Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Round down the point calculation on RPG highscore tables (Also make them out of 1,000 instead of 100)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2668
IP: Logged
icon Round down the point calculation on RPG highscore tables (+2)  
I really like the way RPG awards points for the highscore tables, giving 1st place 100 points and then awarding a score for everyone else based on how close they got to the 1st place score as a percentage. If two players tie for the top score, they both score the full set of points and are both awarded 1st place, which seems fair to me.

However, players get tallied for a "#1 score" on the player and hold tables as long as they have a score of 100, but due to the way this is rounded you can actually get significantly far away from the top scorer and still get awarded a #1 score. In my experience of optimising RPG, eeking out those last few points of score tend to be the most difficult when trying to match the top scorer.

The problem gets worse the larger the scores of the scorepoint. At the end of a large hold like Tendry's Tale, scores can go over the 5,000 mark, which means you can still be awarded an 100-point score by being 50 points away from the top score. That represents 2,000 HP worth of optimisation, which is huge, especially given that making up those last HP of difference are definitely the most difficult.

I think that the point calculation should round down so that players can only share the full 100 points and both be awarded a #1 score when their score matches exactly. At the time of writing, I'm being awarded a #1 score for Tendry's Tale's Defeated Red Guard scorepoint despite, in my personal view, the difference between me and the top scorer being quite significant in terms of the optimisation I'd have to make in game. I think this is a slight miscredit to the incredible optimisation Kevin has done on the first half of Tedry's Tale that I am able to share the top prize at the moment.

I mean sure it's all just a matter of stupid internet points and I'm probably the only person left who cares about the RPG highscore table, but I thought this might be a quick change and easy change on the server side so why not?

Bonus suggestion: Also make the points awarded be out of 1,000 instead of 100 to allow for a more clearly defined difference between positions on the highscore table. I'd say that the vast majority of scorepoints right now involve scores of over 1,000.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 11-07-2015 09:56 AM]
11-07-2015 at 09:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Round down the point calculation on RPG highscore tables (+20)  
I have fixed the stupid internet points so that they are based on a max of 1,000 and they are rounded down.

01-18-2016 at 02:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Round down the point calculation on RPG highscore tables (0)  
Thanks, Matt! I too am happy to have this change. :thumbsup

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-18-2016 at 02:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Round down the point calculation on RPG highscore tables (Also make them out of 1,000 instead of 100)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com