires another variation of UnicodeToUTF8():
static inline void UnicodeToUTF8(const WSTRING& wstr, char *cstr)
{ UnicodeToUTF8(wstr.c_str(), cstr); }

[fixed -- mrimer]

Runtime problems:

Problem with old pngs and new libpng versions:
Fixed with the line
png_set_option(pPNG,PNG_MAXIMUM_INFLATE_WINDOW,PNG_OPTION_ON);
added on line 117 of PNGHandler.cpp.

(This probably needs an ifdef around it.)

It is finally running now.

An old problem: The font spacing is messed up. (The screenshot is from the help screen, but the title screen also shows it.)

A new problem: The backgrounds of the roaches crawling across the title screen are opaque.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-17-2020 09:32 AM]
11-16-2020 at 05:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer

File: drod.5.1.1.beta.2020-11-17.zip (2.7 MB)
Downloaded 42 times.
Thank you for the list of things to fix, bbb.

I've marked off the compile-related issues that I've made and merged into the repo.

Feel free to submit pull requests to the public drod repo for any changes you're making in addition to get things working for Linux on your end. If there are any issues doing this, please let me know how I can help.

The roaches title screen issue may be another PNG lib-related issue. What version of libpng are you using?

------

Here's a new Windows beta binary.

All recently posted issues and regressions have been addressed, including multiple light rendering glitches and artifacts, as well as a few game logic regression fixes caught by skell's victory demo sweep.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-18-2020 12:11 AM]
11-18-2020 at 12:09 AM
mrimer

File: DROD5Patch5_1_1_339.exe (2.9 MB)
Downloaded 45 times.
Also, here's a Windows beta patch installer so we can start validating the patch upgrade process.

11-18-2020 at 12:27 AM
bbb
mrimer wrote:
The roaches title screen issue may be another PNG lib-related issue. What version of libpng are you using?

The current 1.6.37. It looks like drod uses 1.2.6. (which should at least be upgraded to 1.2.59.)

The png option fix needed is caused from libpng starting to by default trust zlib, causing some (somewhat) faulty png files to fail. From http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/libpng-manual.txt :

Libpng-1.6.0 through 1.6.2 used the CMF bytes at the beginning of the IDAT
stream to set the size of the sliding window for reading instead of using the
default 32-kbyte sliding window size. It was discovered that there are
hundreds of PNG files in the wild that have incorrect CMF bytes that caused
zlib to issue the "invalid distance too far back" error and reject the file.
Libpng-1.6.3 and later calculate their own safe CMF from the image dimensions,
provide a way to revert to the libpng-1.5.x behavior (ignoring the CMF bytes
and using a 32-kbyte sliding window), by using

png_set_option(png_ptr, PNG_MAXIMUM_INFLATE_WINDOW,
PNG_OPTION_ON);

and provide a tool (contrib/tools/pngfix) for rewriting a PNG file while
optimizing the CMF bytes in its IDAT chunk correctly.

You can see preprocessor conditions which can be used here:

https://git.sailfishos.org/mer-core/qtbase/commit/33ebe6009872229ceca4171e7e6934f919affc1f

11-18-2020 at 05:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
mrimer wrote:
Also, here's a Windows beta patch installer so we can start validating the patch upgrade process.
SDL2.dll and SDL2_ttf.dll are missing from the installer and DROD will not run. Previous stable version uses SDL1 (I think Steam always uses SDL2, am surprised the non-Steam version did not until now).

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-21-2020 03:24 PM]
11-18-2020 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
slimm tom wrote:
I've not looked into what that entails, but I don't expect it to be trivial. For starters, the libraries we use probably won't work on the ARM based Mac.

Given my limited free time I won't be pursuing this, but someone else is welcome to try.

It's probably fine and DROD will run in Rosetta 2, but it would be good to find someone with an Apple Silicon Mac to test this.

As far as a native build, Xcode apparently makes it easy by selecting an option, but I'm guessing the existing Mac build process is substantially different from that.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
11-20-2020 at 11:14 PM
mrimer

File: DROD5Patch5_1_1_344.exe (3.8 MB)
Downloaded 50 times.
kieranmillar wrote:
SDL2.dll and SDL2_ttf.dll are missing from the installer and DROD will not run. Previous stable version uses SDL1 (I think Steam always uses SDL2, am surprised the non-Steam version did not until now).
Thanks for reporting this.

Here is an updated installer including all the .dll files, plus the newest fixes.

11-21-2020 at 03:25 PM
kieranmillar
Oh dear, Microsoft Defender thinks that installer has a trojan and deleted it after I downloaded it. This wasn't a problem with the previous one. (Also not a problem with today's RPG installer).

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 11-21-2020 04:12 PM]
11-21-2020 at 04:12 PM
mrimer
kieranmillar wrote:
Oh dear, Microsoft Defender thinks that installer has a trojan and deleted it after I downloaded it. This wasn't a problem with the previous one. (Also not a problem with today's RPG installer).
Yikes! Huh...no idea offhand how to fix this in the InnoSetup 6 installer. Seems a known issue.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-21-2020 07:45 PM]
11-21-2020 at 07:42 PM
skell
Does DROD even need an installer? I think nowadays unpacking ZIP archives is common knowledge, and we can always use a self-extracting zip archive.

11-21-2020 at 09:44 PM
mrimer
skell wrote:
Does DROD even need an installer?
Well...that's kind of a philosophical question. Does anyone need a computer? :P

I'd prefer we have an installer. Beyond this brand new issue, is there a reason we wouldn't want one?
I think nowadays unpacking ZIP archives is common knowledge, and we can always use a self-extracting zip archive.
That's a good suggestion as a fallback approach, though it feels like it's speaking more to the hardcore user than the casual player. I'd personally prefer this part of the experience feels more accessible to the broader player base, and I think the installer workflow provides that. I have an open mind about this.

Since the issue isn't occurring with the RPG 1.2.8 patch installer, my intuition is that there's probably some setting in the 5.1.1 installer that's getting flagged. If so, we can isolate it and leave it out to fix the issue. We can start the investigation by comparing the RPG and TSS patch installer config scripts.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-22-2020 04:49 AM]
11-22-2020 at 04:45 AM
bbb
Going back to my png transparency problem, it happens also in gameplay. I don't think the issue is ONLY the libpng version, since my compiled previous version doesn't have that issue.

It looks like the section dealing with transparency is much shorter now. I need to now find which action was skipped/changed.

[Last edited by bbb at 11-25-2020 12:43 PM]
11-25-2020 at 12:18 PM
skell
bbb wrote:
It looks like the section dealing with transparency is much shorter now. I need to now find which action was skipped/changed.

There was code for handling key color in palette-based PNGs which was broken in the SDL version we were using and causing heaps of issues with image overlays.

11-25-2020 at 12:47 PM
mrimer
bbb, check out these changes:

https://github.com/CaravelGames/drod/pull/58

Seems like there is something here that we needed in builds like yours, but we can't simply reintroduce it as-is.

11-25-2020 at 04:11 PM
Page 2 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : TSS 5.1.1
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com