Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Minor sworded character bug/oddity (It's possible to move through swords without dying)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rheb
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1211
IP: Logged
icon Minor sworded character bug/oddity (0)  
From what I can tell, sworded characters (such as guards, mimics etc.) will only trigger their swords to kill whatever occupies the same tile as their sword at the end of their own move.

This means that any character (The player character included) can be pushed onto or through a sword and survive. This can happen if the sworded character themselves is stunned or if the player is using a speed potion to move in between the sworded characters turn or if consecutive pushes are made to bring a character onto and off a sword in the same turn or even if the push is made after the sworded character's turn.

It seems very minor (perhaps even intended as to not mess up priorities) but weird, so I thought I'd report it.

08-16-2014 at 03:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
icon Re: Minor sworded character bug/oddity (0)  
Looks consistent with how a mimic's sword can be placed over a roach without the roach dying.
08-16-2014 at 04:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Is this really how this should work? Because I think the sword strike should be independent of the movement of the monster - you can't push a sworded monster without killing things underneath it's sword. Any comments?

05-17-2015 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
It's not how it should work, but it's been deeply embedded in the game since TCB. The ur-example is that a mimic stepping on a disarm token and re-arming the player can make the player's sword appear on a monster without killing the monster (and the monster then gets to kill the player, unless something else prevents it).

I remember, on one occasion when I was browsing through old forum posts, a post by TFMurphy mentioning this behaviour and clarifying that it was deliberate. Much as I would like to slap him with a spoostlefish for this, it's in the game, it's taught in Advanced Concepts, and changing it would probably break a ton of rooms.

05-17-2015 at 10:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Fair enough. I'll file it somewhere between "Rules that were never meant to be" and "People to slap with a spoostlefish" :).

05-17-2015 at 10:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
There's a strange thing I see with this, which I think is tied to this issue: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=39703

If you keep pushing against a sworded character so they remain stunned, they never stab. This means you can keep a character alive underneath a sworded character for longer than one turn, which is strange to say the least.

05-17-2015 at 10:56 PM
skell
blorx1 wrote:
There's a strange thing I see with this, which I think is tied to this issue: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=39703

If you keep pushing against a sworded character so they remain stunned, they never stab. This means you can keep a character alive underneath a sworded character for longer than one turn, which is strange to say the least.

I don't think I understand. Can you make a small hold or a screenshot to show the setup?

05-17-2015 at 11:25 PM
blorx1
Rank Points: 920

File: Sword Dodging.hold (819 bytes)
Downloaded 46 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Minor sworded character bug/oddity (+1)  
Done

05-17-2015 at 11:37 PM
skell
Alright. The source of the issue was that a pushed monster is supposed to take care of the stabbing. Which is not the case if push doesn't happen because the monster cannot be pushed into the target tile.

So, fixed in 5.0.2.

05-27-2015 at 07:43 PM
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
Confirmed as fixed in 5.0.2. The decoy in blorx1's example is killed the turn after it is pushed to (20,12).
07-27-2015 at 04:14 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Minor sworded character bug/oddity (It's possible to move through swords without dying)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com