Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : DROD Tower defense ?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dali
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 174
IP: Logged

File: DROD TD experience 1.hold (15 KB)
Downloaded 30 times.
License: Public Domain
icon DROD Tower defense ? (0)  
I'm a fan of tower defense games, such as bloon tower defense, dungeon defenders 1&2, kingdom rush, some other lil flash games too. They're also pretty popular game, so I thaught why not mixing drod and tower defense gameplay? I think this can lead to a fresh new type of gameplay.

For those who doesn't know what a tower defense game is (I highly doubt about that), The player needs to defend a base from incoming ennemies by placing towers around the map, and the player himself is also often involved in killing ennemies, repairing/upgrading towers, casting skills, ...

I don't know how to program games, so I used what I could use for now, which is DROD build section. I did a small hold trying to use this concept, everything is explained in-game. The result is a bit awkward but I hope interesting. Player will have to manage 2 main values, Health base (HP) and a currency, Greckles.
(Note: It hasn't been tested by other than me, it's still experimental)

Some issues encountered and some comments:

-First of all and I think it's the most obvious one, DROD is turn-based game and not a time based game. But we still can use the "turns" to replace the "time" to make some interesting fighting puzzles where the player needs to place the correct towers at the correct place and make the best decisions.

- There are no real elements we can use as a tower, I tried to use mimics, decoy (overpowered :p ), clones and items as "towers", but still I feel something is missing. also huge amount of scripting NPC is often needed to make something viable.

- We can affect to the base a health value, but monsters have no real health. I mean, they die and that's it (with some exceptions). with scripting it's possible to affect them a health value but I couldn't exploit this correctly, I wish a thing such as "wait for player to stab me" or "wait for a sword/weapon to touch me".

- Elements in DROD rarely affects things in range. For example, Aumtlich affects in range with his gaz, and even with that I couldn't use it to damage the base.

Consider this topic as a workshop for this idea.

04-21-2018 at 02:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: DROD Tower defense ? (0)  
I'm not really that keen on tower defence, but I'm familiar enough with it to get the concept.

Some immediate thoughts based on what you've said:

Towers:
In TD games a tower attacks enemies as they pass by. In DROD there are a number of elements that could do this: fire-trap, hot tile, floor spikes, fluff vents, stalwarts/soldiers (especially if they can't move). Even adders going in circles might work as a funny tower.
The most obvious element though would be the scripted mimic. Have an invulnerable scripted character with a sword that just spins constantly.

HP:
You might be able to simulate having health by having a monster replaced by another monster under some circumstances. Going the scripting route, for instance, a roach queen that steps on a hot tile could be replaced with a roach, or something like that. In general though, with DROD you are probably better off just having more monsters.

Aumtlich beams damaging the fortress:
Have an orb that toggles a door somewhere. Every time that door is toggled the fortress loses one life. Have a stalwart act as the "target" that the aumtlich needs to hit to damage the fortress. Place the stalwart to the W of the orb, facing NE. Place a wubba N of the orb (NE of the stalwart). With this setup the stalwart will always try to stab the wubba, but every time the aumtlich stuns the stalwart the stalwart will rotate and hit the orb.
You might need to fiddle with this to get it to do what you want, but it should help. A simpler setup if you only want the fortress to have a few hit points would be to have cracked/broken orbs blocking a fuse that you don't want lit.

04-21-2018 at 05:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
In TD games a tower attacks enemies as they pass by. In DROD there are a number of elements that could do this: fire-trap, hot tile, floor spikes, fluff vents, stalwarts/soldiers (especially if they can't move). Even adders going in circles might work as a funny tower.

Ok It's true. There's a lot of items available to use in DROD, we just need to find a way for the player to choose where to place them. otherwise, if these towers have fixed places, the game has no interest.

HP:
You might be able to simulate having health by having a monster replaced by another monster under some circumstances. Going the scripting route, for instance, a roach queen that steps on a hot tile could be replaced with a roach, or something like that. In general though, with DROD you are probably better off just having more monsters.

I was thinking about a monster that needs to get stabbed for example 3 times instead of one, a bit like an adder but in one square.
I hesitated to use NPC as invading monsters, I did it only once in wave 6. then i said let's stick with normal monsters, but with scripting we can come up with interesting properties.

Aumtlich beams damaging the fortress:
Have an orb that toggles a door somewhere. Every time that door is toggled the fortress loses one life. Have a stalwart act as the "target" that the aumtlich needs to hit to damage the fortress. Place the stalwart to the W of the orb, facing NE. Place a wubba N of the orb (NE of the stalwart). With this setup the stalwart will always try to stab the wubba, but every time the aumtlich stuns the stalwart the stalwart will rotate and hit the orb.
You might need to fiddle with this to get it to do what you want, but it should help. A simpler setup if you only want the fortress to have a few hit points would be to have cracked/broken orbs blocking a fuse that you don't want lit.

Cool idea :) You seem to have some good scripting knowledge. (I didn't even know how the "target" was working ... If I knew that I think my hold would be somehow different.)
It might be a bit ugly to see, but yes it's a nice trick to use.
04-21-2018 at 09:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Is this going to be a discussion thread about TD in general in relation to DROD (which makes sense to keep in General forums) or do you want to create a TD hold (in which case I'll move the thread to Architecture board), Dali? :)

04-22-2018 at 10:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
skell wrote:
Is this going to be a discussion thread about TD in general in relation to DROD (which makes sense to keep in General forums) or do you want to create a TD hold (in which case I'll move the thread to Architecture board), Dali? :)

I hesitated between Feature request, General and Architecture. I mainly want to know if people find interesting to make a mini engine like DROD-RPG based on tower defense. If not then we'll explore more options with DROD 5.0 so in this case, this topic shouldn't be here but rather in architecture as you said.

04-22-2018 at 02:12 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: DROD Tower defense ? (+2)  
I feel kinda like DROD already is a tower defense game. Think about it...

You build and release your hold.

Wave after wave of Beethros controlled by different players attack it. Some get through your defenses.

Maybe you could win if your hold was so hard that nobody could beat it.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 04-24-2018 10:11 PM]
04-24-2018 at 10:10 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
ErikH2000 wrote:
I feel kinda like DROD already is a tower defense game. Think about it...

You build and release your hold.

Wave after wave of Beethros controlled by different players attack it. Some get through your defenses.

Maybe you could win if your hold was so hard that nobody could beat it.

-Erik

Hmm ok "boss" :p

I might reformulate this idea in an architecture topic, I'll probably remove this thread.
04-25-2018 at 12:27 PM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
I moved the thread to architecture then :)

04-25-2018 at 01:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : DROD Tower defense ?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com