Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Agen (Version 9.2)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
IP: Logged
icon Re: Agen (0)  
wackhead_uk wrote:
Tim wrote:
2. The Clock room can be solved using only one mimic.
That's funny, I though you needed the other one to hit the orb in the middle...I'll check the assignments.
Is the middle button only supposed to be connected to the 1x1 door in the serpent room? Well, you don't need that door opened to kill the serpent. Guess where...

3. The last room in the Pits level is not solvable. The serpent cannot be killed.
Obsolete version, I think...It's undergone 2 redesigns of the room, but it should have been able to be killed by the green doors. Screenshot please?
I don't know how to do a screenshot, but the area near the Green door look like this: (X=Walls .=empty)
..XXXXX..
X..GGG..X
X..GGG..X
X.XXXXX.X

So how can I kill a serpent here?

L4 1W:

I was wondering how I should kill the top one of the three roach queens in the corridor and still be able to go down. But maybe I am missing something here.

[EDIT: All the texts in level 2 are gone... at least on my version anyway.]
-- Tim

[Edited by Tim at Local Time:11-10-2004 at 12:00 AM]
11-09-2004 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
Oops, that green door thing must have been an unintentional change. I'll try to remember to fix that when I get home.

w00t! two pages.
11-10-2004 at 04:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Stupid question: what does "w00t!" actually mean?

Another stupid question: Are you going to finish this hold?

-- Tim

11-16-2004 at 11:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Well, I'm working on it again now the competition is over, so yes I will!

and I have no idea what w00t means, it is leet-speak for sumpthing.
11-17-2004 at 10:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
icon Re: Agen (+1)  
From Urban Dictionary

1. w00t

An expression of joy and excitement.

I just got an A on my test. w00t
11-17-2004 at 11:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
1. Is this still being worked on?
2. I'm stuck in L3 (Choosicles) 1W. None of the orbs that I can get to seem to open the doors on the W side of the Tar.

01-11-2005 at 03:18 AM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
Testplayed some rooms in the editor and looked at all.

Base : 5 Points +/-

Positive :thumbsup

Challenging Puzzles +2
Different Monstercombinations +0.75
Backgrounduse (1st room/Checkboard room) +0.5
Scrolls +0.5
Level about illegal machienes/experiments +0.5
Fights against well placed roach groupes with
"Dont roate sword" bonus challenge + 0.5

Negative :thumbsdown

Sometimes too Difficult -0.75
Always same level description of the Choosicles levels -0.25
Maze under Tar in Stairlevels always the same -0.50

Fazit : Well Styled Hold with challenging puzzles. 8,25

01-11-2005 at 12:37 PM
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
On level 3 1w, there isn't a orb to open the door on the w of the tar making it impossible to kill the tar mama or do anything else.
What do I do?

01-20-2005 at 03:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Alright, I now have completed half life 2, have got sick of practising for a lan party this week, so I am restarting work in this hold, finally. I should be releasing a new version on the next few weeks if I can be bothered...

Edit: ah, this must still be the buggy version. I'll upload the version where L31W is possible, and harder thanks to Stefan.

[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:02-12-2005 at 11:18 AM]
02-12-2005 at 11:07 AM
wackhead_uk
I've just discovered that on the last room of pits galore, the snake sometimes goes the opposite way to you, which sort of defeats the point of that room, which I thought was pretty funny, as it looked like there was nowhere to run away from the snake until the last moment. Does this happen for anyone else?
02-13-2005 at 11:15 AM
stigant
Choosicles 3: 2N - is the intent to force placement of the mimic in the lower right corner? This room was fairly trivial otherwise...
Click here to view the secret text

02-17-2005 at 09:11 PM
wackhead_uk
I had intended it to be possible no matter where you placed the mimic, but I didn't realise that putting the mimic there actually made it so trivial...Thanks for the input.
02-17-2005 at 09:49 PM
stigant
Here's a minor thing... on Choosicles 4, 3E, the orb puzzle (below and between the snake and the tar), I didn't need to hit the middle orb on the left because I was able to get to the midle orb on the right without opening its door.

02-17-2005 at 09:57 PM
wackhead_uk
:angry

that was a hard part to make. Was it even slightly hard? and I thought you had to hit all the orbs to get out? Unless I just didn't test that room thouroughly enough...I really should try to find some trivial solutions in this hold, and not just test ewhether the ones I have work or not.
02-17-2005 at 10:12 PM
stigant
Was it even slightly hard?
Well, I spent more time on that part of the room than any other, but most of that time was experimenting with the orbs to see what order I needed to hit them in. It reminded me of that room in KDD, L15 1S2W, but I never really needed to plot out the path on graph paper for your room. Can't you just put another door or two in to prevent hitting the middle right orb without hitting the middle left orb?

The rest of the room...

Roaches and queens (even brained) on trapdoors are almost trivial. You can almost always make a cave for yourself in 2-3 turns to dispatch incoming roaches before moving on.

The second puzzle is trivial. If you want to make things difficult, I would suggest combining the first two and putting some force arrows on the trap doors. The problem with trapdoor puzzles is that, usually, there's either too many ways to clear it (say for example, a solid 20x20 rectangle of trapdoors), or its pretty simple to avoid lost positions by looking at the few squares around you. The really good puzzles require you to think more globally than locally, or force you to make moves that put you in awkward positions.

The tar puzzle might be more difficult with a mother, but its hard to say. Mothers have the potential of hemming you in or swarming you with babies (you have to be careful because with trap doors, you have nowhere to run to), but they are also a bit more forgiving since you can usually wait for un-clearable tar to grow. Good tar mother/trap door combos require you to decide carefully when to kill the mother. Too soon and you won't be able to clear the tar. Too late and you might get swarmed or trapped.

The snake one wasn't too bad. I had to think a couple of moves ahead to see that I could just force it straight over to the right, where it ran into a dead end. Usually, snakes and trapdoors are almost as trivial as roaches and trap doors since its so easy to make a dead end.

The mimic and ww turned out to be pretty easy. The location of the potion has a little bit to do with that since the ww is attracted to a position one square away from where you need to put the mimic. Also, mimics and trapdoors are very easy (even with limited beethro movement) since you have a built in wall to reposition the mimic. Unless you have more than one mimic doing several puzzles at once.

The other orb puzzle (to the left of the first one) is level 1 KDD easy. You're going to go past each orb in order to drop all the doors anyway. Spinning your sword around before you step on to the next square is trivial. If something were chasing you (perhaps you have a goblin you need to keep alive to kill a snake later) this would be more difficult. Or if the orbs had to be hit in a certain order to get all three doors to open.

A single goblin on trapdoors is usually pretty easy since they can't get around behind you. Also, you can kill this goblin without consequence, so you don't even have to be careful to push it out of the trap doors.

I was a little confused with the eye puzzle. I happened to trip all but two of the eyes on my way to the goblin and thus was able to kill them before even entering that trap door bit. Perhaps a wall or two in that region to prevent premature triggering would be useful.

02-17-2005 at 11:20 PM
wackhead_uk
Well, it was going to be a larger orb and trapdoor puzzle with other little puzzles being sort of spread where the orbs are on the hardest part, but it turned out to be hard to make.

I think, on the verge of all these things, and me making the next level, I may just do what I wanted to in the first place, at the cost of some time. It took me long enough in the first place, I can always make that time again.

[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:02-17-2005 at 11:42 PM]
02-17-2005 at 11:41 PM
wackhead_uk
Another update - I stopped making this hold when I heard that the free version of JtRH would have an editor and though I'd wait to see what I could make with that (bought the full version anyway :) ). However, I'm now debating whether I want to keep this a retro Architect's edition hold, even though I ahd a few ideas of what to do with JtRH :? . I think it would be best if I tried to finish this now I've completed a few more holds and I think I've got much better at DROD.
04-19-2005 at 10:08 PM
wackhead_uk
Hacktually, can any random person downlaod this new version and send me a demo (via PM peferably, hide it in another post or something) of them completing Pits Galore: 3S1W the easiest way they can see, I made a change to it and I want to see if there is still a trivial solution in it.
04-19-2005 at 10:20 PM
Tim
wackhead_uk wrote:
Hacktually, can any random person downlaod this new version and send me a demo (via PM peferably, hide it in another post or something) of them completing Pits Galore: 3S1W the easiest way they can see, I made a change to it and I want to see if there is still a trivial solution in it.
3S1W? The one with the roach queen, a brain and 2 ww's? I'm not going to put a demo in here, but let's say that it should not be trivial to kill the ww's because of the brain. In fact, I think there are 2 not so very trivial (not too hard but very enjoyable) solutions here:
Click here to view the secret text
But if you don't me spoiling this room, I will remove this post if you want to. But not right now, as I'm going to bed... Zzzz...

-- Tim

04-20-2005 at 01:02 AM
wackhead_uk
I really love that room.
04-20-2005 at 07:26 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Agen (Version 9.2)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com