Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Outings with a Delver (Choose your activity)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.9/10 (16 votes)
σ 0.90
Author Name:ThemsAllTook
Submitted By:ThemsAllTook
Hold Name:Outings with a Delver
Theme:Choose your activity
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:6
Number of Rooms:65
Number of Monsters:550
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:15 (+15 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Outings with a Delver.hold (38.9 KB)
Downloaded 475 times.
License: Other
icon Outings with a Delver  
Five themed nonlinear levels of mostly lynchpin and resource management puzzles. Relatively light on combat.
04-22-2017 at 11:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Outings with a Delver (+1)  
ThemsAllTook makes LPs. DROD LPs too.

Now he made a hold.

It's a good hold. A really good, debut hold. The kind of debut hold you look at and think "After 13 years of playing DROD and being in the community I wish I could make something as good as this now, not to mention as my first hold".

It has 5 themed levels with puzzles of difficulty that's a little bit all over the place but that's okay because of the open format and because really it's impossible to make a hold with consistent difficult level as we all have our strengths and weaknesses.

Except Complex Complex it's uniformly impossible.

Play this hold if you want to experience happiness. Don't play it if you hate sense of satisfaction from completing something challenging in the best way possible.

Difficulty: 7
Fun: 9

[Last edited by skell at 04-24-2017 01:02 PM]
04-24-2017 at 01:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2430
Finished, seems I'm the first to do so since it left testing.

This was a really fun hold. Tough, but I was able to get through every room without hints. Solid first effort from Alex here.

Rooms might seem baffling at first, but they're almost all just about thinking about what you can do. There are only a few rooms where the difficulty is in execution, and even those are a matter of planning. The monster manipulation throughout the hold isn't that tough.

I don't often rate holds, but I'm tossing one over here. 7 brains, 10 fun; this hold was filled with the sort of rooms I enjoy playing.
04-27-2017 at 06:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
This is a good hold. It tests your knowledge of many different kinds of interactions in various rooms. Thanks to the open layout and freedom to play the five themed levels in any order, you don't have to fear getting stuck on a single puzzle. And if you do find something too difficult, the Hints board is there for you.

However, the rooms in general allow experimentation and discovery of the required interactions. This hold is a good way to learn about various interactions and techniques, and will give you answers to many questions, such as:

What things can I whack with a staff to get it to behave the way I want? More things than you might imagine.

What do Fegundos eat? You'll meet several with a particular diet.

What kind of things can you do while disguised as someone or something else? Many things, but sometimes the key is what you cannot do!

Did I say it's a good hold? It's great! I recommend it to anyone who has played at least some way into The Second Sky and is familiar with a good part of its new elements.

The Blank Canvas level deserves a special shout out. While the rooms in it were not the most difficult in the hold, they used one of my favorite themes: setting up the room layout before starting the action. This is something I'd like more architects to explore, and perhaps ThemsAllTook will try his hand at the theme again too.

Rated 7 brains and 9 overall.
05-20-2017 at 05:46 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1908
icon Re: Outings with a Delver (0)  
Nice first hold by Alex.

All the rooms involve interesting interactions or manipulations. Usually the more complex rooms can be tackled one section at a time.

Also, I recommend checking out the architects lp on youtube

:thumbsup
Enjoy!
06-14-2017 at 08:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Outings with a Delver (Choose your activity) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com