Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Right-clicking during placement mode in a dark room causes major rendering issues
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Keiya
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 73
IP: Logged

File: Mimic PlacementRight Click Bug Example.hold (1.3 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Right-clicking during placement mode in a dark room causes major rendering issues (+2)  
Versions tested: GatEB 4.0.2.112, TSS Demo 5.0.1.6060

Platform: Windows 8.1 x86_64

Severity: Medium-low (rare but dramatic cosmetic)

To reproduce: In a room dark enough that the light around the player appears, step on a mimic/decoy/clone potion then while in placement mode right click in the game room.

What happens: Tiles around the player and where you clicked become full brightness (TSS) or discolored (GatEB), and any monsters, players, characters, and platforms in that area disappear. Right clicking somewhere else does not make the previous area render normally again.

What should happen: The area around the player should be unmodified (unless it's near the click of course) and the clicked area should gain the normal light shine. Critters and platforms should continue to be visible.

Notes: Alt-tabbing out of the game and back fixes it until you right-click again. The exact way it messes up is slightly different in GatEB and TSS - TSS is full-brightness - but because all the other symptoms are the same and these symptoms are so similar, I'm comfortable calling this one bug.

A one-room hold is attached. Built in GatEB, it shows elements that derender at the top, in the middle has elements that are OK other than lighting, and at the bottom elements that have problems only in TSS. And water/watertrapdoors, which have a weird shadow halo in TSS, but do still show up.

Official Hold Progress:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Keiya at 03-02-2015 07:43 AM]
03-02-2015 at 07:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: Right-clicking during placement mode in a dark room causes major rendering issues (+1)  
I have found an alternative way to create this same issue, but it looks like both this and the one above are caused by light sources that are created during placement mode?

Step 1, set the room darkness weather settings to be one of the three darkest settings.
Step 2, turn Beethro invisible either by potion or shallow water.
Step 3, pick up a clone/mimic/decoy potion while under invisibilty effect.
Step 4, use arrow keys to move placement of clone/etc. around the room, the "electric link" effect causes parts of the room it passes over to render in full brightness.

Weirdly, this one only happens while invisible.
05-29-2015 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Right-clicking during placement mode in a dark room causes major rendering issues (0)  
@mrimer - you have to investigate this. While I appreciate how amazing the lighting code is it's utterly incomprehensible to me. I get the feeling that the issue might be integer underflow (which would explain why the lighting has to be so dark) but I can't find any relation between invisible player and lighting, so I leave it for you to figure out.

10-01-2020 at 03:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Right-clicking during placement mode in a dark room causes major rendering issues (0)  
skell wrote:
@mrimer - you have to investigate this. While I appreciate how amazing the lighting code is it's utterly incomprehensible to me. I get the feeling that the issue might be integer underflow (which would explain why the lighting has to be so dark) but I can't find any relation between invisible player and lighting, so I leave it for you to figure out.
Sure thing. I appreciate the suggestion. I'll figure it out.

Edit: Update -- something about the player light rendering is definitely the culprit (in CRoomWidget::AddPlayerLight)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-03-2020 05:14 AM]
10-01-2020 at 05:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Phew! It was tricky to find that needle in a haystack, but I think I got it fixed. PR

There were actually two code bugs here, one for each situation described above.

Fortunately, the issue had nothing to do with the light/shadow ray tracing calculations or anything like that. The issue in each case was basically that the player's light was attempting to be rendered while placing a double in the above cases, but that's not supported, because the light is in the "frozen" B/W snapshot of the room that isn't altered while the double is being placed. Skipping attempting to re-render the player's light during double placement avoids the glitches.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-03-2020 05:25 AM]
10-03-2020 at 05:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Speaking of lighting, Mike can you write some documentation on how lighting works and add descriptions to variable names used in it?

10-03-2020 at 08:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
skell wrote:
Speaking of lighting, Mike can you write some documentation on how lighting works and add descriptions to variable names used in it?
Sure! Which parts of it did you have in mind? Just give me a list and I'll write it up.

10-06-2020 at 05:20 AM
skell
mrimer wrote:
skell wrote:
Sure! Which parts of it did you have in mind? Just give me a list and I'll write it up.

At the very least I'd like description about what all the light-related variables do what, when they are supposed to be updated and some kind of overview over the lighting pipeline.

10-12-2020 at 02:12 PM
mrimer
I can do that.

Are you also referring to the logic that optimizes room area damaging and repainting?

10-14-2020 at 05:28 PM
skell
mrimer wrote:
I can do that.

Are you also referring to the logic that optimizes room area damaging and repainting?
Sure, the more you can document the better. I am starting to get the hang of the rendering engine but that will still help.

10-15-2020 at 07:12 PM
mrimer
Happy to do this.

I see that `struct LightMaps` and CRoomWidget vars have comments for the light layers and light-related data structures.

I'll work on commenting on the methods.

10-16-2020 at 01:08 AM
mrimer
See new PR for this.

If there's anything else you'd like me to elaborate on, please let me know.

10-16-2020 at 07:14 PM
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: Right-clicking during placement mode in a dark room causes major rendering issues (+1)  
Can confirm that in 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-16, the two rendering issues are fixed. These are:

- Right clicking during double placement in a dark room
- Moving around a double-placement while invisibile in a dark room.
10-18-2020 at 01:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Right-clicking during placement mode in a dark room causes major rendering issues
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com