Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bizarre crash when quickly replaying a demo involving a timeclone and a custom element
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged

File: Error.hold (78.5 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Bizarre crash when quickly replaying a demo involving a timeclone and a custom element (+1)  
(Encountered on version 5.1.0.6512)

I don't really even comprehend what I'm encountering here, so I'll just describe what I've discovered:

-Attached is a hold containing a copy of a particular room from a hold I'm working on, with some fairly extensive custom element coding and a time token. The relevant room is 1E in this hold.
-Attached to my next post in this thread will be a demo for said room.

-Playing the demo at "normal speed" (by just choosing to watch it), playing the room, and advancing the demo slowly, all don't seem to break anything.
-Playing the demo quickly by holding down the "east" key seems to crash DROD...sometimes? It seems like doing this multiple times in the same DROD session makes it more likely to crash. Also, watching other demos for a bit and then doing this seems more likely to make it crash than watching it the first time.
-My computer also plays a "bling" sound like it does when too many keys are being pressed at once when the crash occurs, even though I'm still only pressing one key at the time (the "east" key).
-DROD.err is blank after this particular crash.
-My attempts to isolate the specific cause of this crash have been in vain.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 08-15-2016 08:24 PM]
08-15-2016 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris

File: Error Crash 1E Victory.demo (979 bytes)
Downloaded 40 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Bizarre crash when quickly replaying a demo involving a timeclone and a custom element (+1)  
Attached to this post is the violating demo.

I originally discovered the issue with the room in its original setting, with someone else's demo, and the specific sequence of moves doesn't seem to be the problem, but it seems like the fact that this solution involves "blocking" the timeclone with Beethro's body at several points is important to the crash because a different demo with a solution not involving "blocking" the timeclone at all does not cause a crash.

08-15-2016 at 08:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
icon Re: Bizarre crash when quickly replaying a demo involving a timeclone and a custom element (+1)  
I think I also encountered this crash. Reported it here (I was running the Mac version):

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=41353

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
08-15-2016 at 08:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Bizarre crash when quickly replaying a demo involving a timeclone and a custom element (0)  
skell, is this the same issue as you just fixed?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-03-2020 at 07:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Bizarre crash when quickly replaying a demo involving a timeclone and a custom element (0)  
I've replayed the demo in the hold 5 times on max speed (by holding right arrow key) in the latest build and did not get a crash. The description sounds like it was the same problem.

I'll mark it as fixed.

[Last edited by skell at 10-03-2020 07:22 PM]
10-03-2020 at 07:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Yes, there was speech in the relevant room here too, so I think it's likely the same bug. I just made an assumption that it had to do with the custom element when I first wrote the top post.

10-04-2020 at 04:18 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
Can confirm I also cannot replicate the crash in 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-16. I note that in the demo there is a character with a speech file where the timing just so happens to stop talking right around the time the timeclone reset happens if you run the demo at full speed, so I can see why faster computers might get there just in time to cause a crash. That would make it the same issue as the other thread, so I believe this has been fixed.
10-18-2020 at 02:32 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bizarre crash when quickly replaying a demo involving a timeclone and a custom element
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com