Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Your Least Favorite Room in DROD (oh dear)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Trickster
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 662
IP: Logged
icon Your Least Favorite Room in DROD (+2)  
Mine is Deep Hold : Level Eighteen - Slashfest : 1N1E.

KEY:
1) no
2) hell no
3) what
4) I don't even
5) why would you do this
6) please no more
7) omg
8) I hate you
9) ... at least they all approach I guess

I mention this now because I just beat it. I don't know why I did this other than I like DROD far too much. It helped to find a three-key combo that insta-kills every goblin save the last two, and can be typed very very rapidly with one hand (roughly 3-4 kills per second).

Anyway, beat that. (I mean you should beat my claim that there is no worse room, not beat the room. Unless you're as much a glutton for punishment as I am.)

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

07-03-2012 at 06:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Your Least Favorite Room in DROD (0)  
Well if you're going to include every room in every user hold, there are quite a few possibilities. I was kind of hoping this would be about official rooms. Then we could talk about Abyssian Fortress.

07-03-2012 at 07:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
The first rule of Abyssian Fortress is don't talk about Abyssian Fortress.
07-03-2012 at 08:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
Am I the only one who liked Abyssian Fortress?
07-03-2012 at 12:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1305
No, I liked it too. I think my least favourite room was level 13.
07-03-2012 at 02:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
Someone Else wrote:
No, I liked it too. I think my least favourite room was level 13.
I also liked it (I generally like tarstuff), though I had to do a Google search to figure out what you were talking about.

The only room that left any impression on me from TCB was a postmastery room I apparently made way, way too hard; this was the last room I beat (3N2E). Apart from that I remember the first level and the briar level and the last level. The rest is pretty much blank. I don't think any of it was awfully hard though. Oh, I also remember a room that had tarstuff and trap doors and the intro part was particularly hard because you had to block off little columns of it somehow. Or maybe that was JtRH...

I would bet this is related to when I played TCB, because I'm missing a lot of memories from that period in general (unrelated to game). I don't think TCB is "non-memorable" or anything, I just don't recall being challenged by it much. I'll have to re-tackle it once I get through a few dozen more user holds (and the few SmS I haven't yet put effort in).

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

07-03-2012 at 04:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bwross
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 376
Trickster wrote:
Oh, I also remember a room that had tarstuff and trap doors and the intro part was particularly hard because you had to block off little columns of it somehow. Or maybe that was JtRH...

I'm guessing that that would be JtRH 24:1S1W.

I loved Abyssal Fortress. I played through TCB while waiting for GatEB, and that was one of the levels I was looking forward to. Upper Lowest, on the other hand, I hate so much that I stopped my play through there.

Rooms like the one in the OP don't bother me too much. I'm more bothered by the lack of design than the difficulty. Too many goblins/guards/wraithwings doesn't make things hard or interesting... they just start getting in each others way resulting in them being mowed down by some cheesy move combo repeated until all but a couple are left. The trick to swarming with these non-breeders non-roachlikes is to have the minimum number required. Give them lots of room so they don't interfere with each other and can swarm the player properly with their abilities.

[Last edited by bwross at 07-03-2012 06:14 PM]
07-03-2012 at 06:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1072
TCB had a bunch of rooms that I found ugh. Vauge description time!

There's the one in Forgotten Ruins with the platform and clone and mirror.
There's also the one in Rausarian Archiplego with the Gel and Brair and the arrows.
Upper Lowest had the Ormite room.
Any room where you have to fit platforms together. These would work if Beethro could move them with his mind, but he can, so you spend ages shuttling platforms around by moving one, then another, then the previous one and so on.
And finally, the room in Dugan's New Dungeon with the Wraithwings.

07-03-2012 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
icon Re: Your Least Favorite Room in DROD (+1)  
bwross wrote:
I'm guessing that that would be JtRH 24:1S1W.
Yep! That's the one. I puzzled over that one for a while before seeing the light.
bwross wrote:
I loved Abyssal Fortress. I played through TCB while waiting for GatEB, and that was one of the levels I was looking forward to. Upper Lowest, on the other hand, I hate so much that I stopped my play through there.
I think Upper Lowest (after peeking) wasn't that hard, it's just very "indirect" the way you have to work with builders. I'm not surprised it's frustrating to some.
bwross wrote:
Rooms like the one in the OP don't bother me too much.
Well, judging by your scores you don't seem to have played this one either. :)

It's not difficult at all, it's just arduous. You have to hit a key sequence over and over and over, hundreds of times, and try not to screw it up, and the only thing 500 goblins do that 20 would not is waste my time. Apart from knowing goblins, there's no real skill involved. (I'm of the opinion I should never feel like I'm doing drudge-work when I'm playing a game.)

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

07-03-2012 at 10:56 PM
bwross
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 376
Trickster wrote:
I think Upper Lowest (after peeking) wasn't that hard, it's just very "indirect" the way you have to work with builders. I'm not surprised it's frustrating to some.

It's not about difficulty... the title of the thread is "least favourite", and rooms with builders are far too chaotic. Even knowing what to do is can take a half dozen tries to do a simple room like 1S1W, while you keep bumping into the builders as they get under foot. It's simply aggravating. Long rooms where you can sit safely in a corner mowing down monsters just don't cut it for the superlative position of "least", that requires at least a bit of hate, not boredom.

Well, judging by your scores you don't seem to have played this one either. :)

Looking at my scores, it's hilarious. But expected. I've rarely had CaravelNet, and even when I have, I've never bothered to transfer my data to later versions or upgrade the keys in the old versions. I've just never cared that much about optimizing or records, so the online scoreboard is completely off.

I haven't played this room, but if the rest of the hold contains things this dull, I'd have given up and played something else before level 18.

It's not difficult at all, it's just arduous. You have to hit a key sequence over and over and over, hundreds of times, and try not to screw it up, and the only thing 500 goblins do that 20 would not is waste my time. Apart from knowing goblins, there's no real skill involved. (I'm of the opinion I should never feel like I'm doing drudge-work when I'm playing a game.)

Actually, there is no "knowing goblins"... that's the problem. Too many goblins stop acting like goblins because they get in each others way and don't have the manoeuvrability to move. Goblins without space to move and flank aren't goblins anymore... they're cautious roaches.

And I seldom worry too much about screwing up the move combo... often it can be reset, which provides at least some entertainment.

PS: And the reason I knew that JtRH room right away was because I had recently looked at the H&S board sorted by length of thread, because I was curious where the big Pirate Hideout 4N1W room was in the order. It was third, just after JtRH 24:1S1W (it's now ahead of that room) and JtRH 22:secret (that roach breeding room with the alcoves).

[Last edited by bwross at 07-04-2012 09:02 AM]
07-04-2012 at 08:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Your Least Favorite Room in DROD (oh dear)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com