Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The Second Sky : Ore Refinery : 1 South, 2 West
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Blooloo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
IP: Logged
icon The Second Sky : Ore Refinery : 1 South, 2 West (+1)  
So,
Click here to view the secret text

I feel like I'm not only on the cusp of a solution, but a rather elegant one at that. I just need that extra push.

[Last edited by Blooloo at 12-19-2017 06:52 AM]
12-19-2017 at 06:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: The Second Sky : Ore Refinery : 1 South, 2 West (+2)  
Those are terrific insights, but unfortunately, as far as I know, there isn't really a clean way to do this room based on them. It comes down to trial and error in the end. The general strategy I used was to get off the diagonals (to de-sync the roaches) and to keep the nearest roach at least one tile away for as long as possible. Then try to jostle them around in such a way that you can time a good pass by the spike traps. Once you've killed the first one the rest are much easier.

Of course, the timing and jostling is easier said than done. I won't lie, Unlimited Undo helps a whole lot with this. A lot of the difficulty comes from the fact that it is not really practical to predict how the roaches will move due to move order. Unlimited undo (or even just setting undo to 5 or so) can help you by letting you finesse the timing by small amounts. You can take a path that almost works and add an extra couple of less efficient moves to get it perfect.

12-19-2017 at 04:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
icon Re: The Second Sky : Ore Refinery : 1 South, 2 West (+2)  
Just did this room on a replay, and there is one trick that makes it a lot easier.

Click here to view the secret text

05-27-2020 at 05:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The Second Sky : Ore Refinery : 1 South, 2 West
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com