Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Fendik's Fortress (An Idea Generator Hold (and my first!))
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 748
IP: Logged
icon Re: Fendik's Fortress (0)  
Thanks again. Sixth level was mostly done as intended, although a number of rooms are open-ended enough that "as intended" is still different from how I solve them in many cases. I'm happy with your solutions, regardless.

Except for 3N, obviously. As you pointed out Halph was useless, and several other elements also weren't necessary. I changed 3N. No other changes from this feedback, so I'm pretty happy with Sixth Level at this point.

Click here to view the secret text

11-22-2022 at 08:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 644

File: three demos.zip (7 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Fendik's Fortress (+1)  
I tried to test some of the rooms, but wow, they were tough! I only managed to complete three rooms (demos attached), though I did understand what I should have done in most of them. I tried to break them, but failed, though I think I break at least one room.

Seventh level, 1S1E: the one I think I broke (IMO).
Mastery level 1E: I don't understand this room. It is marked required, but I literally lite the fuse and exit the room
Sixth level, 1N: cool and solid room, I liked it! Is Halph intended to be used in the east section as well to bring the lemmings? I didn't need him.

11-28-2022 at 07:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Thanks for the demos.

You did indeed break the Seventh Level room. I'll modify it so you can't take an invisibility potion while still in range of a brain.

The Sixth Level room was done as intended. Nice work!

The Mastery Level room is a copy of a secret room elsewhere in the hold (Fourth Level, if you want to go check it out). It's just some developer commentary, so it's not supposed to be a real puzzle. The monsters were removed.

I believe everything has been tested by at least one person except for all of Seventh Level and for Mastery Level 1W. The Mastery Level room won't be changed even if it's broken (which it probably is) so it's mostly Seventh Level that needs testing at this point. Testing on other stuff is still welcome, of course.

11-28-2022 at 08:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
KituU
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 219

File: Fendiks Fortress- KituU demos.demo (31.5 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
Hi, i upload what i managed to solve , before you update

7th level : solved 3 rooms
1S1E : this one was a lot of fun
1N1W : very nice
1S1W : did not use the potion
1W : a nightmare, still working on it, could not solve it yet

Mastery Level :
1W : is this the intended solution ? , Soldier does not chase Slayer

Changed rooms:
6th Level 3N : the challenge is a bit annoying,

Zeroth

2W : did the updated version
2N1W: thought it was too easy the first time, now it is a challenging puzzle, nice !

[Last edited by KituU at 11-28-2022 11:25 PM]
11-28-2022 at 08:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
icon Re: Fendik's Fortress (+2)  
Thanks for the demos.

Comments on demos:

Seventh Level 1N and 1W are the only rooms that I haven't received feedback on. I'm not sure if I'll get to it today or tomorrow, but I'll try to fix 1S1W as well. I'm okay with 1S1W as is, so I'll explicitly post whether I've changed that room or not when I do the next update.

11-29-2022 at 10:09 PM
KituU

File: FF Seventh Level 1N Victory.demo (4.3 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
Hi:
solved Seventh Level 1W : great puzzle, very clever, found it quite difficult to solve, demo

I'll try some more 1N, couldn't solve yet
11-30-2022 at 12:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Nice work! Lots of room in 1N for architects to make their own solutions. Yours looked good to me.

The demo was for 1N, so Seventh Level 1W is currently the only room without feedback (aside from "nightmare"). I just beat it again, and I suspect it's the hardest room on the level.

11-30-2022 at 09:13 AM
mauvebutterfly
Two rooms on Seventh Level were modified on this update.

December 5th, 2022:

At this point I don't really think there's anything left to do with this hold. I'll try to play through the whole thing once more over the next few days to create a complete demo set and am then considering sending this to the HAs.

If anyone is still wanting to send feedback or is currently testing the hold please notify me here or via PM and I'll be happy to wait on HA submission.

12-05-2022 at 08:02 AM
mauvebutterfly
Tester credits:

blorx1
Chaco
Insoluble
Dali
KituU
Red-XIII

Did I miss anybody? Would anybody here prefer a different name or to be removed from the tester credits scroll?

12-06-2022 at 09:05 AM
KituU
Hi, couldn't solve 1W

need help here, this are my assumptions so far

12-07-2022 at 10:06 PM
mauvebutterfly
It seems that you've figured out most of the mechanisms here. There's a particular pair of interactions that the room was built around. One is really obscure, but you've been using the other one.

Progressive hints:

12-07-2022 at 11:37 PM
KituU

File: FF Seventh Level 1W Victory.demo (4.5 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
Wow ! Very nice puzzle, turned out it wasn't a nightmare to record the temp after all.

12-08-2022 at 02:35 PM
mauvebutterfly

File: Fendiks Fortress - mauve.demo (70.4 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
Thanks for the demo! Looks like a much more efficient way of doing what I do, so I'm happy to see it work out.

With that, I think that this hold is done. Over the past several days I played through the whole thing one last time to get a set of demos that will be attached to this post. Demo pack includes both challenge and non-challenge demos for rooms with challenges.

Fendik’s Fortress Changelog:

12-09-2022 at 10:56 PM
KituU
Hi, watched your demo for 6th Level 3N Challenge, it is much better solution than mine

It is a nice puzzle, just a bit noisy :)
12-11-2022 at 12:00 AM
mauvebutterfly
Changes to Zeroth Level 2W to hopefully enforce the intended sequence of events.

12-16-2022 at 11:08 PM
mauvebutterfly
January 3rd, 2023:

Second Level 1S: modified challenge to check for guards instead of monsters
Seventh Level 1S1W: added checkpoints
Zeroth Level 2W: enforced putting the slayer in his place before releasing the spider; a bit hamfisted, but trying to be subtle about this keeps breaking the room so I think I'll just use the unsubtle option

01-03-2023 at 10:40 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Fendik's Fortress (An Idea Generator Hold (and my first!))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com