Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Cobined hazards (Due for HA entry)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dying Flutchman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
IP: Logged

File: Combined hazards.hold (30 KB)
Downloaded 31 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Cobined hazards (+1)  
I put together a new hold, basically two different levels, both focussing on combining two elements.
1) Time clones & time pressure (that is, use clones, but be quick or precise as well)
2) Gentryii & plates

Who'd like to test? I would be very greatful!

Don't hesitate to point out what's bad/wrong/no fun etc.

Changelog:
31 Oct - Many fixes, see response to Insoluble below.
2 Nov - Some more fixes
8 Nov - Even more fixes and minor improvements that needed more thought.
20 Nov - And yet more fixes. Added storyline and layout + removed unintended solution from Gentryii level.
24 Nov - Removed lots of hot tiles from Gentryii level.
6 Dec - Last edits, final call for testing (if you feel like it).
10 Dec - ...and... gone to HA

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 12-10-2017 04:40 PM]
10-29-2017 at 08:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dying Flutchman
icon Re: Cobined hazards (0)  
Oh by the way:

There's probably a lot to tell about the hold, but prefer to keep my request short. Don't want to spoil/direct your first impressions. Don't feel offended, there will be plenty of discussion later, I guess.

BTW2:

Yes, attentive players may (already have?) notice a problem with one of the secret rooms, where you need a sword but actually don't have one. I fixed that. (Yes, playing through a level is NOT the same as playing from the editor :rolleyes ) Will upload a new version later, when feedback from you has hopefully arrived.

Tnx again

10-31-2017 at 06:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638

File: Combined hazards.demo (19.3 KB)
Downloaded 27 times.
icon Re: Cobined hazards (+1)  
Right, I started playing through this a bit. Some demos are attached. I mostly played through the rooms in the time clone level. I don't think I was doing them the way you intended them to be done, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I get the feeling I'm not supposed to be able to clear the hub levels until reentering from their corresponding non hub levels, but both can be cleared from the hub.

Some thoughts on the time token level:

I'd found it really disorienting not having checkpoints on the time tokens. It's fairly standard practice at this point to put checkpoints on time tokens so that people can go back to the beginning of a timeline by hitting "R". That's such an entrenched habit that I found myself doing it anyway and accidentally going back to the room start instead. I'd say keep the checkpoints that you have, but add some under the time tokens. Looks like the other level has some rooms missing checkpoints completely and could probably use some. Otherwise it was a pretty neat level. Time clone puzzles are fun and these rooms were a lot of fun for the most part.

There were a lot of rooms in which I didn't need all the time tokens. That isn't necessarily bad, and many of these rooms were still fun.

The Entrance: has a fairly trivial solution using just one time token.

1W: Only needed 2 tokens, but not a bad room. I don't think this is trivial so much as just a short solution.

2W: I think I'm doing this the way you intended. I suspect you'll get some backlash on this one though, it's rather a lot of tasks to pre-program. I didn't bother trying to optimize my demo, but it feels like it's going to be a long room even when optimized. You could probably get the same idea across with just the first and last bit. It might also be feeling long to me because this was one of the rooms I accidentally pressed R in and got taken back to the room start.

1N2W: This was a neat room. I liked this one a lot. Haven't tried the secret variant yet.

1N1W: Has a trivial solution. The same thing probably works on the secret variant too.

1S2W: Looks like a mess of pressure plates. I skipped it on my play through but I'll try to go back to it.

1S1W: Can be done with two tokens, and to be honest it might very well be better that way. I'll say from first hand experience that when I tried to make a multi-push time clone room in the past it met with... mixed reviews. I personally wouldn't mind a fixed version of this room, but I suspect you'll get some backlash from others.
Click here to view the secret text

1S: Seems to work as intended. Nice room.

2S1W: Has a fairly trivial solution.

10-31-2017 at 08:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dying Flutchman
Hi Insoluble,

Seems you have broken many a thing...

Will see what I can/will/should fix.

Tnx for your remarks apart from unintended solutions, will also look at those.

Will also put checkpoints in place.

Be back in about two weeks, I guess.

10-31-2017 at 09:10 AM
Dying Flutchman
Note: New version of hold will be uploaded in the first post.

Comments/response secretized for better unclutteryness

Overall: a great big thanks for doing the lateral thinking for me on these rooms!

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 11-01-2017 08:31 AM]
10-31-2017 at 04:06 PM
Dying Flutchman
Some additions/changes:

Time Clone level 2W: this room had a suboptimal effort-satisfaction ratio. Removed a couple of arrows to make it quite accessible. Also added green door to prevent unintendies to mess with the room.

Time Clone level 1S1W: fixed the level to force intended solution. I am prepared to face the wrath of the drod community, but don't expect too much of it. The required solution is way easier than those used in Insoluble's hold...

11-02-2017 at 08:21 AM
Dying Flutchman
Dear all,

Are there any more players willing to test this hold?

I'm pretty confident with the T-clone level [I'm sure someone will break them when published anyways...], but really need some-one to try and break the Gentryii rooms :)

Remember: testers will be regarded with monumental attention in the hub!

Tnx!

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 11-08-2017 08:22 AM]
11-08-2017 at 08:22 AM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638

File: Combined hazards.demo (19.9 KB)
Downloaded 27 times.
I tried testing out the gentryii level. Ugh, chain straightening rooms are really not my thing. Sorry to say it, but I don't see myself playing through this whole level. Part of it is a personal dislike on my part for gentryii chain straightening rooms (check out skell's excellent video showing off how tedious it can be to predict these things even a few moves ahead). But also a lot of these rooms felt like they were mostly trial-and-error. I know what configuration I'm going for at the start, but there's no logical way to deduce how to get there other than testing out a bunch of possible moves. Maybe others will have a better time of it than I did.

A few things I will mention:
1) Since most of the floors are hot tiles, it's difficult to glance at the mini-map and tell what rooms are conquered and what rooms are clear. It might be nice to put a blob of normal floor in out of the way places in each room to make this easier since those will turn from red to green on the mini-map when you clear a room while hot tiles just stay orange.

2) It would be nice as a matter of convenience to include a place to change orientation near the entrances/exits to each room.

3) It looks like I can blow through the level only solving the entrance and 3W ans still get to the hub level 1S and clear that out. Am I meant to be able to skip most of this level and still clear the hold. Check the multi room demo I have to see how this can be done (if you start viewing the one labeled as (1) it will play through several rooms and exit the level without clearing most of it.)

11-20-2017 at 04:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dying Flutchman
Hi Insoluble,

Thanks again for testing, despite your stated dislike for gentryii rooms! Couple oif answers / nuances / fixes.

Insoluble wrote:
I tried testing out the gentryii level. Ugh, chain straightening rooms are really not my thing. Sorry to say it, but I don't see myself playing through this whole level.
Well, actually only one room is chain straigthening. And that one is very simple

Insoluble wrote:
But also a lot of these rooms felt like they were mostly trial-and-error.
Hmmm, I don't have the feeling that any of the rooms require much precision, I have no fixed ideas on move sequences in most of the rooms and basically just jump in to solve them. Don't have too many problems then. The rooms that do require precision can be predicted quite well.

But hey, fair enough that they don't make you tick. Let's wait what other testers will be saying.

Insoluble wrote:
1) It might be nice to put a blob of normal floor in out of the way places in each room to make this easier since those will turn from red to green on the mini-map when you clear a room while hot tiles just stay orange.
Good point. Did as suggested.

Insoluble wrote:
2) It would be nice as a matter of convenience to include a place to change orientation near the entrances/exits to each room.
Well, I didn't put those tiles in, but mainly for design reasons (like to have the rooms completely hot-tiled). I guess trading this for more playing convenience is a good idea. Did as suggested.

Insoluble wrote:
3) It looks like I can blow through the level only solving the entrance and 3W ...
Thanks for breaking things again :-)
Fixed.

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 11-20-2017 04:19 PM]
11-20-2017 at 04:18 PM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527
I wanted to try and test the Gentryii level, but I don't think I can give any terribly meaningful comments because I can't actually solve any of the rooms in it. A lot of the rooms really suffer rather than benefit from being filled with hot tiles, in my opinion; for example, a brained gentryii horde is bad enough without being unable to stop or turn the sword. I don't personally understand how to accomplish much of anything in the two or three "remotely manipulate brained gentryii" rooms because it's just not the kind of puzzle I've had a lot of experience with, and the same basically goes for the one about precisely-timed chain manipulation.

Here are some links to Things!

11-20-2017 at 08:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
Attempted the Gentryii level so far. Haven't cleared many rooms, these are my thoughts at the moment.

Outside of 2S, the hot tiles don't have much impact, which mostly just makes them a nuisance. However, 1S2W was the main room out of the ones I tried where I actively wanted to be able to turn more freely.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 11-20-2017 10:41 PM]
11-20-2017 at 10:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dying Flutchman
Hi testers,

Thanks for your input so far. What I've learned:
1) Appearantly, I have a knack for gentryii. Did not think the rooms too difficulult, but you seem to have some problems. I'll see what I can do. Options are:
a) making rooms fundamentally easyer, e.g. removing some monsters
b) doing something with the hot tiles (but as Dragon Fogel said, they are not really impacting most of the rooms in terms of difficulty. thery are rather a nuisance)
c) give some sutle hints perhaps...
d) build some practice rooms to give the player an easier entry into the puzzles

In any case, I'll have to make clear that the gentryii level is more difficult than the time clone level. Perhaps I'll set them up as novice/expert levels. Perhaps even as separate holds.
2)Hot tiles are not ok. I'll have to think about it. I actually like the idea of running around with gentryii at your tail and hot tiles do "enhance" that experience... Free turning could trivialize some of the rooms, but I'll try them with and without hot tiles to see what happens.

Now for some answers to your questions/remarks:
1S1W

2S

1S2W

I'll get to work and update within the next two weeks.

Curious to hear what other comments you have.

11-21-2017 at 03:04 PM
Dying Flutchman
Hi testers,

I uploaded a new version, with much less hot tiles. I guess Beethro will no get too tired from running around constantly now.

Care for a re-check? The puzzles should be simpler now, especially 2W, I guess.

Regarding 2S1W (Dragon Fogel was stuck here)

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 11-24-2017 10:01 PM]
11-24-2017 at 10:00 PM
Dragon Fogel

11-24-2017 at 11:30 PM
Dragon Fogel
So I just noticed you overdid it on removing the hot tiles in 1S1W; now the room can be solved trivially because you can stand on (19,9) all you want.
11-26-2017 at 02:00 AM
Dying Flutchman
Dear all,

I Made a final version, addressing all comments as well as I could. If anyone still feels the desire to test: please feel free to do so. I will be welcoming comments and suggestions.

If I don't hear from you, I'll submit to HA in a couple of days.

12-06-2017 at 10:40 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Cobined hazards (Due for HA entry)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com