Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Pickle Cellar (Simple puzzles, restricted element set)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.3/10 (19 votes)
σ 2.25
Author Name:Leylite
Submitted By:Chaco
Hold Name:Pickle Cellar
Theme:Simple puzzles, restricted element set
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:8
Number of Rooms:147
Number of Monsters:1461
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:23 (+23 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: picklecellar_aug15_1.hold (103.3 KB)
Downloaded 670 times.
License: Other
icon Pickle Cellar  
Well, after taking a break from DROD architecture, here's a new offering. I've designed this hold to be accessible to newer DROD players, so there are only a few monsters and elements featured here. Nonetheless, after some gentle ramping up, this hold will make you think carefully! Hopefully this will be fun for novices and veterans alike.

Join the smitemaster Polya as he investigates another one of those suspicious vanishing building teams.
08-16-2015 at 01:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: Pickle Cellar (+1)  
Go play this hold. There is something here for everyone and it's a lot of fun. I'm going to pretty much re-post what I wrote on the Architecture board...

Pickle Cellar gives a gentle introduction of elements, but with enough challenge that the player won't get bored, which is a hazard with some intro holds. It's got clever lynchpins that are still achievable by a beginner, and you almost won't notice as the difficulty level increases because you're being led along. Some of the secret rooms are pretty tough, but all are achievable with a little persistence and maybe a visit to H&S. All in all an excellent hold.
08-16-2015 at 05:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
I very rarely vote a hold 10, but this is one of those holds. Incredible.

While I haven't played a huge number of holds and haven't been around as long as many others here, there have been two times when playing DROD where I've played something that has not only been extremely enjoyable, but also left such an impression on me that it's caused me sit up and re-evaluate my thoughts and ideas about level design. The first time this happened was when I played Temperature Anomaly in TSS, and the other time is Pickle Cellar.

There's something very JTRH-ish about this hold. I think it's the lack of any pressure plates. This hold instead opts to use smart monster setups where monsters will get trapped over trapdoors or will kill you from behind if they don't end up in the right place, and it gives the hold a very unique feeling over the sort of rooms I'm used to playing.

Slightly tougher than I'd thought it would be going into but that only made it all the more satisfying to solve. A thoroughly enjoyable and very polished hold. Well done Chaco!
08-19-2015 at 07:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
Really really good hold. Introduces elements and concepts in a natural way. I like the fact that the secret rooms are not really hidden but might need a bit of work to access (similar to how the majority of them were in TSS). It would certainly work as an entry-level hold although it does get harder. The secret rooms and the post-mastery level prove a lot more challenging but they are optional so that's perfectly acceptable. All in all another top quality hold from a top architect.

Difficulty: 6
Fun: 8

Progress - Gavin G
06-16-2016 at 05:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Pickle Cellar (Simple puzzles, restricted element set) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com