Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Working with the Enemy (Slayer Manipulation)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
IP: Logged

File: Working with the Enemy.hold (9.4 KB)
Downloaded 59 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Working with the Enemy (+2)  
With all these new toys, I figured I'd go back to one of my favorite elements that didn't appear nearly enough in TSS and how it interacts with the new things we've got, especially the new weapons.

Also, the only hold to my name is a terrible one that my sister made and I want to have at least one decent hold under my belt to erase the shame.

It's going to be about 5-7 levels long, aiming for medium difficulty.

I don't have much right now, just the start of the storyline and two puzzles in the first level. I'm the type of person though who if I don't show what I have now I'm never going to continue it.

ANYWAYS. Play and tell me what you like.

EDIT: v4 uploaded. More tweaks to PCtS.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 07-20-2014 04:53 PM]
07-18-2014 at 09:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4592
icon Re: Working with the Enemy (+1)  
There are a few grammar/punctuation edits to be made, but it's easiest to leave that until last and edit all the hold text at once.

Very nice mini-map art.

VHP 2N: There is no way to progress from here.

PCtS Ent: What's the point in scripting to give the player the Staff, when there is a staff weapon token he is forced to cross? Also, because there are two tokens, the player can go round in a loop and regain the sword, making it easy to clear the room without the Slayer's help.

PCtS 1E: The Construct doesn't do anything and you can just leave him to get killed. The staff makes this room trivial -- it would be more interesting if you had the sword!

07-18-2014 at 09:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
icon Re: Working with the Enemy (0)  
Ugh. I forgot that it's the dagger that doesn't drop trapdoors, not the staff. That room will have to be scrapped.
07-18-2014 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
I wouldn't give up on 1E entirely. If you could find a way to force the player not to drop any(some) trapdoors, it could be a good room!
07-18-2014 at 10:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Alright, seven puzzles done in the first level and all those problems should be fixed. Having some issues scripting a challenge in PctS 2n1w if anyone has some pointers. Also haven't finished the cutscene, plot, and letting the slayer out.
07-19-2014 at 07:48 PM
Nuntar
icon Re: Working with the Enemy (+2)  
Ezlo wrote:
Alright, seven puzzles done in the first level and all those problems should be fixed. Having some issues scripting a challenge in PctS 2n1w if anyone has some pointers.
I would do it like this. Character 1:
  Wait while entity type Water skipper nest,19,13,19,13
  Set var "ChallengeFail" = 1

Character 2:
  Wait for event Bomb exploded
  If ... 
        Wait until var "ChallengeFail" = 0
     Wait for clean room 
     Challenge completed Nested
  Else 
     Wait for clean room 
  If End 
  End 

Note that this will cause ChallengeFail to be set to 1 if the player enters the room after it's been cleared. That's not a problem -- just make every room containing a challenge set ChallengeFail to 0 at the start of the room.

I'm afraid that these rooms seem plagued by unintended solutions. 1E still doesn't need the Construct. With the staff, it's easy to get the gentryii stuck so you can hit the conquer token. 1N1E - I didn't need the power tokens or the mirrors. 2N1E - just wait 37 turns and it clears itself. 1W - just tap the seeding beacon and leave.

In 1N1W, your first character will, when the player steps on the platform, set ChallengeFail to 1 and then End. The player can then leave the room, go to another room with a challenge to have ChallengeFail restored to 0, then come back here and solve it any old how. There's no problem in using a single ChallengeFail variable for all rooms containing challenges, but you have to take out that "End".

[Last edited by Nuntar at 07-19-2014 11:44 PM]
07-19-2014 at 11:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
1E, I don't see how you can get to the conquer token without dropping the trapdoor, which you need the staff to do now that the player role is a guard. Is the scripting not working? I thought a global script would fix that.

1N1E Fixed not needing a mirror.

2N1E Fixed the waiting unintended solution, but I can see at least one more unintended solution, might make it a challenge. Can you do it without pressing the pressure plate?

1W Fixed, can't believe I'm that dumb.

Scripting should be better now too, but I have another question, I'm working on a pair of "stomping boots" for the player, so that the guard can drop trapdoors. What I want is that when the player is on a trapdoor and presses the special command button, one turn later the trapdoor drops. I can get scripting to recognize the special command and to drop a trapdoor, but I can't figure out how to store variables about where the player is so I can have it be only where the player was standing a turn before. Help?

07-20-2014 at 08:36 AM
Nuntar
Ezlo wrote:
1E, I don't see how you can get to the conquer token without dropping the trapdoor, which you need the staff to do now that the player role is a guard. Is the scripting not working? I thought a global script would fix that.
Sorry, I was just testing in the editor, so I missed that script ;)

Scripting should be better now too, but I have another question, I'm working on a pair of "stomping boots" for the player, so that the guard can drop trapdoors. What I want is that when the player is on a trapdoor and presses the special command button, one turn later the trapdoor drops. I can get scripting to recognize the special command and to drop a trapdoor, but I can't figure out how to store variables about where the player is so I can have it be only where the player was standing a turn before. Help?
This should do that:
Label loop
  Wait for player to input Special Command
  Set var "OldX" = _X
  Set var "OldY" = _Y
  Wait 1
  Set var "_MyScriptX" = OldX
  Set var "_MyScriptY" = OldY
  Destroy Trapdoor 0,0,0,0
  Set var "_MyScriptX" = -9999
  Set var "_MyScriptY" = -9999
  Go to loop

[Last edited by Nuntar at 07-20-2014 12:33 PM]
07-20-2014 at 12:32 PM
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
Some comments on PCTS:
Click here to view the secret text

07-20-2014 at 03:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Still can't seem to get variables to assign their value to other variables. How do you get the "Set var "_MyScriptX" = OldX
Set var "_MyScriptY" = OldY" lines to work?

1W: Power Token added.
1N1W: A remnant from testing, gone now. :P
2N1W: Thanks!
2N1E: Should be fixed now, debating making your version a secret room or something similar.
1N1E: Fixed I think.
1E: Thank you! It's the room I'm most proud of so far. :)

EDIT: New version accidentally made a room impossible. Now it's repossible.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 07-20-2014 04:53 PM]
07-20-2014 at 03:58 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
This formatting should work. Just type the name of the variable exactly into the box where normally there would be a number.

Set var "Var1" = Var2
07-21-2014 at 02:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
PCtS 2N1E needs a power token added somewhere in the outer passage to enable lighting the fuse, or the player will be stuck in the outer ring. Also, PCtS 1W is fairly trivial, since you can just light the fuse then beeline for the exit.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

08-13-2014 at 06:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
PctS 1w, that is actually intentional.
08-14-2014 at 02:36 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Working with the Enemy (Slayer Manipulation)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com