Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Fortress of Death (My first hold for the architect's edition)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
IP: Logged
icon Re: Fortress od Death (0)  
I played Floor 30 1N twice now. If you changed that last room, are you going to post another update in here? I really don't want to play through all the hold again to get to it.
08-17-2012 at 03:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 623
bandit1200 wrote:
I played Floor 30 1N twice now. If you changed that last room, are you going to post another update in here? I really don't want to play through all the hold again to get to it.

Ok; but if you said that there are no more mistakes this will be the last update I'll made. Then tonight or tomorrow I'll send the definitive version (this one but without anyone able to build). In this version there are many checkpoints, all errors you testers found fixed and the last room changed. Play it and let me now if you like it :)

08-17-2012 at 06:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Thanks, I played that last room now. I prefer rooms like that rather than ones where I must find which square to stand on at the right time, facing the right way, and with one pants leg rolled up. :) I might play it all again when the final hold is released.
08-17-2012 at 07:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Red-XIII
bandit1200 wrote:
Thanks, I played that last room now. I prefer rooms like that rather than ones where I must find which square to stand on at the right time, facing the right way, and with one pants leg rolled up. :) I might play it all again when the final hold is released.

Yes I totally agree with you :)

08-17-2012 at 08:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
bandit1200 wrote:

You know I must thank you again. Your words made me wanna replay my hold and I noticed that as you said many rooms with trapdoors are not puzzle and many of them are boring, so I'm changing all of them; the design of the level and the main design of the room is the same so that there can't be mistakes of not going back etc etc. But now the rooms are way more interesting, and even if they are not hard they are not boring and they are smaller. Also I'm changing some others rooms which were really simple so that the player can have a good challenge :)

08-18-2012 at 10:50 AM
Red-XIII
Ok the Hold is now complete. In a few days it will be posted in the definitive topic. I must thank all of you for the help you gave to me; I could say that now is a total different hold, since I modified so many things, and the version you have now is also "old". Don't worry I didn't add rooms, I just modified their layout and putting some monsters "creating" a new room, or fixing some details. But the main thing is that every mistake that I couldn't see has been fixed and many rooms that were useless or annoying were improved a lot, and I couldn't do anything of this without your help, so thanks again and I hope you'll play again the hold.

08-21-2012 at 05:09 PM
Red-XIII

File: Fortress of Death.hold (119.1 KB)
Downloaded 58 times.
License: Public Domain
There it is.

08-21-2012 at 05:43 PM
Red-XIII
Red-XIII wrote:
There it is.

I'm an idiot, there were 2 file with the same name and I send the wrong, THIS is the final. Sorry.

08-21-2012 at 06:02 PM
bandit1200
Floor 16, 1N. If you beat the room and leave to the west, as you must do, you have to open all the yellow doors again to reach 2N.

Floor 12, 1E. If you leave the way you came in, you have to drop all the trapdoors again or restore. That's if you hit a checkpoint, I didn't. Also you can't backtrack through this room.

Floor 12, 4N. You can backtrack through this room, but if you do, you have to drop all those trapdoors again to reach the exit. Umm, no thanks. :no

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 08-23-2012 10:03 PM]
08-23-2012 at 09:13 PM
Red-XIII
bandit1200 wrote:
Floor 16, 1N. If you beat the room and leave to the west, as you must do, you have to open all the yellow doors again to reach 2N.

Floor 12, 1E. If you leave the way you came in, you have to drop all the trapdoors again or restore. That's if you hit a checkpoint, I didn't. Also you can't backtrack through this room.

Floor 12, 4N. You can backtrack through this room, but if you do, you have to drop all those trapdoors again to reach the exit. Umm, no thanks. :no

About floor12 1E when you exit you are again in the entrance and you can go back but I made it backtrackable. All the others hint you gave to me I modified them, now you don't have to drop the red bars in 4N floor 12 and 1N on floor16. Green door are nice :)

08-24-2012 at 01:34 AM
bandit1200
Red-XIII wrote:
About floor12 1E when you exit you are again in the entrance and you can go back but I made it backtrackable.

My point was that if you *did* go back to the entrance after completing 1E, then to finish the level and get to the exit, you would have to complete 1E again. Well, the room would be clear but you would have to drop the trapdoors again. Not that it matters now if you have installed a green door. :)
08-24-2012 at 12:42 PM
Red-XIII
bandit1200 wrote:
Red-XIII wrote:
About floor12 1E when you exit you are again in the entrance and you can go back but I made it backtrackable.

My point was that if you *did* go back to the entrance after completing 1E, then to finish the level and get to the exit, you would have to complete 1E again. Well, the room would be clear but you would have to drop the trapdoors again. Not that it matters now if you have installed a green door. :)

Well after you completed the room and you exit the red doors will appear again but with green doors in the right places you don't have to drop the trap again. This is the main thing I guess.

08-24-2012 at 01:34 PM
bandit1200
Similar problem with Floor 8, 2S2E. Depending on the order other rooms are completed, this room may need completing twice. Could do with another green door at the north west exit.
08-24-2012 at 04:57 PM
Red-XIII
bandit1200 wrote:
Similar problem with Floor 8, 2S2E. Depending on the order other rooms are completed, this room may need completing twice. Could do with another green door at the north west exit.

I knew Floor8 was the one with lots of mistake, thanks for your eyesight :) I deleted the upper red door since is not useful, you must drop the trap for the roach, there's no need another door. Thanks again!

08-24-2012 at 05:32 PM
bandit1200
Floor 7, 1N2E. Trivial solution or by design? You can hit all the orbs and then bring the mimic down below the arrows to kill all the roaches.

Floor 6, 3N1E. If you leave by the wrong door, (SE), you have to go round again.
08-25-2012 at 12:22 AM
Red-XIII
bandit1200 wrote:
Floor 7, 1N2E. Trivial solution or by design? You can hit all the orbs and then bring the mimic down below the arrows to kill all the roaches.

Floor 6, 3N1E. If you leave by the wrong door, (SE), you have to go round again.

:O Never thought of that solution on floor7. That's trivial and I think I'll change somehow or it will be too easy.
About floor 6 I'll fix it :)
Thanks

08-25-2012 at 01:00 AM
bandit1200
Completed it without any more problems. Favourite levels were floors 7 & 5. Least favourite room was floor 5 entrance. I don't know how many tries I had at that one, but it was lots.
08-26-2012 at 01:15 AM
Red-XIII
bandit1200 wrote:
Completed it without any more problems. Favourite levels were floors 7 & 5. Least favourite room was floor 5 entrance. I don't know how many tries I had at that one, but it was lots.

That's funny because my favourite level are floor7 and floor5 too :) One more time, thanks for testing and for all the advice.
Thanks to all the other testers too, you did a great job and without you all I couldn't do anything.
Hope you enjoyed playing this hold!!!

08-26-2012 at 01:14 PM
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
icon Re: Fortress od Death (+1)  
I don't know if you fixed this yet, but Level 16 1S has a broken solution: put the first mimic in with the queens and put the second mimic in the eastern set of trapdoors and send him directly to the roach. Neither door needs to be opened. To fix this you could add a roach in the set of trapdoors on the left, requiring a mimic to be placed there instead of with the queens. Or I also have an idea for a harder solution requiring three mimics, a red door, and a few changes to the layout of the trapdoors.
08-27-2012 at 04:17 PM
Red-XIII
brian_s wrote:
I don't know if you fixed this yet, but Level 16 1S has a broken solution: put the first mimic in with the queens and put the second mimic in the eastern set of trapdoors and send him directly to the roach. Neither door needs to be opened. To fix this you could add a roach in the set of trapdoors on the left, requiring a mimic to be placed there instead of with the queens. Or I also have an idea for a harder solution requiring three mimics, a red door, and a few changes to the layout of the trapdoors.

Nope I never thought of that, you looked well :) Yes I could add some things but I won't, the hold is now complete and I'll accept every unintented solution, it would not be fair if I made every room solvable in one way, also floor 16 is still in the easy ones so it's fine :) But thanks for reporting!!!

08-27-2012 at 07:41 PM
RayneStormRN
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
was going to say that fl 29-3n could use some checkpoints, as this is a very frustrating floor (thankfully unrequired i think), made more so by the lack of checkpoints.

however, so far enjoying it, and if it's finished, so be it :)
08-30-2012 at 09:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
If you have no checkpoints in that room, look for the last download of the hold on this page (2) that has two checkpoints.
edit: You may (or may not) need to redo some rooms after you install the later version.

When I first looked at this room I couldn't immediately see how to get the mimic to the top left orb, but because it wasn't required, I forgot about it. Your post made me look again, and the room is much easier than it first looks. By the way, one of the checkpoints can be more of a hindrance than a help.

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 08-30-2012 11:12 PM]
08-30-2012 at 11:09 PM
RayneStormRN
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
aw, didn't realize i downloaded old version, lol, was going nuts on level 18 trying to find a non existent orb. will download new version.
08-31-2012 at 02:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Bandit already said everything :) Is there a way to put the final file on the first page? And if not should I remove the old updates?

08-31-2012 at 06:07 AM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Red-XIII wrote:
bandit1200 wrote:

About floor12 1E when you exit you are again in the entrance and you can go back but I made it backtrackable. All the others hint you gave to me I modified them, now you don't have to drop the red bars in 4N floor 12 and 1N on floor16. Green door are nice :)

Can I put in a plea for the force arrow at 18,6 in L12 : Entrance to be changed to a green door ? I completed 1W last and now to get back north I have to drop the red doors in 1E. :angry

I will second Bandit's comments on 4N - re-doing all those trapdoors just to get to the exit stairs: a real pain! :~(
Edit: - the same applies to 1N - doing all the trapdoors again? :(

[Last edited by Elfstone at 09-02-2012 05:43 PM]
09-02-2012 at 05:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII

Can I put in a plea for the force arrow at 18,6 in L12 : Entrance to be changed to a green door ? I completed 1W last and now to get back north I have to drop the red doors in 1E. :angry

I will second Bandit's comments on 4N - re-doing all those trapdoors just to get to the exit stairs: a real pain! :~(
Edit: - the same applies to 1N - doing all the trapdoors again? :(
You probably have an old version of the hold. This is the final version where all the things you and bandit said (except for 1N which I now fixed) are already fixed. In this version there are several green doors that won't let you drop the trap again :)
Thanks for the 1N segnalation :)

09-02-2012 at 06:09 PM
Elfstone
Thank you! :)

Now can I ask for save squares in each of the 'empty' squares in L9: 3S,1E - they would make a huge difference to working this room. :yes

BTW - "segnalation" ??

Edit: I've scanned the thread and it doesn't seem that anyone has mentioned the backtracking issue in L9. I completed down to 3S,1E and then headed W out of 2S,1E and straight into a green door in 2S; back into 2S,1E and I can't get out. I believe forcing players to restore to a previous room is not considered good practice. (You may have already corrected this in a later version of course, in which case my apologies.)

[Last edited by Elfstone at 09-03-2012 03:56 PM]
09-03-2012 at 03:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Elfstone wrote:
Now can I ask for save squares in each of the 'empty' squares in L9: 3S,1E - they would make a huge difference to working this room. :yes

BTW - "segnalation" ??

Edit: I've scanned the thread and it doesn't seem that anyone has mentioned the backtracking issue in L9. I completed down to 3S,1E and then headed W out of 2S,1E and straight into a green door in 2S; back into 2S,1E and I can't get out. I believe forcing players to restore to a previous room is not considered good practice. (You may have already corrected this in a later version of course, in which case my apologies.)

Of first of all I added the checkpoints, they are very useful.
Segnalation in the good way xD you reported a mistake :)
About the backtracking... wow you really saw good!!! This problem was due to the fact the you can do this level with 2 routes, and if you don't clear 2S you could have stucked there.
I changed 1E, 1S1E, 2S2E to solve this problem, thank you!!!
By the way, are you playing with the last version or the first one? The last one ( this one) is anyone editable :)

09-03-2012 at 04:30 PM
Elfstone
Red-XIII wrote:
Of first of all I added the checkpoints, they are very useful.
thank you! :thumbsup
what I meant was, what is the word "segnalation" - where did you get it? (I love words - I'm a poet.) It is not on my new edition of Chambers

About the backtracking... wow you really saw good!!! This problem was due to the fact the you can do this level with 2 routes, and if you don't clear 2S you could have stucked there.
I changed 1E, 1S1E, 2S2E to solve this problem, thank you!!!
good :)

By the way, are you playing with the last version or the first one? The last one ( this one) is anyone editable :)
I'm not sure when I downloaded this - I'm a slow player because I'm not very good at this game. Whichever one it was I will finish it before I download a newer version. I will probably play it again in it's finished form after it is promoted to the Holds board (because I'm enjoying most of it! :D )

09-03-2012 at 09:29 PM
Red-XIII
Elfstone wrote:
Red-XIII wrote:
what I meant was, what is the word "segnalation" - where did you get it? (I love words - I'm a poet.) It is not on my new edition of Chambers

Well I'm italian and I am not perfect in english; in italian SEGNALAZIONE means reporting so I thought that the word seganalation might exist with the same meaning :)

I'm not sure when I downloaded this - I'm a slow player because I'm not very good at this game. Whichever one it was I will finish it before I download a newer version. I will probably play it again in it's finished form after it is promoted to the Holds board (because I'm enjoying most of it! :D )
I see :) Well I'm very glad you are having fun, that's the main purpose :D This is not a very hard hold (if you read the first topic you'll know what I mean) and now it's good for players who wanna have fun and trying old but interesting puzzle.

09-03-2012 at 09:37 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Fortress of Death (My first hold for the architect's edition)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com