Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : DROD: Standard Compilation (May 2016 Contest Compilation)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1062
IP: Logged

File: DROD Standard Compilation.hold (1.6 MB)
Downloaded 44 times.
License: Public Domain
icon DROD: Standard Compilation (+1)  
The compilation hold for DROD: Standard Edition.

Hopefully there aren't many problems.

Currently version 6.

[Last edited by hyperme at 07-31-2016 12:37 PM]
06-18-2016 at 08:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: DROD: Standard Compilation (0)  
Can I request the minor backtracking fix in Powder Robot I mentioned in the other thread be added? (at least 3 Powder Kegs in the Entrance of that level, north of the green door)

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

06-18-2016 at 10:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Xindaris wrote:
Can I request the minor backtracking fix in Powder Robot I mentioned in the other thread be added? (at least 3 Powder Kegs in the Entrance of that level, north of the green door)

Ask and you will receive!

Just not immediately. Hopefully some more feedback/testing will happen before any hold updates.

06-18-2016 at 10:51 PM
Xindaris

File: DROD Standard Compilation.demo (16.8 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
I went ahead and tested my own rooms, attached are "intended solution" victory demos for all of them (including Temporal Gentryii 1W and 1E in case there was any doubt about those being solvable).

I noticed that the "completion" stairs from my part at least seems to point to the "beginning" entrance of the hub instead of where it looks like it should point (the entrance in the room with stairs leading to my part that would allow the player to clear said room).

If people feel Temporal Gentryii 1E is really too brutal/annoying I wouldn't be strongly opposed to making it an optional "non-required non-secret" room.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 06-19-2016 07:00 PM]
06-19-2016 at 06:58 PM
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
I forgot to remove the scrolls from 1E in my entry and remove the scroll about 1S being breakable. Could you take those out.

I always seem to forget those sort of commentaryish scrolls.

06-19-2016 at 08:46 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
I tested mine and Jeff's entires and they are fine, except Jeff's entry leads back to the hold entrance and not the exit stairs of Jeff's entry.
06-19-2016 at 08:46 PM
hyperme
I've fixed up the back tracking issue in Powder Robot, rewired stairs to be correct, and remove unwanted scrolls.

Hopefully only cosmetic problems remain.

[Last edited by hyperme at 06-19-2016 09:58 PM]
06-19-2016 at 09:57 PM
jamesdenem
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 203
My entry for the contest could have been polished more, with a limit placed on how many times the tokens could have been used.

If it isn't too much trouble, I would like to tweak the puzzle room, and add it as an unrequired room to show how I could have implemented the room if I were thinking about it before the contest.

This signature intenionally left blank. Disregard any text you may find here, because it is probably just your imagination, and not a signature in any way. We mean it, don't believe that there is text here.
06-20-2016 at 03:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hyperme
jamesdenem wrote:
My entry for the contest could have been polished more, with a limit placed on how many times the tokens could have been used.

If it isn't too much trouble, I would like to tweak the puzzle room, and add it as an unrequired room to show how I could have implemented the room if I were thinking about it before the contest.

That's okay to do. Post the updated hold in this thread and I'll acquire the rooms from the there.

06-20-2016 at 05:40 PM
jamesdenem
I feel that for compilation purposes, the room should be separate from my entry.
Probably just set up a scroll and stairs explaining how this would be the polished version.

To turn it from a cool gimmick into an actual "puzzle", I added a limit to the number of times you can use the tokens.
This means you actually need to be smart about how you use them, and plan carefully.

As will probably be seen, this room might be a bit difficult due to the added constraints, so I would be willing to post a demo if needed.

EDIT: New room made can be found in my next post.

This signature intenionally left blank. Disregard any text you may find here, because it is probably just your imagination, and not a signature in any way. We mean it, don't believe that there is text here.

[Last edited by jamesdenem at 06-22-2016 03:29 PM]
06-21-2016 at 12:38 PM
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
The player can still use the tokens at a diagonal to completely ingore the restriction.

06-21-2016 at 02:03 PM
jamesdenem

File: CEGF - polished.hold (3 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.
Welp, that was one US that I completely failed to think about or notice when playing around with the room.

This should fix it and actually force the restriction. Again, this room is to show what I probably should of/could of done for the contest.

06-22-2016 at 03:28 PM
hyperme
New version with extra room.

Hopefully we're ready to go.

06-23-2016 at 09:38 PM
LeoS
Rank Points: 276
I've been away for the past week and haven't been able to get to DROD, but I'm pretty sure there are a couple of unintended solutions in my hold as well. Let me get back to you over this weekend?

06-24-2016 at 03:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
LeoS
Rank Points: 276
OK, I've gone through the demos and here are the fixes I think I need:

Do you want me to make these changes and re-upload my entry or is it easier for you to just alter the rooms yourself?
06-26-2016 at 04:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
hyperme
I'll make the changes manually since it will probably be easier than copying over new rooms.

06-26-2016 at 05:24 PM
hyperme
icon Re: DROD: Standard Compilation (+1)  
New version with changes requested by LeoS.

06-29-2016 at 05:43 PM
Xindaris
icon Re: DROD: Standard Compilation (+1)  
I've just remembered a small error: In Powder Robot 1N, the scroll shouldn't say "you have to end it in the north" or whatever it is that it says at the end. It should only have the statement about powder keg pushing.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-01-2016 12:22 AM]
07-01-2016 at 12:22 AM
hyperme
okay new version is up

last call for any changes since if i don't hit the promote button today it's happening tomorrow!

07-27-2016 at 05:14 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : DROD: Standard Compilation (May 2016 Contest Compilation)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com