Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : A proper 5.0 end sequence (for KDD)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
IP: Logged

File: 50 ending.hold (7.3 MB)
Downloaded 56 times.
License: Public Domain
icon A proper 5.0 end sequence (+7)  
The ending sequence from AE was adapted into the mastery level of KDD 2.0, and now I have adapted it into a cut scene in the 5.0 engine.

This is meant to go with some NPCs in the main dungeon that allow the ending to change depending on actions the player took while going through the dungeon. I have included a "setup level" that allows for easy setting of the variables. What follows is a proper list of how to integrate them into the hold proper.

Click here to view the secret text

Though I arranged the copies of the rooms used in the demonstration in a similar way to the 2.0 end sequence, I'd rather prefer if the final product made actual use of the corresponding rooms in the main dungeon, and have therefore set it up so that the cutscenes in them only play if a variable is set.

Also, note that there is no voice acting, and the timing of the cutscenes may need to be adjusted if Caravel picks this up and adds that.

Finally, there is a system that will send the player back to the living room for a brief dialogue before ending the hold if it detects monsters in the room, and the ending was reached through level 25. For the purposes of this demonstration, I have temporarily disabled it. To turn it back on:
Click here to view the secret text

Edit: Less buggy now.

[Last edited by averagemoe at 03-29-2018 06:53 AM]
03-23-2018 at 02:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
robin
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 842
icon Re: A proper 5.0 end sequence (0)  
This is what I was missing in my AE hold I made for 4.0 and 5.0 (check my signature for the link and you'll understand ;) )

03-24-2018 at 11:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
averagemoe
Oh, about the images I used, they were done by editing screenshots. I got rid of the white text boxes in some of them by using parts of the KDD 2.0 versions of them, but if someone who has the original white-boxless versions of those images (Probably Caravel) can replace them with cleaner versions, that'd be nice.

03-25-2018 at 05:23 AM
averagemoe
I apologize to those of you who find thread bumps offensive, but I made some important changes, and simply editing the first post won't notify anyone from the main page that anything is different.

03-28-2018 at 05:41 PM
averagemoe
It is by definition, impossible to promise something that hasn't happened yet, but this feels like the last revision that will occur to me without outside influece. Basically, I made it so that using the shortcut doesn't mess up any variables that might make it weird for if you use it again on the same playthrough.

03-29-2018 at 06:57 AM
Jordthro
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 100
icon Re: A proper 5.0 end sequence (+2)  
I just want to tell you that I am super happy you made this, averagemoe. One of my greatest experiences in gaming was beating AE without looking up any hints when I was going to college. I couldn't believe I made it to level 21, 22, 23... 24? Then came the showdown with the 'Neather. Then came the last screen. It was so awesome to step down those final stairs. And I was totally unprepared for one of the greatest endings ever. It just kept going on and on, and it showed footage from when I was actually playing (which was hilarious at times!). It was so, so awesome and genuinely funny at times.

Fast forward a few years and I played the updated KDD and was expecting a replay of the same ending. Woah, was I super disappointed! Worse than the fact that none of my old footage was saved was that I somehow had to slog through playing levels I had already beaten in some kind of twisted universe where my victory lap was replaced with more work--not even new levels--they were literally an entire level of rooms that I had already beaten. I honestly felt bad for people who would never play AE and understand the greatness they were missing out on. Sure the new KDD was a much better engine (even 1 move undo is a vast improvement over none), but I *loathed* the new ending.

All that to say, you did it. You brought the greatness (as best you could) of the AE ending to the new engines. I really hope your ending gets incorporated in the official hold because it's a really bad move to have the player slog through a final recap level when they should just be basking in the funny story recap between Beethro and his nephews. Wish I had +100 mod points to give you, you deserve them.

[Last edited by Jordthro at 11-05-2018 10:07 AM]
11-04-2018 at 08:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
robin
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 842
icon Re: A proper 5.0 end sequence (+1)  
I'm going to use your script in my KDD AE hold.
But I have some questions, it's been a long time since I scripted stuff for DROD and so I forgot some stuff...
The level 16 NPC, use a "set var c1 = .memory"
I searched the "." commands in the help files, but I'm not sure what it does in your script.
I do understand the purpose of the script, it's to check which "room" you did first.
But if someone can explain me what ".memory" can do or can be used for.

Thanks

11-10-2018 at 08:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
averagemoe
robin wrote:
I'm going to use your script in my KDD AE hold.
But I have some questions, it's been a long time since I scripted stuff for DROD and so I forgot some stuff...
The level 16 NPC, use a "set var c1 = .memory"
I searched the "." commands in the help files, but I'm not sure what it does in your script.
I do understand the purpose of the script, it's to check which "room" you did first.
But if someone can explain me what ".memory" can do or can be used for.

Thanks

Beginning any variable name with a period means it only applies to the particular NPC that uses it. Any other NPC that sets the variable will get it's own personal "version" of the variable to set and read.

I think my reason for using it there was a sort of "code golf" move to take advantage of the fact that it doesn't carry over between rooms, so I could leave out a command to reset it. It actually seems a bit pointless now that I've forgotten and been reminded.

11-10-2018 at 06:14 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : A proper 5.0 end sequence (for KDD)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com