Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Trek to "No Air" (Adventurous)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.9/10 (9 votes)
σ 1.37
Author Name:Garlonuss
Submitted By:Garlonuss
Hold Name:Trek to "No Air"
Theme:Adventurous
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:9
Number of Rooms:99
Number of Monsters:866
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:11 (+11 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Trek to No Air.hold (5 MB)
Downloaded 267 times.
License: Other
icon Trek to "No Air"  
Beethro goes on a job that leads him to places he never imagined were possible.
10-07-2017 at 10:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2379
icon Re: Trek to "No Air" (0)  
Quite a nice hold! It combines existing elements in new ways for new puzzle ideas in some places. Some cool graphical effects as well.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
10-16-2017 at 07:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: Trek to "No Air" (+1)  
This hold seems to have been overlooked by a lot of folks last year and it's a real shame. It has the feel of an official hold circa TCB and I suspect it would appeal to a lot of DROD players.

The hold was in architecture for ages and as a result most of the rooms focus on pre-TSS elements. There's some variety, with a heavy theme of rock giants on trap doors and making stepping stones in shallow water. Towards the end these elements start to feel a bit overused and I feel like there was maybe one too many rooms requiring me to kill another rock giant in just the right spot in a large patch of trapdoors, but on the whole this is a minor complaint. The only other minor complaint I had about this hold was the difficulty in navigating the second level's maze-like layout, but that's mostly a matter of personal preference.

"Trek" is very approachable and the first level is definitely below the current difficulty rating. The hold starts out fairly straightforward, but has a good difficulty curve for the most part with no levels feeling disproportionately difficult. Most of the difficulty lies in execution, but not in a tedious hack-and-slash or magic-move-sequence sort of way. Rather, there is a focus on strategically approaching monsters and sequencing what tasks to approach in what order. It's a type of difficulty that I think a lot of people here enjoy. It also makes for a very satisfying pace of progress and it's easy to get absorbed.

The biggest reasons you should go play this hold right now though are the story and the custom artwork. The story starts off in a typical way, but soon turns into a crazy romp that was utterly hilarious and a pleasure to follow. It's also no exaggeration to say that this is easily some of the best, if not the best custom artwork I've ever seen in a user made hold. The graphics and animations (yes!) really floored me the first time I saw them. You owe it to yourself to get past the third level just to see some of the amazing art in this hold.

01-10-2018 at 04:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Trek to "No Air" (Adventurous) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com