Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Fluff inconsistency (Decoy/invisibility)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
IP: Logged
icon Fluff inconsistency (0)  
If you stand in a room invisible with no monsters and fluff, the fluff will do nothing and stand still. If there is a decoy and the fluff is closer to you (but not in scent range) it will move to the decoy. If there is a clone, the fluff will move to the clone over you.

Either the fluff uses smell, like other monsters, or it moves to the closest monster period. It seems weird for your invisibility to be super compared to others.

Also possible feature change, can fluff ignore spiders if they are invisible?

I wish that man would stay away
11-26-2014 at 04:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
adS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 214
icon Re: Fluff inconsistency (0)  
The spitemaster wrote:
If you stand in a room invisible with no monsters and fluff, the fluff will do nothing and stand still. If there is a decoy and the fluff is closer to you (but not in scent range) it will move to the decoy.
That's OK, isn't it?

If there is a clone, the fluff will move to the clone over you.

What does "over" mean here?

In 5.0.2 The puff will approach the clone if it is closer than you. I have no idea if this is used in existing rooms but it is definitely different from other monsters behaviour.

If you and the clone have the same distance to the puff the puff will still approach the clone.

I would call this a bug. However: Is it used in existing rooms, especially in TSS?

Best wishes,

adS

07-29-2015 at 02:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2430
I don't see how either of these things are bugs. Puffs go after mimics, and inactive clones and decoys are in the same general category.

As for why they go for the clone over Beethro in case of ties, note that they go for monsters over Beethro in case of ties too. Apparently the specific reason is that they go for the last entity in the movement order - however, right now clone movement order can be changed with Tab without making any moves. Which seems a bit awkward. (I think this is already noted as a bug, maybe not one that's being addressed in 5.0.2 though.)

Fun fact, puffs don't go after clones of construct player roles. I haven't tested any other roles they can't kill, but I'd guess the same thing happens there.
07-29-2015 at 03:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
With respect to puffs targetting invisible inactive clones, I'd call that a bug, since clones of invisible players won't wake up eyes. I would expect puffs to not detect clones of invisible players (but still detect decoys and mimics even if the player is invisible)

07-29-2015 at 05:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
The intended resolution for this is:

Puffs will no longer target invisible clones which are outside their smell range. We assume that an invisible/hidden entity is completely resistant to puffs' (or any other monsters') senses if they are outside the smell range.

07-29-2015 at 06:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1055
icon Re: Fluff inconsistency (+1)  
This is now working correctly for invisibility potions.

However, it doesn't appear to be working for shallow water. Instead of considering the clone's visibility, the puff moves based on the player's visibility. This includes:

Moving towards shallow water hidden clones when player is visible.
Not moving towards shallow water hidden clones when the player is in shallows.

(Tested in 5.0.2.1004)

[Last edited by hyperme at 08-10-2015 08:20 PM]
08-10-2015 at 08:19 PM
skell
This has been fixed in 5.1, Puffs will now target visible clones even if player is invisible.

10-31-2015 at 04:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2668
This is not correct in Build 5.1.0.1006. Puffs are always targeting temporal clones even if they are invisible by being in shallow water (regardless of player's visibility status).

EDIT: also true if you have an invisibility potion active when you start recording, the temporal clone is being targetted during playback when he should be invisible.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 11-06-2015 08:55 PM]
11-06-2015 at 08:53 PM
skell
5.1.0.1007:
* Puffs no longer target invisible temporal clones which are outside the smell range (be it by using invisibility potion prior to recording or by staying in shallow water)

11-08-2015 at 02:53 PM
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Fluff inconsistency (+3)  
Okay. Tested various cases. In 5.0.1.6462, the following things happen:

-Puffs will target Beethro, a clone or timeclone under invisibility if they are within five squares of it. This applies regardless of whether the invisibility is due to potions or shallow water.
-Puffs will target a visible inactive clone even if Beethro is in shallow water.
-Puffs will not target an inactive clone in shallow water.
-Puffs will target a visible timeclone.
-Puffs will not target a timeclone in shallow water.
-If Beethro takes an invisibility potion, all clones become invisible regardless of terrain, and are not targeted by puffs.
-If Beethro takes an invisibility potion and then steps on a time token, the recorded timeclone is invisible regardless of terrain, and is not targeted by puffs.
-If Beethro steps on a time token, finishes the recording, and then takes an invisibility potion afterwards, the recording does not become invisible and will be targeted by puffs. I'm not sure if this is intended or not, just reporting how it currently works.

All of the above tests were done with Beethro player role. I have not tested with other roles. If somebody else wants to check before I get to those, tests should be done with roles targeted by puffs that don't hide in shallow water, and roles that puffs don't target.
02-17-2016 at 06:25 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Thanks! Are all of your findings consistent with what should be happening? It's hard for me to keep these rules straight in my head.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-17-2016 at 10:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
I am pretty sure they're all consistent with the expected behavior.

02-17-2016 at 10:51 PM
Dragon Fogel
The only thing that there's any question on is if timeclone invisibility should be tracked separately from player invisibility, and that's just a question of what the rules should be rather than an actual bug. Everything else I noted is pretty unambiguously how it should work.

Also, I didn't note this above, so for the record: if I take an invisibility potion, make a recording, and step on another invisibility potion, the recording remains invisible. This is consistent behavior in which timeclone invisibility is not directly linked to player invisibility.

Now I'll just do a quick test to make sure it all works properly with other player roles.
02-17-2016 at 10:58 PM
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Fluff inconsistency (+2)  
Player role guard:
-Puffs detect clones in shallow water. If Power Token is used (which lets guard wade), puffs do not detect clones in shallow water.
-Invisibility works as with previous.
-If you make a recording with a time token, step into shallow water, and then hit a Power Token as the recording plays, puffs will not detect the recording while it is in shallow water.

Player role construct:
-Puffs do not respond to decoys or time clones at all, no matter what I do.

Everything seems to be working as intended.
02-17-2016 at 11:06 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Fluff inconsistency (Decoy/invisibility)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com