Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : People's Selection Hold Awards - Poll (A multiple question poll)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Which hold should receive ''Most Fun to Play''?
Loony Labrynth PollPollPoll 6 31.58%
A Quiet Place PollPollPoll 4 21.05%
Tar Caves PollPollPoll 1 5.26%
Newbie Town PollPollPoll 2 10.53%
Dugan's Dungeon Revisited PollPollPoll 6 31.58%

Which hold should receive "Most Challenging to Play"?
A Quiet Place PollPollPoll 3 16.67%
Bavato's Dungeon PollPollPoll 12 66.67%
The Palace of Puzzles PollPollPoll 2 11.11%
The Steps PollPollPoll 1 5.56%

Which hold should receive "Best Concept"?
Ben Chisel's Five-Sweet Speeking Grauns PollPollPoll 2 10.53%
Dugan's Dungeon Revisited PollPollPoll 3 15.79%
The Fool's Errand PollPollPoll 10 52.63%
The Palace of Puzzles PollPollPoll 4 21.05%

Which hold should receive "Best Artistry/Room Art"?
Bavato's Dungeon PollPollPoll 5 26.32%
Eye PollPollPoll 11 57.89%
Ketchup and Puppies PollPollPoll 2 10.53%
The Steps PollPollPoll 1 5.26%

Which hold deserves the title "Most Promising"?
Deep Hold XXIV PollPollPoll 6 40.00%
Met-DROiD PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
Simon's Dungeon PollPollPoll 6 40.00%
The Descent to H'Caor PollPollPoll 3 20.00%

Which tileset deserves "Tileset of the Year"?
Beethro in Space! (DRODIS) PollPollPoll 8 50.00%
Cube Wars PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
DROgue PollPollPoll 1 6.25%
Project Neefer PollPollPoll 2 12.50%
The Demon's of Colour PollPollPoll 5 31.25%

Finally, who deserves the great title of "HOLD OF THE YEAR"?
A Quiet Place PollPollPoll 1 5.88%
Bavato's Dungeon PollPollPoll 7 41.18%
Claythro Tower PollPollPoll 6 35.29%
Phil's Dungeon PollPollPoll 3 17.65%
Total Votes 23 100%
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon People's Selection Hold Awards - Poll (+5)  
You know what to do. The nominees are:

1. Most Fun to Play.
A Quiet Place
Dugan's Dungeon Revisited
Loony Labrynth
Newbie Town
Tar Caves

2. Most Challenging to Play
A Quiet Place
Bavato's Dungeon
The Palace of Puzzles
The Steps

3. Best Concept
Ben Chisel's Five-Sweet Speeking Grauns
Dugan's Dungeon Revisited
The Fool's Errand
The Palace of Puzzles

4. Best Artistry/Room Art
Bavato's Dungeon
Eye
Ketchup and Puppies
The Steps

5. Most Promising Hold
Deep Hold XXIV
Met-DROiD
Simon's Dungeon
The Descent to H'Caor

6. Tileset of the Year
Beethro in Space (DRODIS)
Cube Wars
DRogue
Project Neefer
Attack of the Demons of Colour

7. Hold of the Year
A Quiet Place
Bavato's Dungeon
Claythro Tower
Phil's Dungeon

Yes, I added the tileset catagory. Not only that, but prizes have been doubled to 10 points for each win! Least I could do after taking so long.

After finalizing the ballot, I realized that a lot of good holds were missed in this contest. Tomb of Nomb was the main one, but a couple others slipped my mind. Maybe next year guys...

After you've voted, I'd like to hear from you on how this contest was. Could it have been better? How? What would you have done differently (Besides prodding me with a stick on the day the poll was supposed to start... :? )?

Good luck to all entries!

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:10-30-2004 at 02:25 AM: Added Links for each hold :)]

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:11-05-2004 at 02:39 AM]

10-29-2004 at 03:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: People's Selection Hold Awards - Poll (0)  
Is self-voting allowed, and if so, should we use our discretion when voting (rather than just blindly voting for out own holds)?

Oh, and you missed 1 nominee in the list for contest 1, Dugan's Dungeon Revisited.

10-29-2004 at 04:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Is self-voting allowed, and if so, should we use our discretion when voting (rather than just blindly voting for out own holds)?
If you feel you're hold deserves it the most, I'm not going to stop you. It's all about what you feel is the best hold for each catagory.
Oh, and you missed 1 nominee in the list for contest 1, Dugan's Dungeon Revisited.
:angry

10-29-2004 at 04:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
With less than a week left, we currently have a tie in the "Hold of the Year" catagory. Get out and vote!! Don't turn this into the US election!

And feel free to critizise the nominees. DO you think some other hold should have made it in? Let us know.

11-04-2004 at 11:38 PM
jdyer
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 329
icon Re: People's Selection Hold Awards - Poll (+1)  
I'd rather not comment on anything nominated, but some unnominated honorable mentions might be...

Treasure Hunt
Ricky's Dungeon ("unfinished", although it's at a point it could be declared finshed)
Cerebella Archipelago (unfinished, very promising, I'm sad the author never finished it)
Moria (finished but never uploaded)
Tomb of Nomb

They all are fairly oldish, which I imagine is why they never got nominated. (That, and the number of voters and I presume nominators wasn't exactly sky-high.)

[Edited by jdyer at Local Time:11-05-2004 at 02:18 AM]
11-05-2004 at 02:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
jdyer wrote:
I'd rather not comment on anything nominated, but some unnominated honorable mentions might be...

Treasure Hunt
Ricky's Dungeon ("unfinished", although it's at a point it could be declared finshed)
Cerebella Archipelago (unfinished, very promising, I'm sad the author never finished it)
Moria (finished but never uploaded)
Tomb of Nomb

They all are fairly oldish, which I imagine is why they never got nominated. (That, and the number of voters and I presume nominators wasn't exactly sky-high.)

I agree mostly with your list, jdyer, but I'd also like to add "King Reubus' Palace" to that, too, along with "Beethro's Dance of Death" for the concept category.

11-05-2004 at 01:48 PM
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: People's Selection Hold Awards - Poll (+1)  
Final reminder! With 12 hours remaining, the fate of these holds are in your hands!

11-10-2004 at 02:01 PM
gamer_extreme_101
With two of the polls ending up in a tie, a tiebreaker poll will be set up. Stand by.....Winners for the rest will not be awarded until all ties are broken.

11-11-2004 at 03:30 PM
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: People's Selection Hold Awards - Poll (+2)  
Well, the First Annual Hold Awards are now over, meaning that I get the honour of announcing the lucky winners!

For his hold "Loony Labrynth", zzyzx wins the award for "Most Fun to Play"!! Let's hear that applause, people!

For his head-banging-in-frustration "Bavato's Dungeon", agaricus5 wins (by a landslide) "Most Challenging to Play"!! Congrats to you, Wesley!

For his ingenius "The Fool's Errand", bibelot receives the honour of having his hold named "Best Concept"!! Keep up the awesome work!!

For the visually stimulating hold called "Eye", ClaytonW reveives the artists title of "Best Room Art". Let the pixels keep flowing!!

After a long hard battle, "Simon's Dungeon" from Doom reigned supreme for the "Most Promising Hold" catagory!! I can't wait to see what you do with JtRH!!

As a wildcard for curiosity on my part, I asked you to vote in the "Best Tileset/Mod" catagory. Since I am a part of the BiS team, I'll ask DiMono, Stuwy, and wackhead_uk to take the mic and each receive 3 rank points!!

And finally, the catagory of "Hold of the Year" swayed from side to side between Claythro Tower and Bavato's Dungeon. In the final stretch, Bavato's pulled ahead by a lone vote, leaving agaricus5 with the Hold of the Year award!! Congradulations!!

Congradulations to all winners! I ask that everyone who won an award step up to the mic and say a couple of words so I have a post to mod you up in. Thanks goes out to all the voters and all the nominaters, as you made this a very exciting contest!

11-19-2004 at 11:03 PM
agaricus5
icon Re: People's Selection Hold Awards - Poll (+10)  
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
For his head-banging-in-frustration "Bavato's Dungeon", agaricus5 wins (by a landslide) "Most Challenging to Play"!! Congrats to you, Wesley!
Thanks!

I was hoping it would win, but I was a little surprised at how many votes out of the total it got.

For the visually stimulating hold called "Eye", ClaytonW reveives the artists title of "Best Room Art". Let the pixels keep flowing!!
The "Eye" hold, when I saw it again, was visually fascinating. It deserved its win, I think, by a long way (no offence to anyone else's hold in the category). What I was really surprised by, however, was the fact that someone nominated Bavato's Dungeon for this category, and even more so that it collected a modest number of votes. I shan't complain, of course, but it does show me that people noticed things about the aesthetics of the hold that I didn't.

And finally, the catagory of "Hold of the Year" swayed from side to side between Claythro Tower and Bavato's Dungeon. In the final stretch, Bavato's pulled ahead by a lone vote, leaving agaricus5 with the Hold of the Year award!! Congradulations!!
Phew! It was close indeed. In fact, really, it probably would have been a draw or perhaps one vote more for Claythro Tower, had the contest gone on a bit longer. I personally believe that Claythro Tower still deserves something since it was so close, so Clayton, if you reply, I'll give you ten points too (I've got quite a few to spare).

Thanks goes out to all the voters and all the nominaters, as you made this a very exciting contest!
Agreed. It was a very cool contest.

11-19-2004 at 11:52 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
This was a pretty cool contest. I'm glad Beethro in Space has been so fun to so many, and hopefully when next year's awards show comes around I'll have more time to be part of it.

Cheers.

11-20-2004 at 12:31 PM
agaricus5
Just a thought - Giving me 20 rank points in one post might be a little difficult, since you'll need 230 mod points to do it.

I'll just post again, so you can spread the points out a bit, Gamer.

11-20-2004 at 08:05 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
agaricus5 wrote:
Just a thought - Giving me 20 rank points in one post might be a little difficult, since you'll need 230 mod points to do it.
Actually it would be 130, but your point still stands. Good on you for making the second post.

11-20-2004 at 09:02 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: People's Selection Hold Awards - Poll (+2)  
I awarded rank points to the all the people involved. GE101 gave me this list, which I followed:

zzyzx - 10 points
agaricus5 - 10 points
DiMono - 3 points
wackhead_uk - 3 points
Stuwy - 3 points
ClaytonW - 10 points
bibelot - 10 points
Doom - 10 points

Just for fun, I gave all of the above people some extra mod points too. Please spend them liberally to keep the rank point economy going.

And I know some of the authors spent a *long* time developing their holds, particularly Clayton and Agaricus. I am proud that people decided to invest so much time into creating excellent holds. I can hardly wait to see what will be done with JtRH! The possibilities for storytelling and new types of puzzles will be fantastic. You'll see.

Big thanks to the hold authors and to Gamer Extreme for running the contest.

-Erik

11-21-2004 at 02:40 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : People's Selection Hold Awards - Poll (A multiple question poll)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com