Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : GatEB Steam: No sound for Mac
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TestyBlankMonkey
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
IP: Logged
icon Re: GatEB Steam: No sound for Mac (0)  
morbus wrote:
Do you have a /usr/lib directory in the Terminal? (run: "ls -l /usr/lib")
Do you have a /usr/local/lib directory in the Terminal? (run: "ls -l /usr/local/lib").

Okay, that first line of code returned with a whole bunch of data that spans roughly three times the height of my 27-inch mac, dating all the way back to march last year. The second line returned data roughly 1/4 of the height of my screen and they are all dated 2013-14.

I see the words "root wheel" a lot.

I have no idea what I am looking at. :thumbsup
09-10-2019 at 03:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
morbus
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
icon Re: GatEB Steam: No sound for Mac (+2)  
What you describe is what you _should_ see, so you're good.

That means both those directories actually exist, which rules out the possibility that "Operation not permitted" or "Permission denied" was thrown because those directories don't exist. Which brings us back to either a) Your Steam games are not installed in the location my commands think they are or b) You typed in your password wrong three times in a row to the "sudo" command.

To see if your game/libraries are where I think they are, run:

ls -l ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common/DROD\ Gunthro\ and\ the\ Epic\ Blunder/DROD.app/Contents/Frameworks
09-10-2019 at 03:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TestyBlankMonkey
morbus wrote:
either a) Your Steam games are not installed in the location my commands think they are or b) You typed in your password wrong three times in a row to the "sudo" command.

To see if your game/libraries are where I think they are, run:

ls -l ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common/DROD\ Gunthro\ and\ the\ Epic\ Blunder/DROD.app/Contents/Frameworks

Returned with this error:

-bash: s: command not found

However..... While I was trying out the sudo for the first time I DID actually type in my password wrong 3 times, because I did not realise that my password would not show, so I pawed at my keyboard several times like a cat in front of a fish tank.

Did I break it? :fun
09-10-2019 at 03:18 PM
morbus
icon Re: GatEB Steam: No sound for Mac (+5)  
-bash: s: command not found: You likely forgot the starting "l" of "ls". Try again.

Regarding your password: you did not break it, but after three failed attempts, your command did not run at all (i.e., you didn't break anything, but you also didn't fix anything). I would try the following again:

sudo ln -s ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common/DROD\ Gunthro\ and\ the\ Epic\ Blunder/DROD.app/Contents/Frameworks/libvorbisfile.3.dylib /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.dylib

And also:

ln -s ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common/DROD\ Gunthro\ and\ the\ Epic\ Blunder/DROD.app/Contents/Frameworks/libvorbisfile.3.dylib /usr/local/lib/libvorbisfile.dylib

If you'd like, we can chat on Steam chat to make this easier.
https://steamcommunity.com/id/morbus_iff/

[Last edited by morbus at 09-10-2019 03:23 PM]
09-10-2019 at 03:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TestyBlankMonkey
icon Re: GatEB Steam: No sound for Mac (+4)  
morbus wrote:
-bash: s: command not found: You likely forgot the starting "l" of "ls". Try again.

Regarding your password: you did not break it, but after three failed attempts, your command did not run at all (i.e., you didn't break anything, but you also didn't fix anything). I would try the following again:

sudo ln -s ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common/DROD\ Gunthro\ and\ the\ Epic\ Blunder/DROD.app/Contents/Frameworks/libvorbisfile.3.dylib /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.dylib

Solution found! Follow Up:

After chatting with Morbus, who is a literal wizard on steam chat I was able to get around my 3 failed password attempts. and re-navigate the false directory. I feel like my password lockout was on some sort of timer? not sure. Many thanks to Morbus for his insight!
09-10-2019 at 03:54 PM
Alias180
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
morbus wrote:
I believe I have a fix for this:

ln -s ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common/DROD\ Gunthro\ and\ the\ Epic\ Blunder/DROD.app/Contents/Frameworks/libvorbisfile.3.dylib /usr/local/lib/libvorbisfile.dylib

Many, many thanks for your help, Morbus! The game is so much more fun with sound for me! I am so happy now that everything is running as it should be!

I am using the latest Mac OS X Version (10.15.1) and I had to do the following steps:

1. Fixing the "not-permitted" error: osxdaily.com/2018/10/09/fix-operation-not-permitted-terminal-error-macos
2. Running this line of code in the terminal: sudo mkdir /usr/local/lib
3. And finally running your script with this version: sudo ln -s ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common/DROD\ Gunthro\ and\ the\ Epic\ Blunder/DROD.app/Contents/Frameworks/libvorbisfile.3.dylib /usr/local/lib/libvorbisfile.dylib
11-28-2019 at 09:34 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
slimm tom, it's possible this issue could be resolved with your build and packaging setup (as opposed to the one I cobbled together). May I assign this one to you to investigate?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-03-2020 at 06:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1226
icon Re: GatEB Steam: No sound for Mac (+1)  
Sound definitely works correctly in the TSS build I'm producing, so I guess I could easily build a new version of GatEB for Steam when we get to that point. I guess there's some extra steps involved to build the GatEB version, like bundling the correct data/help files for that and setting the correct flags. Don't think this is currently included anywhere in the repo on GitHub.
10-03-2020 at 01:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
slimm tom wrote:
Sound definitely works correctly in the TSS build I'm producing, so I guess I could easily build a new version of GatEB for Steam when we get to that point. I guess there's some extra steps involved to build the GatEB version, like bundling the correct data/help files for that and setting the correct flags. Don't think this is currently included anywhere in the repo on GitHub.
Yeah, I always had sound on my dev machine too.

Sure, we'll test this out with players more broadly when we're ready to produce a Steam build.

10-06-2020 at 05:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
OK, I've been working with disoriented to get the latest bundle to work on his system. We've been successful, but it seems this issue persists.

The libSDL2_mixer-2.0.0 refuses to use the bundled libvorbisfile.3.dylib and instead looks for a libvorbisfile.dylib in /usr/local/lib. An inspection of all the dylibs and the drod executable reveal no direct dependency on this file. A quick Google search yields results similar to the issue at hand, so I will try and see if I can diagnose the problem further and hopefully fix it.
10-21-2020 at 10:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
icon Re: GatEB Steam: No sound for Mac (+4)  
I can confirm that sound works in the latest TSS 5.1.1 Mac build from slimm tom (alpha.2020-10-17-v5.OSX.dmg). There was one assertion failure in the drod.err:

Assertion error in line 1424 of ../../FrontEndLib/Sound.cpp: "(UINT)nUseChannel < CHANNEL_COUNT"

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
10-22-2020 at 12:47 AM
slimm tom
It seems I got lucky and managed to fix this rather quickly. I had to rebuild the SDL_mixer lib with some different settings to be able to explicitly link to the bundled versions of the vorbis libs.

Thanks to disoriented for helping me debug this issue!

Will post a new public build later.

[Last edited by slimm tom at 10-22-2020 11:49 AM]
10-22-2020 at 11:49 AM
mrimer
Thanks so much to you both!

Tom, at your convenience, would you please submit a PR documenting your changes in the appropriate place in the repo for posterity?

10-22-2020 at 03:17 PM
slimm tom
icon Re: GatEB Steam: No sound for Mac (+3)  
mrimer wrote:
Tom, at your convenience, would you please submit a PR documenting your changes in the appropriate place in the repo for posterity?
Absolutely! PR
10-22-2020 at 09:21 PM
mrimer
Thanks!

Wow! That looks like it was a tricky issue. I really appreciate you running that one down.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-22-2020 10:09 PM]
10-22-2020 at 10:09 PM
pamacdon
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
morbus wrote:
/usr/lib/libvorbisfile.dylib would usually NOT exist on your system.

Do you have a /usr/lib directory in the Terminal? (run: "ls -l /usr/lib")
Do you have a /usr/local/lib directory in the Terminal? (run: "ls -l /usr/local/lib").

Following this thread trying to get my sound working but no luck yet. the initial fix did not work posted on the first page.
When i fun the above two lines the first seems to react as anticipated but the second gives me
"ls: /usr/local/lib: No such file or directory"

I'd love to get sound on before i start the next (3'rd) hold i play

07-15-2022 at 04:44 AM
morbus
pamacdon wrote:

The first thing I'd try running is "sudo mkdir /usr/local/lib" and then the original fix again: "sudo ln -s ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common/DROD\ Gunthro\ and\ the\ Epic\ Blunder/DROD.app/Contents/Frameworks/libvorbisfile.3.dylib /usr/local/lib/libvorbisfile.dylib". These commands will ask you for your OS X user password.
07-20-2022 at 05:03 PM
Stinky
Rank Points: 11
icon Re: GatEB Steam: No sound for Mac (+1)  
morbus wrote:
pamacdon wrote:

The first thing I'd try running is "sudo mkdir /usr/local/lib" and then the original fix again: "sudo ln -s ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common/DROD\ Gunthro\ and\ the\ Epic\ Blunder/DROD.app/Contents/Frameworks/libvorbisfile.3.dylib /usr/local/lib/libvorbisfile.dylib". These commands will ask you for your OS X user password.

OMG thank you it worked!!!
12-18-2022 at 08:37 PM
artobstrel95
Rank Points: 13
icon Re: GatEB Steam: No sound for Mac (+3)  
mrimer wrote:
Thanks!

Wow! That looks like it was a tricky issue. I really appreciate you running that one down.

Should this already be fixed on Steam btw? I have v5.1.0.6537 (at least according to changelog.txt) and still no sound. The workaround works though.

Always happy to give access to a Mac machine if necessary to produce a new build.
03-19-2024 at 04:23 AM
mrimer
artobstrel95 wrote:
Should this already be fixed on Steam btw? I have v5.1.0.6537 (at least according to changelog.txt) and still no sound. The workaround works though.
Thanks for asking, and also confirming the workaround worked for you.

I understand we have a Mac fix lined up, and I still need to prepare and push version 5.1.1 to Steam for Mac.

03-19-2024 at 06:57 PM
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : GatEB Steam: No sound for Mac
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com