Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Twelve Days of Christmas (Our contest for December)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4591
IP: Logged
icon The Twelve Days of Christmas (+12)  
This contest is inspired by the Unfortunate Architect contest, which, I didn't realise until I dug up that link, was exactly twelve years ago -- a very appropriate time for a reprise :thumbsup

King Ebenezer the Eighth of Ephemera, Ephelna called his dungeon architects together. "A new dungeon in time for Christmas, your Majesty?" Cuthbert the Cautious inquired.

"It needn't be anything large or elaborate. I just want something to house all these monsters my girlfriend keeps sending me."

"I didn't know you had a girlfriend?"

"Well, not exactly. Just a rather airheaded actress I met at the pantomime last year, and foolishly got involved with. She keeps sending me presents to try to win me back, and now I don't know where to put them all. Hence, the new dungeon."

"What do these monsters consist of, your Majesty?" asked Norbert the Numerate.

King Ebenezer called for his fiddlers three, and sang:

"On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
Twelve roaches running,
Eleven goblins biting,
Ten guards a-leaping,
Nine aumtlich dancing,
Eight eyes a-watching,
Seven skippers swimming,
Six queens a-laying,
Five goooooooooooolems,
Four constructs,
Three wraithwings,
Two purple Slayers,
And a tar mother in a tar blob."

The architects walked away, scratching their heads....

Conditions

(Note that some of these are different from the original UAC, so please read carefully, and ask if you need further clarification.)

1. Construct a one-level hold, with the same hold and level name, and at most 12 rooms.

2. The total number of monsters must be exactly 12 roaches, 11 goblins, etc. (as in the song above). Note that this counts initially placed monsters: unlike the original UAC, having roach queens does not allow an unlimited number of roaches. (The queens are presented to you in frozen storage.) However, there is no limit on the number of monsters that may be spawned during play of a room.

3. Monster swap: Shady Sam the Serpent Man offers you a trade. You may give him your entire stock of one monster type, in exchange for one brain or snake (any length and any type: red serpent, rattleserpent, adder, gentryii). This trade is optional. If taken, it counts as a permitted exception to Rule 2 above.

4. Slayers: If you use a room-edge Slayer, every enterable edge tile of that room must be set to Slayer entry, and this counts as one towards your total.

5. Tar: The room with the tar mother may have any amount of initial tar (but no initial tar babies).

6. No other monsters. Except for the 12 types mentioned in the rhyme, and the possibility of taking Shady Sam's deal, you may not have any other monsters. Except for invisible characters, everything on the monsters tab counts as a monster, so this means no wubbas, no preplaced mimics, no stalwarts, etc.

7. No monster generators. The following are forbidden, since they can generate monsters: fluff vents, all forms of tarstuff (except for tar in the tar mother room), tarstuff switch tokens, the "Appear" and "Generate entity" scripting commands. For potions and horns, see Rule 8.

8. Drinks for Santa. You may include a maximum of one of each type of potion and horn. You don't have to include potions at all, and if you do, you don't have to use all types, but for any type you do include, you are limited to a total of one.

9. Other objects: Orbs, bombs, mirrors, etc. are not restricted. Use as many as you like.

10. Don't take the rhyme too literally. The actions are not important; for instance, your waterskippers may be on land, and your queens may be on a floor type that prevents laying. The rhyme is only there to restrict the number of each type of monster.

How to Enter

After posting this, I will open a submission topic. Post your hold file there when it's ready. Entries will be anonymised during voting, so go ahead and create your hold with the player file with the name you would like it to appear under in the final compilation.

Entries must be "Anyone Edit", must be masterable, and all challenges (if any) must be solvable. Usual HA rules apply.

The deadline for submissions is 11:59pm GMT, 21 December. Because of the verification process (see below), I will not start voting immediately, but on 25 December.

This is an official contest, so the usual prizes apply:

First place: 100 rank points and your pick from the Prize Pile
Second place: 50 rank points
Third place: 25 rank points
First-time entry: 10 rank points

Verification

Because this contest has very exact requirements for an entry to be valid, a verification process is necessary so as to be fair to everyone.

I will check the submissions topic every day, and when a new entry has been submitted, I will check it within 24 hours to make sure it fulfils the requirements. If it doesn't, I will inform the entrant by forum PM, and they will have until 24 December to submit a fixed entry.

If an entry is submitted and not fixed, it will still be entered in voting, but its final score will be reduced by 0.5 point for minor infractions (e.g. wrong number of a monster type) or 1 point for major infractions (e.g. use of a forbidden monster type). I will instruct voters to vote only for quality and enjoyability, and not to make additional deductions for infractions.

Good luck to everyone, and merry Christmas!

11-26-2016 at 05:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: The Twelve Days of Christmas (+1)  
One clarification even though I don't think it'll be relevant to me:

Does taking Shady Sam's deal with the tar mother mean you're left with a room of motherless tar, or that you don't use tar at all?

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

11-26-2016 at 05:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
In that case you should not include tar at all. (Thanks, I'd forgotten to consider that case.)

11-26-2016 at 05:39 PM
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
icon Re: The Twelve Days of Christmas (0)  
I'm not the one making a compilation, so it doesn't really matter to me but I'm kind of curious:
why are you asking for holds with the same hold/level name? I strongly prefer (for my own convenience, both when making the compilation and the individual hold) to give my hold a title like: Christmas entry blah blah blah, and have the level title be something creative.

11-26-2016 at 06:23 PM
Nuntar
I want to avoid what happened with Elemental Showcase 5.0, where a few entries used different hold and level names and there was no clear indication of which one to use for the compilation.

11-26-2016 at 06:31 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
A question because I'm a dummy. This is total monsters throughout the entire hold, and not 1 room for each monster type, right?
11-26-2016 at 06:35 PM
Nuntar
That's right. Of course, since the maximum is 12 rooms, you could put all the roaches in one, all the goblins in another and so forth (and one entrant did this in the original UAC). But you don't have to. The rules require 12 roaches in total, 11 goblins in total, and so on.

11-26-2016 at 06:38 PM
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
Other request: can we have 13 rooms, with one used only as an exit room?

11-26-2016 at 10:20 PM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
Question: Is custom media allowed? If someone wanted to use custom images (or sounds I suppose) say that fit with the theme, would that be allowed as long as they are not copyrighted?

Also:
Nuntar wrote: 3. Monster swap: Shady Sam the Serpent Man offers you a trade. You may give him your entire stock of one monster type, in exchange for one brain or snake (any length and any type: red serpent, rattleserpent, adder, gentryii).
No matter how many times you try to imply otherwise, I think you know deep down that gentryii are not actually serpents :P

11-28-2016 at 02:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: The Twelve Days of Christmas (+4)  
Insoluble wrote:
No matter how many times you try to imply otherwise, I think you know deep down that gentryii are not actually serpents :P
The Code wrote:
static inline bool bIsSerpent(const UINT mt) {return mt==M_SERPENT || mt==M_SERPENTG || mt==M_SERPENTB;}

static inline bool bIsSerpentOrGentryii(const UINT mt) { return bIsSerpent(mt) || mt == M_GENTRYII; }
...I guess it's official.

11-28-2016 at 03:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Nuntar
No custom media, so that entries are judged solely on the strength of their architecture. However, I don't mind if you include something you want in the eventual compilation, with the proviso that it will be removed from the version I put up for voting.

11-28-2016 at 02:59 PM
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
For the tar mother requirement, does this refer to just a single eye?
11-28-2016 at 11:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
No, you can have the standard two eyes on adjacent tiles, or you can remove one eye if you prefer.

11-29-2016 at 01:31 AM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
Regarding custom media, what does the mosaic frost tileset count as? It's included with the game so everybody has access to it, but it only appears in the 5.0 remakes, not in the main The Second Sky hold itself. It's not an official style, right?

That style has some nice music, and along with the frost motif, it seems like a good choice for a Christmas hold.

11-29-2016 at 03:53 AM
Nuntar
All custom roomstyles published on CNet are fine, since you're not incorporating media into the hold. I would draw the line at making a new roomstyle for the contest, not that I think anyone would be willing to devote that much time to an entry :lol

11-29-2016 at 04:27 AM
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
For the room with the tar mother, can there be tar not connected to the blob with the tar mother in it?

Can we do multiple Shady Sam trades?

[Last edited by bomber50 at 11-30-2016 06:26 PM]
11-30-2016 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
(1) Yes, any amount of tar, but only in that one room.
(2) No.

11-30-2016 at 07:23 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
Are we allowed to have guards/slayers with different weapons? As far as I know, this requires using characters and the Turn Into Monster command.
12-02-2016 at 12:57 AM
Nuntar
Sure, why not :cool

12-02-2016 at 01:51 AM
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
Just a few days left!

In the same vein as the blind race, I'm posting the timer widget for the deadline so everyone else (and me) will have an easier time planning their last minute rushes.

The deadline is
Local Time:12-21-2016 at 11:59 PM
and
negative 382 weeks, 5 days
from now.
12-17-2016 at 11:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
After a great deal of effort and a few hours of testing to make sure everything worked, I've submitted my ridiculously ambitious entry.

I still can't believe I pulled that off. I hope people enjoy it.
12-18-2016 at 07:17 AM
komachi
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 158
I made a hold for the contest, I think is decent.
Good luck to everyone!.
12-19-2016 at 02:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 187
uncopy2002 wrote:
Just a few days left!
I guess it's time for me to get to work on finishing my entry then.

(I finished the rooms without enemies about a week ago, but some enemies I hadn't encountered yet in the official holds so I thought I'd try a little of tSS to see if I could learn about them, and got distracted.)
12-19-2016 at 09:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Submissions are now closed. Thanks to everyone who entered! :thumbsup The voting compilation will be up as soon as I can manage.

12-22-2016 at 12:01 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Twelve Days of Christmas (Our contest for December)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com