Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Built items do not fall (was: build markers can be placed where objects can not.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
IP: Logged
icon Built items do not fall (+1)  
I don't know if this is a bug, but it certainly seems odd. Build markers for a lot of objects can be placed in locations in which the actual objects can not be placed in the editor.

Examples:
Mirrors and powder kegs can not be placed on pits, water, shallow water, master walls!, hold complete walls!, or (for some reason) crumbly walls or secret walls. Placing a build marked for one of these will result in the engineer building it. A keg or mirror on a pit, water, or shallow water tile will just hover there. You can even push it off into another tile that usually accepts that kind of object (such as floor).

Potions and orbs can also be placed on water or pit tiles using build markers, even though they can not be placed directly using the editor. They will not fall or sink, but will just sit there. You can even use a platform or raft to get to a potion hovering over a pit or water and make use of it.

[Last edited by mrimer at 12-12-2015 05:52 AM]
08-03-2015 at 08:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
icon Re: build markers can be placed where objects can not. (0)  
I remember an example coming up in chat a while back of something that could be done with build markers but not the editor that seemed useful, but I don't remember exactly what it was.

Personally, I think anything that can be done with build markers should be possible in the editor. But that would require documenting everything that currently can't be done and making decisions about each individual one.

On the other hand, if the plan is to finalize the ruleset in the near future, I guess this would be part of that.
08-03-2015 at 03:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Dragon Fogel wrote:
On the other hand, if the plan is to finalize the ruleset in the near future, I guess this would be part of that.
Eh, I don't think it's possible to finalize the ruleset, but we can at least try :P

08-03-2015 at 04:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
At the very least, having a mirror placed by a build marker over a pit just hover in midair instead of fall is counter intuitive to say the least. These anomalies probably fall into the category of "good architecture will ensure that this is never an issue". But I guess if you asked for my preference, I would say that if it is easy to just prohibit build markers on tiles that the objects can't normally be placed on then that would be the most intuitive thing.

08-03-2015 at 05:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Yea, we'll certainly be fixing that, but pretty unlikely it will be done for 5.0.2, especially that the testers are a bit busy right now and the tests have slowed down.

08-03-2015 at 07:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Pingity ping, because we can fix all the bugs ever!

11-06-2015 at 09:34 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Has this been fixed for 5.1?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-10-2015 at 12:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Remains unfixed

12-10-2015 at 11:55 AM
mrimer
Thanks for the reply!

To clarify my position on this, I'm fine with build markers being placed wherever. It is weird, but still kinda plausible. But, I do think it's a bug that items that should fall don't fall when built. We should fix this.

12-11-2015 at 04:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Fixed in rev 6320.

12-12-2015 at 05:51 AM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: Built items do not fall (+1)  
Can confirm that mirrors, kegs, all 5 potion types and regular orbs will fall and sink when built over water/pits via a build marker in 5.1.0.6345. :thumbsup

Cracked and damaged orbs I was unable to test due to a separate issue which I will post in a separate thread.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 01-15-2016 08:12 PM]
01-15-2016 at 08:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Built items do not fall (was: build markers can be placed where objects can not.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com