Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Feature Request: Manual level name entry in H&S (Because creating threads for TSS: Prologue: The Entrance isnt funny anymore)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
rman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 371
IP: Logged
icon Feature Request: Manual level name entry in H&S (0)  
With TSS, levels dont show up in the H&S interface unless CaravelNet knows youve visited it. Problem is, sometimes you dont have CaravelNet (e.g. youre playing a demo) or cant get it to recognize your progress for some reason, or maybe youre just having a bad day. This leaves you with only one level, Prologue, and results in abundance of threads posted for various rooms but associated with Prologue: The Entrance. This really ought to be fixed.

I propose allowing to enter the level name manually, in addition to showing a list of levels. This way, you can choose a level even if CaravelNet doesnt think it should show it to you, if youve been to the level and know its name.

(This is similar to the problem we used to have with secret rooms in the earlier H&S interface. This one is even worse, though, since it stops people from posting/finding threads for ordinary, required, non-secret rooms.)

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by rman at 06-28-2014 07:43 PM]
06-28-2014 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1129
icon Re: Feature Request: Manual level name entry in H&S (0)  
The Online Room Help button on the status screen should take you to the current level, but I just logged out to test it and it doesn't.

06-28-2014 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
I am all for getting around the absence of certain levels in any way possible.

This is probably not the best way, though, since people will typo and they will get unnecessarily frustrated when they don't realize they did. Unless we added a "did you mean x" feature like for Google queries.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 06-28-2014 08:17 PM]
06-28-2014 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Moo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 224
Perhaps the part of CaravelNet functionality that allows the uploading of progress could be made available for everyone, even those with no subscription?
That should solve the problem for non-currently-subscribed people. And if the in-game hint button did work even if not connected to CaravelNet, that would solve it for the rest of the time. Some more guidance could also be added to the H&S search page about how to search from in game, and what to do if the right level isn't visible (this could be made TSS-hold specific).
06-28-2014 at 10:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Feature Request: Manual level name entry in H&S (+2)  
Yeah.

Things I plan on doing:

-Unhiding non-secret level names. I hid them all since we uploaded the hold a couple days before game release and didn't want to spoil stuff for everyone. New players or players who didn't pre-buy will probably not be seeking out level names and such, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

- Fixing it so that clicking the in-game help button works no matter what.

06-28-2014 at 10:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Feature Request: Manual level name entry in H&S (Because creating threads for TSS: Prologue: The Entrance isnt funny anymore)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com