Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Life of Art and Beethro Budkin (Unofficial contest for March)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
IP: Logged
icon The Life of Art and Beethro Budkin (+5)  
When life gives you melons you make lemon juice.
When life gives you swords you make blade juice.
It is only natural that if life gives you the awesome art in DROD you make screenshots and GIFs!

Welcome to The Life of Art and Beethro Budkin the unofficial Caravel forum contest for March where we mix art, prepositions and metaphors. To celebrate the release of DROD 5.1 we want to shine on social media outlets like Flamebook and Chipper but, as 1st Librarian would notice, The Research on Experimental Perception Manipulation states that citizens subjects reaction inflated when exposed to visual stimuli. Not to mention the high levels of illiteracy among certain *cough* rock hard *cough* castes.

To remedy that, ex-42nd Telegraph Sanitizer brought us his two inventions: Gloriously Incredible Frames Recorder and Slow CRoss Environment ENtertainment Capture. With these two incredible machines you will be able to procure media simple enough for even roach to get excited about!

In TLoAaBB your objective is to create the best screenshots and the best GIFs. The intention is to create works which can be consumed and appreciated even by people outside DROD community. Here are the general rules for the contest:

1. You can submit your entries until Local Time:04-14-2016 at 01:00 AM which leaves you negative 417 weeks, 5 days.
2. GIFs and screenshots are submitted separately.
3. GIFs and Screenshots will be voted upon separately.
4. An entrant can only get a place once per category: if A's screenshots take both first and second place A will only receive the prize for the first place, second place will be rewarded to the next person.
5. But you can win the same place in both categories.
6. You accept that we will probably use your screenshots as images posted on Facebook and Twitter.
7. You're free to submit more than two entries per category, but unless you clearly specify which you want to be used, we'll go with the two latest ones.
8. Only regular DROD! RPG is outside the scope of this contest.

Screenshot rules:

1. You can submit up to 2 screenshots and they will be scored separately.
2. The screenshots dimensions must be at least 400x400 pixels.
3. You can submit either a section of the screen or the whole DROD window. If the screenshot includes the window borders they will be cropped out.
4. You can make screenshots of any part of the game, published or unpublished holds.
5. You can modify the screenshots after creating them as long as it will be clearly recognizable that this is DROD we're talking about.
6. If possible submit the screenshots as PNGs

GIF rules:

1. You can submit up to 2 GIFs and they will be scored separately.
2. The minimal dimensions for a GIF are 22x22 pixels.
3. The GIFs can't be over 5mb in size. If your resulting gif is bigger you can try optimizing it or ask for help, I'll see what I can do.
4. You can make GIFs of any part of the game, publisher or unpusblished holds.
5. You can modify the GIFs however you see fit, as long as they're clearly recognizable as DROD.
6. A GIF can't be more than 30 seconds long.

Rewards:
Since this is an unofficial contest (and I want it to stay that way) I'll throw in something from my pocket:
1st place: A copy of Monstro: Battle Tactics and 50 mod points
2nd place: A copy of Monstro: Battle Tactics and 25 mod points
3rd place: A copy of Monstro: Battle Tactics and 10 mod points
Monstro copies will be given as Indie Game Stand keys which will give you access to both DRM-free and Steam versions of the game.

Help:
Making screenshots:
- PrintScreen button will copy the screenshot of the whole screen into your clipboard. You can then paste it into paint or other graphical program of choice and save.
- Alt+PrintScreen works exactly the same except it only copies the currently selected window.
- F11 in DROD makes a screnshot and saves it in your user directory. This unfortunately saves them in a lossy-JPG, so if you can stick to alternatives.

Recording GIFs:
- For Windows I highly recommend GifCam which I regularly use as it provides excellent quality and small file size.

I am not familiar with GIF recording tools for other operating systems, so if you have that knowledge please share it with us!

[Last edited by skell at 03-31-2016 01:19 PM]
03-14-2016 at 10:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
icon Re: The Life of Art and Beethro Budkin (+1)  
I'm extending this contest by two weeks due to the small number of entries and people asking for extensions :)

03-31-2016 at 01:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
LeoS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
icon Re: The Life of Art and Beethro Budkin (0)  
I appreciate the extension, even though it runs contrary to my life's operating philosophy: If you leave things 'til the last minute, it only takes you a minute to do them! :lol
03-31-2016 at 05:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: The Life of Art and Beethro Budkin (0)  
Thanks again for the extension! For those uncertain about entering, I can attest to the fact that the gif making tool skell linked to is super easy to use. I was only going to to a screen shot at first, but figured I'd give the gif thing a try. The program was so intuitively easy to use that I ended up recording and submitting a thing. Try it out!

04-09-2016 at 04:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Just a reminder - there are only four more days left for you to submit your entries!

So far the number of entries is pretty low, so you run a very valid chance of snatching a reward!

04-09-2016 at 10:13 PM
skell
Alright, the entries threads have no been officially closed. I'll try to prepare the voting thread ASAP :)

04-14-2016 at 09:51 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Life of Art and Beethro Budkin (Unofficial contest for March)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com