Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Growth (Old school and new school)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mxvladi
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2505
IP: Logged
icon Re: Growth (+1)  
I've completed everything now (except the rooms which I've broken first time I played through them and need to replay)

Click here to view the secret text

Out of all your holds that I've played, this is no doubt the best one. Slightly better than that slayer slaying thing, better than Fortress of Death, better than Frozen Land, too (and I liked Frozen Land). Good job!

[Last edited by mxvladi at 02-15-2013 02:56 PM]
02-15-2013 at 12:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
mxvladi wrote:

Out of all your holds that I've played, this is no doubt the best one. Slightly better than that slayer slaying thing, better than Fortress of Death, better than Frozen Land, too (and I liked Frozen Land). Good job!

I am really really glad that you liked this hold!

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 02-15-2013 06:52 PM]
02-15-2013 at 02:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
icon Re: Growth (0)  
Red-XIII wrote:

02-15-2013 at 02:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Hello, as I said I created a new 1W in GatEB and modified 1S2W on the same level.

02-15-2013 at 08:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
New GaTEB 1W is good, though it's sad that wwing/roachqueen-eating trick is not included anymore :( I also like change to 1S 2W - it made me run back and forth a bit more... though wwing still serves no purpose.

Oh, and I replayed TCB 1S 1W and I think I broke it yet again. :tomato

EDIT: and TCB 1S. I'm kinda proud of that solution, but still, it breaks the room.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 03-07-2013 04:59 PM]
03-07-2013 at 12:22 PM
Red-XIII
Thanks for the comments and demos :)

TCB: 1S1W: Yep another US, maybe and I say maybe now is fixed xD
1S: uh, that's a pretty sneaky and cool solution, I really liked how you killed the snake. Sadly it really breaks the room. I believe I fixed it now.

About the WW trick for old 1W, well I saved the room so that in the future maybe I'll go back on it :)

03-07-2013 at 02:24 PM
mxvladi
Here's demo for GaTEB 1S 2W, in case I'm doing something unintended.

I think TCB 1S 1W is fixed now. And it's pretty good room.

TCB 1S is kinda easy, or I broke it (but this time I did light the fuse, at least). I included demo for it as well. (EDIT: attachment removed)

[Last edited by mxvladi at 03-08-2013 08:33 AM]
03-07-2013 at 08:59 PM
Red-XIII
Other's interesting ways, nice!

GatEB 1S2W: Thought about that but didn't managed by myself :) now it should be fixed

TCB 1S: Only 50% of what you did is intended. Yep, like this is too easy that's why now you should be forced to leave (at first) both roaches alive.
Glad you like 1S1W!

03-07-2013 at 09:57 PM
mxvladi
TCB 1S: ...but I still kill both roaches pretty much instantly.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 03-08-2013 09:22 PM]
03-08-2013 at 07:57 PM
Red-XIII
TCB 1S: Ok it wasn't easy but now the room should be way more harder and you should need both roaches (at first)

03-08-2013 at 09:09 PM
mxvladi
Due to arrow tokens, I *can* use north-force-arrow exits to leave the room (moving SW from NW-pointing arrow counts as exit-room move), so you might want to put open yellow doors on them as well... For now, I can use pretty much the same solution as I used to

[Last edited by mxvladi at 03-08-2013 09:31 PM]
03-08-2013 at 09:29 PM
Red-XIII
Definitely didn't thought about that, thanks!
Now it should be fixed.

03-08-2013 at 09:40 PM
Red-XIII
Ok now there are 2 aumtlich, if you still don't need roaches then I give up xD

03-09-2013 at 01:04 PM
Red-XIII
Ok last chance :) To be honest now I like 1S more than the original room.

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 03-11-2013 05:39 PM : My english is bad :(]
03-10-2013 at 11:07 AM
mxvladi
Well, I guess I'll have to use roaches somehow now. I can't do pretty much *anything* w/o them now.

Explanation of the fuse script is incorrect, by the way. It activates not when the pressure plate (which, by the way, is 2x2 and not 4x4...) is activated but rather when I move on it (serpent could still be on it by that time, which means I *won't* activate it, but fuse will still burn... Or I could (in theory, not sure it works on practice) use monster to activate it and fuse will *not* burn). You should either change the condition of script activation or the scroll itself.

Anyway, time to move on other rooms, I guess.
03-10-2013 at 04:40 PM
Red-XIII
Looks like I forgot how to count xD
Anyway thanks for the explanation, fortunately is easy to fix, I'll change the scroll description.

03-10-2013 at 04:54 PM
mxvladi
Hmm, is this what you intended for GaTEB 3S? (EDIT: demo removed)

Oh, by the way, script explanation is wrong there, as door opens if soldier dies, too. I think it should be possible to make script which opens door only when evil eye dies, though it's more complicated than simple "wait for event monster stabbed" command.

EDIT: I guess it could be done simplier, but here's idea for script which activates door only when evil eye dies:

[Last edited by mxvladi at 03-11-2013 05:56 PM]
03-11-2013 at 12:16 PM
Red-XIII
First of all, thank you very much for writing me that script and explaining me how it works, I copied it and it seems fine.
About the solution, well though is a very interesting solution which I didn't thought about it's not even near to what I intended, perhaps now is fixed :)
Thanks again, you rock!

03-11-2013 at 01:22 PM
Red-XIII
Nope another US. Here's how I intended the room, maybe now is fixed but I trust you more than me :)
EDIT: Attachment removed

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 03-11-2013 08:37 PM]
03-11-2013 at 06:45 PM
mxvladi
Hrm, about copypasting the script, lemme just quote what I said:

First, you create separate character...

It means the character in which you paste those three scripting commands is *not* orb-hitting one.

Right now, the script works wrong if I kill eye before summoning soldier. (which is exactly what I'm trying to do now) It wouldn't if those three commands were handled by different character.

EDIT: oh well, at least I can kill it shortly after summoning soldier. And by the way, my solution (previous one, too) is pretty close to what you actually intend, surprisingly. Except that I don't need one of decoys... (this time, I don't need one which I'm forced to take, so I just place it in NW corner of the room)

[Last edited by mxvladi at 03-11-2013 07:29 PM]
03-11-2013 at 07:21 PM
Red-XIII
mxvladi wrote:
Right now, the script works wrong if I kill eye before summoning soldier. (which is exactly what I'm trying to do now) It wouldn't if those three commands were handled by different character.

(this time, I don't need one which I'm forced to take, so I just place it in NW corner of the room)

You're right it's possible to kill the Eye before calling the soldier and the script didn't worked. Forgive my stupidity, but how do I have to change the script?

Also, you really managed that using only 1 decoy? That's cool! I probably can leave 2 decoys if it does not make the room easier; but did you put the other decoy on the left of the red door as I did?

03-11-2013 at 08:01 PM
mxvladi
Red-XIII wrote:
You're right it's possible to kill the Eye before calling the soldier and the script didn't worked. Forgive my stupidity, but how do I have to change the script?

You create new character. That's it, new one. Go to "Monsters" tab, select character there and place it. And you paste first three commands from orb-hitter in it. And after that you delete the first three commands from orb-hitter.

but did you put the other decoy on the left of the red door as I did?

Of course not. I did the same as I did in my previous solution (dropped trapdoor right when soldier is to NE of red door... moving trapdoor 3 squares further away isn't going to make it impossible, surprisingly!) and I used the other decoy to wake up the evil eye before using power token... which you probably don't want me to do... still, that's actually pretty close to what you intend (I thought my solution is, like, totally different from yours). But not exactly intended.
03-11-2013 at 08:26 PM
Red-XIII
I did it, though it looks like today I'm kinda retarded...
On second thought I agree with your solution, there's no need to change it :)

03-11-2013 at 09:52 PM
mxvladi
attached (EDIT: attachment removed) two demos:
AE 2S: another kill-tar-mother-before-it-spawns-anything solution. My previous solution was very similar as far as I remember...
JtRH 1S 1E: my solution is trickier than what I did last time, but I do some things you probably didn't intend.

I've replayed AE 1W and now I did it the way you intended. Pretty basic brained roach queen manipulation room (which isn't a bad thing, I guess).

AE 1E definitely shouldn't be breakable anymore.

Not sure about AE 3S 1E, but I remember playing around with it for a while, so since my previous solution doesn't work, it probably isn't breakable as well. I might try to replay it one of these days.

I'm pretty sure JtRH 1W isn't breakable now as well, at least not in the way I did before.

I've also replayed TCB 1W and this time completed the way you intended. It's pretty nice room. It doesn't seem to be possible to pull off anything else there now.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 03-26-2013 08:23 PM]
03-25-2013 at 10:40 PM
Red-XIII
Thanks for the demos :)
These are very interesting solutions, expecially JtrH 1S1E, I really liked it but since it breaks the original idea I changed the room a bit and introduced a new element that should make the room more interesting (hopefully).
About AE 2S I slightly changed it, I'm not sure if it's still possible without 2 tar babies but if so then it's no big deal, I only want the mimic trick to be used, then I'll let the player chose it's own way to kill the snakes :)
About the other rooms I'm glad that they are fixed :)
Thanks again!

03-26-2013 at 08:15 PM
Red-XIII
Sorry everyone, I made a mistake on the last part of JtrH 1S1E, now the room is completable.

03-27-2013 at 12:06 PM
mxvladi
AE 2S: If the "mimic trick" is
then I'd say the room is fixed. Still possible w/o any tar babies, obviously.

I've played some more with AE 3S 1E and didn't succeed in breaking it.

JtRH 1S 1E: Well, I definitely have to leave some mud now.

I'd say that all rooms are free from (easy) unintended solutions now. Some might still be possible to break, but even if they are, unintended approaches are trickier and longer than the intended ones. It would be great if somebody else could run through this hold, though, since I could miss something.
03-30-2013 at 04:43 PM
Red-XIII
mxvladi wrote:
I'd say that all rooms are free from (easy) unintended solutions now. Some might still be possible to break, but even if they are, unintended approaches are trickier and longer than the intended ones. It would be great if somebody else could run through this hold, though, since I could miss something.

AE 2S: Yep that's the trick.
AE: 3S1E: Just to be sure

I'm really glad to hear that because that's exaclty what I wanted to achieve, so thanks again for your great help!

If someone else want to test this hold that would be awesome even because I won't send this to HA for now :)

03-30-2013 at 05:07 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Growth (Old school and new school)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com