Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Fortress of Death (My first hold for the architect's edition)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Red-XIII
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 623
IP: Logged
icon Fortress of Death (+2)  
Hi everyone I'm new on this forum but I'm not new on DROD, I play this since the very beginning of it and after I took the architect's edition here on caravel I decided to create my own hold. It took 2 years to end it and another 2 year to be able to post it (long story), I tested it many times and the last updates were today so even If I tried everything and everything worked it SHOULD word the entire thing, but since I cannot be sure I'd like to know if any of you would be glad to test it, the only thing that the Hold has 341 rooms so it's a little big.
The first levels are really simple, almost a tutorial, I started them when I was 14, so I was a total dumb, also there is no architectual stuff, that means that each rooms might be completely different for another, but that is something I sadly understood later. The others level will become harder and hopefully funnier; if you accept please report everything you DIDN'T like so that I can fix them or improve them :)

EDIT: if you want to play my hold please download the latest version, it's the last file I uploaded: the first one has 1000 mistakes and it's no anyone editable. I've put the latest version also here.

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 10-19-2013 03:17 PM]
08-05-2012 at 04:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: Fortress od Death (0)  
This is actually a pretty good hold! Working my way through the third (28th) level now...

My only complaint is that the levels I have seen so far could do with more checkpoints.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 08-05-2012 05:22 PM]
08-05-2012 at 05:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
12th Archivist wrote:
This is actually a pretty good hold! Working my way through the third (28th) level now...

My only complaint is that the levels I have seen so far could do with more checkpoints.

I'm glad you enjoed the first levels. For the checkpoints thanks for the advice; I usually forget them infact they are the last thing I put in the rooms; I'll improve this thanks again!

08-05-2012 at 08:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Vladilav
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 82
I reached up to 19 floors..

comments:

there are few)

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Vladilav at 08-06-2012 11:32 PM]
08-06-2012 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Vladilav wrote:
I reached up to 19 floors..

comments:

there are few)

First of all, thanks for testing my hold. About the reports, I already provided to add more checkpoints, on floor 22 I fixed the error you said, thanks for reporting. About floor 23 I think you get the wrong level, I checked floor23 and is definitely possible to end it no matter which way you take; if you really meant floor 23 then I don't understand where the error is.

08-07-2012 at 10:58 AM
Red-XIII
I found a terrible mistake in floor18 that will block you :( so I'm sending the fixed version where there are more checkpoints, floor22 fixed and floor18 fixed. I don't know if you'll be able to restore from floor 19 since I didn't change it, I just hope you don't have to start by the beginning. Sorrt again and thanks for the patience

08-07-2012 at 11:20 AM
Vladilav
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 82
not to start all over again, make the editor: Anyone ...

new updates do better in the first message ... it will be easier :)
08-07-2012 at 11:57 AM
Red-XIII
Vladilav wrote:
not to start all over again, make the editor: Anyone ...

new updates do better in the first message ... it will be easier :)

So should I put anyone? If so I'll send again the file if necessary :)

08-07-2012 at 12:34 PM
Red-XIII
This will probably be the last version I'll posto here, it's the same as the previous one only that anyone can edit, so if you find a mistake go on build and fix it by yourself; of course tell me where the mistake is, so I'll fix it too and after the hlod is complete I'll post the definitive file. Thanks everyone.

08-07-2012 at 10:21 PM
Red-XIII
Update: On Floor 17 1 north 1 east there's a mistake that I just discovered since I modified a bit. It's no possible to complete the room, I already provided to fix in the definitive version but in the beta version you have, feel free to fix it as your own wish.

08-09-2012 at 04:30 PM
Red-XIII
New update: Floor 10 Once North: A green door is missing near the red door (the longest one). If you go north first you won't be albe to go back, so fix it before you get there so won't find any trouble. Sorry for all these mistakes but I was the only one until now to play my own hold and I always did the rooms in the order I created so I never had these problems, but fortunately now I'm playing this again and with your help I'm finding all this problems. Thanks :)

08-09-2012 at 04:47 PM
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
Floor 23: if you go east first, instead of west, and make it to the exit, you can't backtrack so there's a hell of a lot of trapdoors to drop again.
08-09-2012 at 10:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Actually the only room you have to do again is 2 south 1 west, since there are al lot of green door you don't have to open again the red one. But thanks for pointing it out, I'll fix that room, all the other no need to be done again, look carefully.

08-09-2012 at 10:22 PM
bandit1200
Oops! That's what comes of partaking in the sleeping lotion too early. :pepsi I completely missed two green doors. :look
08-10-2012 at 12:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Red-XIII
bandit1200 wrote:
Oops! That's what comes of partaking in the sleeping lotion too early. :pepsi I completely missed two green doors. :look

It's ok, even if you're not sure I'm glad that you are testing my hold and referring every detail you don't like or you notice, nothing would make me happier :D

08-10-2012 at 02:18 PM
Red-XIII
While fixing floor23 2 south 1 west so that you don't have to cut the tar again and open the red bars again I noticed that the wall with the arrow is not a cramble wall and it should be, so if you started from north you won't be able to go back.

08-10-2012 at 02:29 PM
bandit1200
icon Re: Fortress od Death (+1)  
Red-XIII wrote:
While fixing floor23 2 south 1 west so that you don't have to cut the tar again and open the red bars again I noticed that the wall with the arrow is not a cramble wall and it should be, so if you started from north you won't be able to go back.

Sorry, I meant to mention that. It was there where I got stuck.
08-10-2012 at 06:35 PM
bandit1200
Floor 17 1N1E

Is it possible to beat this room? Or am I missing something, as usual? I can't see how it's possible to reach the exit after dropping all the trapdoors.

Anyone who has never had RSI will have it by the time they finish this hold. I have never seen so many trapdoors. My knuckles are screaming at me to stop. :(

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 08-10-2012 09:50 PM]
08-10-2012 at 09:11 PM
Red-XIII
bandit1200 wrote:
Floor 17 1N1E

Is it possible to beat this room? Or am I missing something, as usual? I can't see how it's possible to reach the exit after dropping all the trapdoors.

Anyone who has never had RSI will have it by the time they finish this hold. I have never seen so many trapdoors. My knuckles are screaming at me to stop. :(

If you scroll all the updates I made in this topic you'll see that I already found that error; yes unfortunately I forgot to make another passage because without it you can't exit that room. Sorry ^_^ You can fix it as your own wish, I already provided to fix it in the definitive version. Thanks anyway :)

08-11-2012 at 12:11 PM
bandit1200
If you aren't posting anymore updates, I'll wait for the finished hold. I don't want to go over all those trapdoors more times than I need to. :P
08-11-2012 at 01:55 PM
Red-XIII
bandit1200 wrote:
If you aren't posting anymore updates, I'll wait for the finished hold. I don't want to go over all those trapdoors more times than I need to. :P

If you want I can put here the current version on my hold where there some improvments and some error's fixed. But I don't know if you will be able to restore; you should test the hold by the options build levels. Anyway I'll post it :)

08-11-2012 at 02:36 PM
Red-XIII
Ok here's another update. Lot's of errors are fixed, more checkpoints and some rooms (floor 10 to 0) improved. The only floor remaining to test are 16-15-14-11-10-9-8-6-5-4-3-1 All the others floors are complete I guess. These ones requires to be played again. Of course you can play the entire hold :D

08-11-2012 at 02:42 PM
bandit1200
Floor 8: 1S needs some way so you can backtrack north.
Floor 8: 1S1E because of the above, I need to redo this room. It could do with some sort of 'pass through' after it has been completed.
08-12-2012 at 06:39 PM
Red-XIII
bandit1200 wrote:
Floor 8: 1S1E because of the above, I need to redo this room. It could do with some sort of 'pass through' after it has been completed.

Actually if you continue up to twice east you can go back to entrance. But I fixed so that you can do any room you want in every order possible, it's better this way thanks for reporting :)

08-12-2012 at 07:51 PM
bandit1200
Red-XIII wrote:
bandit1200 wrote:

Actually if you continue up to twice east you can go back to entrance. But I fixed so that you can do any room you want in every order possible, it's better this way thanks for reporting :)

It's academic if you have already fixed it, but just to be clear, if I re-enter 1S, exit to 1S1E, I cannot then go back through 1S. 2E is 4 rooms away from there.

It's good that you are making them playable in any order, unless the order is part of a puzzle of course. The problem with playing in the editor, as I am sure you appreciate, is that there is no restore. Actually, the biggest problem with playing in the editor is that when I have finished the hold, I don't get a nice (100%) next to the hold name. ;)

edit: Floor 8, 3S. I can see why you like this room. The little trick with the goblin and the eyes had me studying for a minute or three. Not difficult, but neat. However, in the rest of the hold, I can't help thinking you have a fetish about trapdoors. :D

edit2: Floor 5, The Entrance. checkpoints please, if you haven't already added them.

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 08-12-2012 11:49 PM]
08-12-2012 at 11:03 PM
Red-XIII
bandit1200 wrote:
Red-XIII wrote:
bandit1200 wrote:

It's academic if you have already fixed it, but just to be clear, if I re-enter 1S, exit to 1S1E, I cannot then go back through 1S. 2E is 4 rooms away from there.

It's good that you are making them playable in any order, unless the order is part of a puzzle of course. The problem with playing in the editor, as I am sure you appreciate, is that there is no restore. Actually, the biggest problem with playing in the editor is that when I have finished the hold, I don't get a nice (100%) next to the hold name. ;)

edit: Floor 8, 3S. I can see why you like this room. The little trick with the goblin and the eyes had me studying for a minute or three. Not difficult, but neat. However, in the rest of the hold, I can't help thinking you have a fetish about trapdoors. :D

Floor 8 all fixed as you said :) You meant floor 9 I noticed that there is no 3S in floor8 LOL :) I'm glad you enjoyed that little trick, that's the reason I like that room :) About trapdoors... I hate them xD Just kidding, you'll enjoy floor 7 ;)
About playing in the editor, yes I perfectly understand and I must thank all of you testers for being patient. It's almost done!

08-12-2012 at 11:42 PM
bandit1200
Hmm, looks like I forgot to press "send" last night. Whoops!

I played the rest of the rooms (floor 6 to the end) in the editor and didn't find any problems other than the occasional easy solution, though the hold is easy anyway. As I have said earlier, players may be put off by the large number of rooms with trapdoors, lots which aren't actual puzzles. The biggest problem with this hold for me is the lack of checkpoints, or checkpoints placed where you won't use them. Having said that, more experienced players, should they play this hold, won't need the checkpoints anyway.

I didn't complete the last room. I got stuck on the trapdoor section and then it was bedtime. I couldn't be bothered restarting it today in the editor.

I suspect experienced players won't like this hold too much, but for the less experienced, there's plenty of fun if you don't mind the boring bits.
08-17-2012 at 12:38 AM
Red-XIII
bandit1200 wrote:
Hmm, looks like I forgot to press "send" last night. Whoops!

I played the rest of the rooms (floor 6 to the end) in the editor and didn't find any problems other than the occasional easy solution, though the hold is easy anyway. As I have said earlier, players may be put off by the large number of rooms with trapdoors, lots which aren't actual puzzles. The biggest problem with this hold for me is the lack of checkpoints, or checkpoints placed where you won't use them. Having said that, more experienced players, should they play this hold, won't need the checkpoints anyway.

I didn't complete the last room. I got stuck on the trapdoor section and then it was bedtime. I couldn't be bothered restarting it today in the editor.

I suspect experienced players won't like this hold too much, but for the less experienced, there's plenty of fun if you don't mind the boring bits.

First of all thanks for testing my hold. Now about checkpoints I'm providing putting them in good locations and add them in some levels. About difficulty, I know that it isn't that hard, I started building this hold while I was still playing KDD; About last room I modified it and now is way more harder :) If you get bored while playing it I'm sorry ^_^ I don't think that the best players will play this, I'm hoping that newer players will play this, I made this hold mainly for fun. For the trapdoors, mabye I'll change a bit some rooms. About rooms with easy solutions, which rooms you mean?

08-17-2012 at 11:27 AM
bandit1200
Sorry, I didn't make any notes.

How hard do you want that last room to be? I didn't finish it as it was. :D
08-17-2012 at 11:56 AM
Red-XIII
bandit1200 wrote:
Sorry, I didn't make any notes.

How hard do you want that last room to be? I didn't finish it as it was. :D

Until now, it's the hardest room I've created, in the old version the hardest part was the trapdoor puzzle, but now that is just one hard part. But don't worry, there are a lot of checkpoints in that room now ;) I'll also put the Once North floor30 room avaible to play in the floor 0 but it will not be required. If you haven't play it yet, try it :)

08-17-2012 at 12:19 PM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Fortress of Death (My first hold for the architect's edition)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com