Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Torus (DROD on a Torus!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.3/10 (14 votes)
σ 0.88
Author Name:Sebastien
Submitted By:Insoluble
Hold Name:Torus
Theme:DROD on a Torus!
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:9
Number of Rooms:10
Number of Monsters:61
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:23 (+23 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Torus.hold (1.8 MB)
Downloaded 399 times.
License: Other
icon Torus  
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to play DROD on the surface of a Torus? Yeah, me neither. But hey, you can give it a try anyway in this hold!

The main idea behind "Torus" is that all the rooms wrap around on themselves so that if you go off the north edge of a room for instance, you end up on the south of the same room. Because of this each room has a bit of a different feel from your typical DROD puzzle. Give it a try for something a bit fun and out of the ordinary!

I tried to emphasize fun over difficulty, so the seven puzzle rooms in this hold should be approachable to most DROD players. The first room eases you in to the new mechanics and there's even an optional tutorial to show you how to think about things. Huge thanks to Chaco and Doom the HA's who reviewed this, and to the beta testers Lucky Luc, Uncopy, IQubic, and Red-XIII.

What you'll find in this hold:
* Lot's of custom scripting in an anyone edit hold (so you can go into the editor and play around with these new scripted toys yourself if you want.)
* About 7 puzzle rooms ranging from super easy to maybe 6.5 brains
* Custom "artwork" (such as it is).
* Only a minimal number of lectures on topology!

NOTE: This hold has a level map. If you clear a level, it will be marked as cleared on the map with one exception. Due to my weak scripting chops, if you clear the room on the turn before you exit the level, the level map will not be marked as cleared on the map. You can easily rectify this by quickly re-entering and exiting the level. This will probably only be an issue for one or two levels for the most hard core optimizer.
11-15-2016 at 07:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2386

File: Doris_Stutter.png (74.8 KB)
Downloaded 737 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Torus (+1)  
Look, art! It's cool! Play this hold!

Click here to view the secret text

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 11-16-2016 06:36 PM]
11-16-2016 at 06:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented

File: Doris_contradiction.png (300.6 KB)
Downloaded 705 times.
License: Public Domain
A little confusion here:

[Last edited by disoriented at 11-16-2016 06:45 PM]
11-16-2016 at 06:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: Torus (+2)  
Gah! That's what I get for trying to script way more dialogue than should ever exist in a puzzle game. For the record, the roaches break ties by preferring west to east. I tried very hard to design the rooms so that yo never actually have to worry about fine details like this, so hopefully it doesn't lead to too much confusion.

11-16-2016 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
G Eye
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
You are a mathematical and computational genius!

05-05-2017 at 08:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: Torus (+2)  
Nice!

It was bugging me that the torus roaches weren't facing the way they wanted to move like normal roaches, so I worked out a fix for that. You basically need to change each Move command to "Forbid Turning" and add a Set _MyO = <dir> before each one. Makes it a little easier to see when the roach switches direction while moving down a one-width corridor. Updated script secreted just in case someone wants to make Torus 2 (Tworus?) at some point.

It's also bugging me that one of the trapdoors in the final room is different but I can't do much about that.

05-10-2019 at 02:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
just in case someone wants to make Torus 2 (Tworus?) at some point

I think we’d all like to see what Doris is up to these days.

05-10-2019 at 04:19 AM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
Thanks for fixing the scripting up! I'm also kind of bothered by that trapdoor now that you point it out. This hold was put together pretty quickly so a lot of little details like that slipped through the cracks I guess.

If anyone is interested in using any of the scripting or custom images in this hold please feel free to do so. I'm not really planning to make a sequel any time soon, but would be happy to collab with anyone interested in doing so. Or feel free to make whatever you want on your own!

05-11-2019 at 03:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Torus (DROD on a Torus!) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com