Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : "Wait for Threat Clock"
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
IP: Logged
icon "Wait for Threat Clock" (+5)  
I propose a script command. A query that returns true if the threat clock is in the position indicated by the value of _MyScriptX, or whatever number the architect inputs to the individual instance of the command.

My purpose for suggesting it is so that a hypothetical scripted monster that's supposed to be influenced by the threat clock doesn't get messed up by speed potions.

03-17-2018 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: "Wait for Threat Clock" (+1)  
Take my +1's. The existence of workarounds like "timekeeper" characters and characters that "watch" speed potions and set an "ishasted" variable or whatever does not change the fact that this would be immensely convenient to have.

EDIT: Obviously the integer in question should go from 1-60 to account for "half turns". Or, 0-59, whatever. At any rate, given the option between not having access to half turns when they happen and having a slightly confusing convention where we divide by 2, I'd choose the latter. But possibly someone else will have a better suggestion for how to handle half-turns.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-18-2018 01:38 AM]
03-17-2018 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1062
icon Re: "Wait for Threat Clock" (0)  
Terrible half solution from my terrible software engineer brain: use positive numbers to wait for full turns, negative numbers to wait for half-turns. So we have [1, 30] + [-60, -1] as the inputs.

Please provide objections before I do something stupid and implement this good feature request in a terrible (or secretly very good?) way.

[Last edited by hyperme at 03-20-2018 04:57 PM]
03-20-2018 at 04:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
In that implementation would 15 and -30 always be equivalent, or would the negative numbers only be valid when the player is hasted, and positives only work when moving at normal speed?

If it was the latter it would give us a way to check the status of the players haste (checking if the threat clock is below zero would return true) but I guess might also add complications if you want to check the clock but don't know what the players haste status will be, but maybe that's rare enough to not matter.
03-20-2018 at 05:50 PM
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
icon Re: "Wait for Threat Clock" (+1)  
I demand the use of imaginary numbers to denote quarter-turns.

Official Hold Progress

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

03-20-2018 at 06:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
It might work better for negatives to just be the half-turn after their positive counterpart. So -1 is a half-turn after 1, -30 is a half-turn after 30 (or 0 if you step on a potion as soon as you enter the room). This way, you can easily have a custom element that pauses on half turns by having it check if the threat clock is positive.

(Maybe even make that an option you can set in the interface for the command, for convenience?)
03-20-2018 at 06:21 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : "Wait for Threat Clock"
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com