Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Think of the Kids (Another clock)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Hyeron
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 66
IP: Logged

File: TotK-Clock.7z (2.3 MB)
Downloaded 49 times.
License: Other
icon Think of the Kids (+5)  
Still in the process of messing around with DROD so the kids will be able to enjoy it as much as possible, so I thought I might as well stuff this around here in case someone else wants it. :)

It's your average ugly digital clock, put together to the best of my meagre gimp abilities to help my daughters cope with the spawn rates and serpent movement. As simple as that. I would have used Silver's clock. But it's in English, and has information that would probably confuse them at first, and doesn't take the waterskippers into account.

This one could be more readable, but fits quite nicely imho, and should be helpful to anyone in need of such a thing. :)

The xcf template is also included in case someone wants to mess around with it.

I'd tell you it's under DWTFYWWI license, but the monsters aren't mine (obviously), and I can only hope this can still be considered fair use. Feel free to banish me to the 7th circle of hell if it can't. ^^"

Oh - obviously designed for GatEB. Just in case. :lol

Variation with Epilog (sans serif) font available now.

[Last edited by Hyeron at 06-03-2012 01:48 PM]
06-02-2012 at 04:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Think of the Kids (0)  
This is awesome! Sure, people can use this for whatever they want.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-02-2012 at 04:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
That's fairly spiffy. Definitely less busy than the AE Elements clock by Jutt, which I use.

edit: Does it count up or down?

[Last edited by Jatopian at 06-02-2012 08:51 PM]
06-02-2012 at 08:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hyeron
icon Re: Think of the Kids (+1)  
In the most logical way, it's a countdown for waterskippers, tar, queens ; and a countup for serpents. It wouldn't take more than half an hour to create a countup version (the template being included with ALL layers), mind you, It's just booooooooring as hell. :)

Late edit - I'll make a countup version and possibly a version with a more readable font if anyone wants that. If something's missing or anyone wants another kind of variation (background, round version, whatever), shoot. I like to have fun with Gimp. That thing has saved my digital life more than once and made various translations possible (for Thief and the Dark Mod in particular), so I don't mind practicing some more. :yes

[Last edited by Hyeron at 06-03-2012 08:58 AM]
06-03-2012 at 08:08 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Hyeron wrote:
Late edit - I'll make a countup version and possibly a version with a more readable font if anyone wants that.
I thought it was because it was very late, but looking at it again during the day I now see that the reason I couldn't read the numbers is because fancy gothic fonts are basically an unreadable mess, period, especially if you want to read them at a glance. (Well, at least to me anyway...)

So yeah, a version with a regular, non-serif'd font like Dejavu, Helvetica, Verdana or Arial would be great... :)

np: Monolake - Lilith (Ghosts)

06-03-2012 at 11:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Hyeron

File: TotK-Clock-Epilog.7z (2 MB)
Downloaded 47 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Think of the Kids (+6)  
And done.

Changes:
* New font (Epilog, so it's a font that's easily recognized, easy to read, sans serif, and doesn't look too much out of place)
* Colored serpent movement: green for vertical, blue for horizontal. Hopefully that should fill the requirement "everything at a glance"
* Waterskipper countdown and serpent ticks are now left-aligned so the counters are less... say... wobbly. Still unsure about the main counter, so I guess it will stay centered for now.
* Subdued the colors a bit overall, and tweaked the emboss effect, so it's as easy on the eyes as possible while not requiring the player to squint and ask to his neighbour if it's blue or purple, retaining the same "shade" feeling as the background, and making the font look bolder.

Still a countdown version, xcf still included for tinkerers. :lol

Quite satisfied with it overall. Hope it pleases you, Briareos. If not... Well feel free to send more suggestions. I'm sure we'll find a mutual agreement in the end. :lol

[Last edited by Hyeron at 06-03-2012 01:52 PM]
06-03-2012 at 01:18 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
icon Re: Think of the Kids (+2)  
Well, I'd applaud it, but I got a binary watch for exactly the reason that I won't get this: I can't read digital.
06-03-2012 at 04:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Someone Else wrote:
Well, I'd applaud it, but I got a binary watch for exactly the reason that I won't get this: I can't read digital.
You gobbin' hipster, you... :rolleyes

Quite satisfied with it overall. Hope it pleases you, Briareos.
Muuuch improved, thank you. :)

06-03-2012 at 05:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Hyeron
icon Re: Think of the Kids (+3)  
Someone Else wrote:

Is it bad if I make you a hexadecimal one? Binary is so nineties. :?

06-03-2012 at 07:23 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I think countdown is a logical arrangement. I'm not sure whether countup or countdown is better for serpents.

06-04-2012 at 02:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Think of the Kids (Another clock)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com