Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : rowrows hold:How To Keep Idiots busy. (Easy rooms)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

6.1/10 (22 votes)
σ 2.25
Author Name:rowrow
Submitted By:rowrow
Hold Name:Rowthro's hold : How To Keep Idiots busy
Theme:Easy rooms
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:3
Number of Rooms:25
Number of Monsters:1734
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: rowrows holdHow To Keep Idiots busy.hold (15.2 KB)
Downloaded 2595 times.
License: Other
icon rowrows hold:How To Keep Idiots busy.  
My first hold. I know I can do better.There are jokes in it.Many of them. Thank everyone who tested this hold.
11-25-2004 at 02:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
cbemom
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 36
icon Re: rowrows hold:How To Keep Idiots busy. (0)  
This was a fun break - not too tough.

A very enjoyable hold.

12-07-2004 at 06:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
yarnexpress
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 24
A very enjoyable hold. Perfect for the end of a grueling day. Fun to play. I was sorry it was only 2 levels.
12-10-2004 at 10:33 PM
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
It's three levels. And I agree it's a fun, diverting hold. Perfect for when you're tired and want a light challenge rather than an insanely difficult one.

I did have one room in which I had trouble - L3 1S2E - but that was mostly a matter of horde control rather than a difficult puzzle.

12-10-2004 at 10:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
icon Re: rowrows hold:How To Keep Idiots busy. (+1)  
Thanx all..I did try to make it hard but it wouldn't work so I made it easier. I am making another soon.

12-10-2004 at 11:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
yarnexpress
Rank Points: 24
Yup, 3 levels. Typo.
12-14-2004 at 02:19 AM
rowrow
Can someone please PM me general ideas? I am talking about telling me to make a theme about little space or mimics or trapdoors.Thanx.

12-14-2004 at 03:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: rowrows hold:How To Keep Idiots busy. (+2)  
Why not try this simple idea to help you (which is incidentally part of the method I use for building holds):

In Microsoft Excel, or some other table producing program, or even by hand, generate a grid where each column and row has a monster or element header (title), and each element and monster has one row and column to itself, a bit like this:
            Roach   Queen   Eye     Wraithwing   ...
Roach      |
Queen      |
Eye        |
Wraithwing |

If you order them so that the elements and monsters are listed in the same order in both the row and the column, you can cross out or fill in all the squares below the diagonal line where the column and row both have the same element or monster in them, since those are just repeats.

Now just choose a combination of two monsters or elements, and build a room. Later, you can tick it off on your chart, and then choose something else. Obviously trying to build one room to tick off each square might be a bit silly, but you can get a general idea about what sort of rooms you've already made, and so what sort of rooms you haven't, and could make.

If you want to be adventurous, you could make an expanded version where you could introduce three elements at a time (this is quite time consuming, however), or even abandon the table and turn it into a full-blown list (this is also very time consuming as well).

My overall advice is that the more effort you put into your hold, generally, the better your results will be. Try to find the style of hold planning that suits you best. I tend to analyse, so I go for approaches that I can analyse at any time, and will give me the opportunity to analyse things later.

12-15-2004 at 11:58 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Another thing...If you want to see some good ideas for puzzle types, look at Architect's Toolkit 7.

-Noah

[Edited by NoahT at Local Time:12-24-2004 at 10:04 AM: Accidental space before comma]

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

12-24-2004 at 10:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
selotte
Rank Points: 22
You succeded in keeping me busy, but how do I manage the roach in the box with the orbs close to in Level 1 1S 1W, so you can see I am an idiot?? :?
02-18-2005 at 10:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rowrow

02-18-2005 at 03:40 PM
selotte
I ment the one in the middle with only one roach in it`s own room.. When I open, the roach is just behind, and I canīt move any place I can see.
02-18-2005 at 09:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rowrow

02-18-2005 at 09:39 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
I give this hold a fairly low rating because:

1. Very easy. Except a couple rooms on level 3 mostly hack 'n slash.

2. A room like level 3, 1S2E really could use more save pts in more useful locations.

If you're looking for mostly mindless fun, this hold can provide a good distraction.

And ROWROW, there is another way to do level3, 1E.
06-10-2005 at 08:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
I am fixing many things that should have been fixed before you weren't able to fix it. I already have it ready. It is also possible to do level 3 entrance in a much easier way.

06-10-2005 at 10:53 PM
HopelessAmateur
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 177
Rowrow, the download won't load into AE - gives ERROR: File corrupted.

Cheers :thumbsup
07-20-2005 at 03:27 PM
rowrow
That is because it is updated with JTRH and in 1 room there is even a jtrh monster.

07-20-2005 at 04:09 PM
HopelessAmateur
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 177

File: rowrows hold.hold (10.8 KB)
Downloaded 102 times.
License: Other
rowrow wrote:
That is because it is updated with JTRH and in 1 room there is even a jtrh monster.
Yes I thought this might be the case. Shame.

The top of the page says "Version: Architects Edition".

The Architects Edition version is attached to this message. Heartfelt thanks to TripleM for not clearing out the trash...:glasses

[Last edited by HopelessAmateur at 07-21-2005 09:21 AM]
07-20-2005 at 04:16 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Excellent hold! Thoroughly enjoyed it...
07-24-2005 at 11:51 PM
selotte
HopelessAmateur wrote:
rowrow wrote:
Yes I thought this might be the case. Shame.

The top of the page says "Version: Architects Edition".

The Architects Edition version is attached to this message. Heartfelt thanks to TripleM for not clearing out the trash...:glasses
07-25-2005 at 11:33 AM
selotte
Trying to play the new hold, but have problems in level 1 1n1E, How can I clear the tarbaby in the small rum in north and clear the tarbaby in southeast before it grow?

07-25-2005 at 11:38 AM
rowrow
You have just enough time to do it. You have no moves to spare.

07-25-2005 at 04:59 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I think I'm not going to finish this hold. Not because it's bad, but because I'm tired of it giving me so much technical problems. I already played most of it earlier (as you can see in my high scores)

This hold is cursed. There's always something that prevents me from playing it throughly.

I just tried to finish this hold, but all my restore data had disappeared. :?
I've had lots of downloading problems with this hold before and... surprise, surprise: I played few first rooms in first level because there wasn't any restored data, but got no uploaded stats. :(
Quick look at demo list tells first that "I'm not connected at Caravelnet" (which isn't true). Pressing f6 for the second time shows the message "This hold is not published at Caravelnet"

Unsurprisingly, I've got a greyed hold at the bottom of the list.

Goodbye. I just deleted How To Keep Idiots busy for good.
07-26-2005 at 11:46 PM
jamie
Rank Points: 365
Doom wrote:
I think I'm not going to finish this hold. Not because it's bad, but because I'm tired of it giving me so much technical problems....

Sounds like it kept you busy ;)

Joke! :lol

07-27-2005 at 12:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rowrow
Hey everyone. Finally someone figured out what I did. Doom, that was the intended way for the hold to be finished and I cursed it and made it so that idiots will be kept busy. No joke!

[Last edited by rowrow at 07-27-2005 05:59 AM]
07-27-2005 at 05:56 AM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
I realize this was meant as something of a joke but I didn't enjoy the hold all that much. Lack of checkpoints, longish serpents that go all around the room multiple times, there weren't really any puzzles, just busywork and staying alive. Maybe that makes me an idiot for finishing it ;)

07-02-2013 at 07:43 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : rowrows hold:How To Keep Idiots busy. (Easy rooms) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com