Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Tarstuff gates can toggle in rooms that go from zero tarstuff to zero tarstuff
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
IP: Logged

File: Tar gate transformation.hold (933 bytes)
Downloaded 25 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Tarstuff gates can toggle in rooms that go from zero tarstuff to zero tarstuff (+2)  
This is pretty minor and probably has to do with when tarstuff gates are toggled within turn processing. It is possible to have a room with no tar in it and a closed targate that changes into a room with no tarstuff in it and an open targate. In the attached hold, the tarmother eye is not on tar. On the same turn that it grows, a powder keg goes off due to floorspikes and destroys the tar that grew under it. The tarstuff gates toggle.

01-11-2019 at 03:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Tarstuff gates can toggle in rooms that go from zero tarstuff to zero tarstuff (0)  
Thanks for posting this.

If I understand correctly, you're saying that the correct behavior should be that the targate does not toggle on this turn in this scenario?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-12-2019 at 09:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
icon Re: Tarstuff gates can toggle in rooms that go from zero tarstuff to zero tarstuff (0)  
I tested a similar scenario with a keg on a fire trap, and activating the fire trap on turn 30 left the doors in the same position as when the turn started. I don't know if that's happening due to no toggling or due to the doors toggling twice, but presumably what happens in that situation should also happen in this one.
01-13-2019 at 02:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: Tarstuff gates can toggle in rooms that go from zero tarstuff to zero tarstuff (+1)  
Yeah, I guess the expected behavior would be for the doors to toggle twice, though I cringe at the thought of the room that requires that bit of technical arcana. I think it makes sense as long as the doors remain in the same state though (since there is no tarstuff in the room either before or after).

What's probably happening with the spike trap vs fire trap is that the spike traps get processed earlier in the turn than the fire traps. Oddly enough, spike traps are supposed to process before tar gates toggle while fire traps are supposed to process after. This is according to skell's super cool master list of turn order processing:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QS9Vk3xsd4jlGF23J8p7c2IM5cmhwmoe6eCEaaAn8jY/edit#heading=h.ocovx14zokm4

The order is supposed to be
1) Tar grows
2) Spikes process
3) tar gates toggel
4) fire traps process

So I would have thought fire traps would have been the problematic element since they happen after gates toggle. Not sure what's going on.

01-13-2019 at 02:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
An easy check for whether the door closes zero or two times would be to have a closed door with a fuse on it.

I agree that going from no tarstuff to no tarstuff should leave the doors in the same state, although depending on turn sequencing of events there could possibly be a single turn with the door toggled from its initial state.

01-13-2019 at 04:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Tarstuff gates can toggle in rooms that go from zero tarstuff to zero tarstuff (+5)  
I just reproduced this issue with debugger attached and the explanation is fun - the tar gates are NOT re-closed immediately when the tar grows, but the tar counter grows. Before the toggling happens, though, spikes hit keg which explodes the newly created tar which reduces the tar count to 0 which means tar gates have to toggle. So now there is 0 tar and the gates are the opposite way. When the time comes to toggle the tar gates from tar growth there is no tar left so the game thinks "okay, nothing to do here, I'll leave things as they are kthxbai".

I'll write a few test cases and fix it - because the current untoggle happens at the wrong time, I'll fix it by this situation causing no toggle to happen at all.

09-28-2020 at 02:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Tarstuff gates can toggle in rooms that go from zero tarstuff to zero tarstuff (+1)  
09-29-2020 at 10:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2668
I checked the example hold, modifying it to put fuses on the doors. In 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-16, on turn 30, no toggling occurs, in line with what skell said he would make happen when this situation occurs, the fuses remained in tact.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 10-17-2020 02:36 PM]
10-17-2020 at 02:36 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Tarstuff gates can toggle in rooms that go from zero tarstuff to zero tarstuff
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com