Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : New features for doors
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
IP: Logged
icon New features for doors (+1)  
For starters, what about the ability to combine door types? Stylistically, they would look like the level-tarstuff-clear gate from the fake let's play. But in my vision, a stripey door would toggle when either condition is met. So a red and black striped door would toggle when a room gets cleared of either all tarstuff, or all trapdoors. And then toggle again when the other condition is met. This is different from just making a passage blocked by an open black gate and closed red gate, because this way, it doesn't matter which order you meet the conditions in. But in conjunction with the following idea, it's probably best to keep the color yellow out of anything to do with stripes.

In RPG, orbs and pressure plates can be hooked up to doors of any color. If that were possible in classic DROD, you could have a room where you step on a pressure plate to release some monsters, but it also closes an open green door to keep you in a space with them. Then the green door would just naturally toggle to let you out once the room is clear. Good for keeping things compact. And there's still a use for yellow doors with this system. After all, we need something that reacts to nothing except orbs and pressure plates.

Finally, I noticed that it's not possible to place orbs on an open door. Of course this makes sense, since the orb is an obstacle. But it is a bit convenient, because it means my final idea won't break any existing rooms. Closing a door with an orb on top should activate that orb. It would allow an architect to wire up things like fire traps that turn off when the room clears, or a binary counter mechanism that locks the player in if they hit an orb too many times.

Admittedly, these are things that would be befitting the release of an entirely new game. But I'm good with that, there's still plenty of story potential about life on the new surface.

[Last edited by averagemoe at 06-27-2019 05:38 PM]
06-25-2019 at 07:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: New features for doors (0)  
These are fascinating and somewhat mind-bending ideas! I'll be thinking on them, and thanks for posting them.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-27-2019 at 07:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dying Flutchman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
icon Re: New features for doors (+2)  
I like the way you're thinking. I guess we shouldn't expect a drod update anytime soon. But I this case, the feature is actually quite easy to implement through scripting. Are you building a hold around this? I would be interested to see what you have in mind regarding puzzle ideas.

So: nice idea. But you're completely misguided about the design. Of course these Double Doors (TM) should be dotted. Like Easter eggs.

06-27-2019 at 07:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: New features for doors (0)  
That's a nice idea!

We could have them be speckled, like those color blindness tests.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-27-2019 at 03:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1300
icon Re: New features for doors (+2)  
Yes! And then people could lie about what number is hidden there and mock me forever again. :(

Jokes aside, not a bad idea!
07-04-2019 at 04:28 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : New features for doors
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com