Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : A Simple Hold
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bomber50
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 872
IP: Logged

File: A Simple Hold V4.hold (25.2 KB)
Downloaded 37 times.
License: Public Domain
icon A Simple Hold (0)  
This is a new hold I've created, aimed to be both accessible to beginners and fun for more experienced players. Aiming below the 3 brain mark and trying to use as few information scrolls as possible. Hopefully, a brand new player won't have too much trouble.

Each level tends to focus on a couple different elements. Many of the rooms involves lynchpins, and there are very few horde rooms. Not all elements will appear; many of the more complex elements will go unused.

Currently five levels done.

[Last edited by bomber50 at 09-14-2016 07:43 PM]
08-31-2016 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
icon Re: A Simple Hold (+1)  
Very nice so far. Each level takes a set of elements and thoroughly explores its puzzle potential at a very simple level, which should be accessible to beginners but not trivial. There were several linchpins I spotted at once due to having seen them before, but also many that were fun to work out.

As with Avos' Dungeon and time tokens, or Pickle Cellar and constructs, it's particularly fun to see an element that's usually reserved for later in order of introduction (here speed potions) placed earlier so its potential can be explored at this level.

Just a few small queries:

L2 2N1E: Sure, the sister gate shows us something new, but it's weird that the lesson on Q-W-ing roaches comes after rooms like L1 1S1W and L2 2N2E where you have to know how to use your sword.

L2 4N3E: I was surprised how simple this was, and wondered if you could do a more interesting puzzle with a larger trapdoor area so that finding the correct path took more thought.

L3 6E: needs checkpoints

L3 2S5E: I wasn't sure what the point of the free-roaming roaches was. Looking in the editor at where they start, I suppose it's to show that they don't move onto potions, but this is really easy to miss when rushing in to play the puzzle, and in any case I think the puzzle itself shows this clearly.

08-31-2016 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
icon Re: A Simple Hold (0)  
A new version, adding a fourth level!

Changes:
Click here to view the secret text

L2 4N3E, I am unsure about changing. It is pretty easy, but it might be tough for a new player.
09-10-2016 at 11:54 PM
bomber50
New version. Level five is finished!
09-13-2016 at 10:35 PM
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431

File: A Simple Hold V3.demo (45.9 KB)
Downloaded 28 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: A Simple Hold (+1)  
Some new feedback:

L4 5E: The North plate only disables two of the 4 doors sealing the plates.

L5 2S2E: Because of turn processing shenanigans, just placing an armed decoy with its sword onto the orb will solve the room.

L5 4S1E: Ouch, this is much harder than the rest of the level. Even more so than every secret up to this level.

Demos attached because it's a good habit.
09-14-2016 at 05:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bomber50
Uploaded new version, with several changes based on uncopy's feedback.

09-14-2016 at 07:35 PM
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
bomber50 wrote:
Uploaded new version, with several changes based on uncopy's feedback.

09-14-2016 at 09:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bomber50
Fixed the script in L5 3S2E on my copy.

And yes, L5 1S3E is possible.

09-14-2016 at 10:30 PM
superluminal
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
This is a really fantastic hold! I enjoyed every second of it, even the secret rooms!

Some notes:
Level 1 Some of these rooms are pretty good, but the hold gets too difficult for this to be a tutorial. That leaves medium-skilled players and above, who don't need the first few rooms.

Level 2: Great level! Tons of fun puzzles here! If you don't want to cater to first-time players, this is a good starting level.

Level 3: This is where the hold gets a bit tougher. It's fantastic!
1S 5E is extremely lenient.
2S 5E could cut down on the number of roaches in the eastern corridor to just two. Either you solved it or you didn't.

Level 4: Another good level.
5N 4E Yes, yes it does.
6E is super fun! There's a lot of strategy and thinking ahead here. What a great example of a dynamic room! Did you plan out every little detail?

Level 5: The best of the bunch, so far.
2E really takes "outside the box" to a new (literal) level,
3S 2E I totally don't understand this room.
4S 3E can be done with just two potions.

I hope you keep working on it!

05-21-2017 at 07:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : A Simple Hold
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com