Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Timed doors (Most likely, this has been thought of...)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
skinsmen
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26
IP: Logged
icon Timed doors (+1)  
Okay, how about a new kind of door that when you hit a special orb, the door will open after a set number of turns after the orb has been hit?
10-08-2004 at 05:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: Timed doors (0)  
Hmmm.....

*STAMP*

How would it be represented though? Would there be a timer on the door, or on the orb? And could one orb affect multiple doors with different times?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
10-08-2004 at 01:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
Would you want to set one of them up in the editor if it did actually do that? Fine by me if it just opened after a certain amount of turns then closed again a few turns after.
10-08-2004 at 03:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Timed doors (+1)  
This seems to fall in the catagory of "ideas that are more trouble then they're worth" for me. Basically, I see two possible ways to implement it:

A - The delay is fixed; i.e. it's always 5 or 10 or 30 turns or something.
B - The delay can vary per door/orb

Option B adds a lot of verstaility, but also a lot of unpredictability, and annoyance - a player cannot be sure how much time he has between hitting an orb and opening a door until he does so, and that's plain annoying.

Option A solves the problem, but at the same time is such a specific item that it just won't add much to the game.

So, either way, I think that while this suggestion has good parts, they just aren't enough to justify including it.

10-08-2004 at 08:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skinsmen
hmmm, you bring up interesting things. But the door could be designed (look) different from all other doors and that would determine how long it takes for it to open? Ex. maybe their are 3 doors that open all at different time increments but they all look different. Different shape or a symbol on it or something... or maybe the orb would determine how long it would take?

[Edited by skinsmen at Local Time:10-08-2004 at 08:26 PM]
10-08-2004 at 08:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Or we could just have some sort of monster that can activate orbs, and the architect sets them up in a way such that they'll hit another orbs in five or so turns.

See, this way we also have a monster that can activate orbs, so it's like two feature requests for the price of one.

Matt

10-11-2004 at 09:50 AM
skinsmen
A monster!? whoa, how would that work? Also if you do that then whoevers playing doesn't control when the countdown begins... which i'm not saying is bad but wait... is their even going to be a countdown still?
10-11-2004 at 02:47 PM
wackhead_uk
Well if there is a monster like this then it had better not only be able to hit orbs beneath it, like the 'Neather. that would be annoying.
10-11-2004 at 04:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
I dunno, like a roach that hits orbs it collides with or something. You guys are the feature request guys, I shouldn't have to do all the work here.

Matt, who probably shouldn't be in here.

10-12-2004 at 11:57 AM
skinsmen
Hmmm... well i think that having a monster doing it would take away the whole idea of the player determining when the countdown for the door begins... does anyone agree? If it was to be a monster though... how about one that works like the evil eye and when bethroo is seen it will hit any orb in its adjacent squares and start the countdown that way?

I'm not sure which thing do you think is better?
10-12-2004 at 11:12 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
skinsmen wrote:
Hmmm... well i think that having a monster doing it would take away the whole idea of the player determining when the countdown for the door begins... does anyone agree? If it was to be a monster though... how about one that works like the evil eye and when bethroo is seen it will hit any orb in its adjacent squares and start the countdown that way?

I'm not sure which thing do you think is better?

A similar request was suggested earlier. It was an orb only activated when you step in its "line of sight", just like an evil eye.

10-12-2004 at 11:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jdyer
Rank Points: 330
skinsmen wrote:
Hmmm... well i think that having a monster doing it would take away the whole idea of the player determining when the countdown for the door begins.

I believe Matt just means you can hit an orb that will release a monster to head along a preset path, and at a certain point on the path the monster will trigger an orb. Hence, timed orb.

The 'timed orb' effect can be simulated to an extent with what is available now but it requires a specific handicap (at least in the versions I could make).
10-13-2004 at 01:08 AM
skinsmen
So the monster would go toward orbs or something? Well, it would still take up space in the room, instead of just having it timed... and what killing the monster afterwards?
10-13-2004 at 01:14 AM
jdyer
Rank Points: 330
skinsmen wrote:
So the monster would go toward orbs or something?

No, you would just set up the monster on a path where to move towards Beethro it hits an orb along the way.

Well, it would still take up space in the room, instead of just having it timed... and what killing the monster afterwards?

Sure, but

a.) You can set it to any time, and the player can see exactly what that time is without any messy color-coding.

b.) As Matt says, it's two features in one. It's best not to throw in *every* idea if an idea can be implemented a different way. It's going to be tricky enough for players as it is to keep track of all the new stuff.

c.) It's easier to set a combination-orb in this case, where the same orb starts the timer and opens another door.
10-13-2004 at 02:02 AM
skinsmen
Hmmm. I see your point. Yeah, I think thats good.
10-13-2004 at 04:58 AM
wackhead_uk
How about if the fabled beam eyes triggered orbs? Who needs the 'Neather?
10-13-2004 at 10:41 AM
skinsmen
wackhead_uk wrote:
How about if the fabled beam eyes triggered orbs? Who needs the 'Neather?

Yeah but if "they" "shot" the orbs then its not timed then is it? :D or maybe it would take time for the "laser beams" to travel or something... anyway, i kinda like his idea. :)
10-23-2004 at 05:55 AM
wackhead_uk
icon Timed Doors (0)  
If they are in JtRH, then this idea could be expanded.
10-23-2004 at 10:49 AM
Mattcrampy
Oh ho ho, you think that just by speculating about JtRH you'll get me to spill. Well, buddy, you're wrong! I'm not saying a word.

Well, look, okay, I'll say one word.

We've

There you are, straight from the source.

Matt

10-23-2004 at 12:16 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
Mattcrampy wrote:

We've
Actually...I won't confirm or deny whether we've

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-23-2004 at 07:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
mrimer wrote:
Mattcrampy wrote:

We've
Actually...I won't confirm or deny whether we've
No need. You can confirm it by looking through the forum archives -- although it's not entirely clear how much we've.

++Adam H. Peterson
10-23-2004 at 08:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
I think We'll just be happy knowing that, at least, you've
10-24-2004 at 12:57 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2485
Better they've than they'v'n't.

10-24-2004 at 01:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
What have I begun?

Anyways, we

Matt

10-24-2004 at 07:32 AM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Actually, they have

~joker5

[Edited by joker5 at Local Time:10-28-2004 at 12:57 AM]

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
10-27-2004 at 06:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
Mattcrampy wrote:
Anyways, we
Now you're just making stuff up.

++Adam H. Peterson
10-28-2004 at 12:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
icon Re: Timed doors (+2)  
Oh, man...what is this? Someone's crackpot idea of starting a no-word story?!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-28-2004 at 12:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skinsmen
mrimer wrote:
Oh, man...what is this? Someone's crackpot idea of starting a no-word story?!

I believe so, as I don't see any relation to what I started this topic for... :D :P haha
10-28-2004 at 12:32 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
:offtopic ...You are all :offtopic !!

On that note I'd like to point out that chocolate tastes good.

Seriously, it's one of those ideas that I think would sound good on paper but would have limited use in-game. For them to work well, you would need to have user-input for times on each door, but let them have the number on top of either the door or the orb to display moves left. That way you aren't guessing how many moves are left. Or have them numbered and have the moves left shown in the move screen (The menu that pops up when you press [ENTER]).

10-28-2004 at 02:54 AM
skinsmen
What's wrong with there being like say 3 doors with set times of like say 10, 15 and 20 moves? :w00t
10-30-2004 at 07:09 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Timed doors (Most likely, this has been thought of...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com