Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Fortress of Eternity (Various Puzzles)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.4/10 (27 votes)
σ 0.87
Author Name:Henri
Submitted By:Doom
Hold Name:Fortress of Eternity
Theme:Various Puzzles
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:17
Number of Monsters:433
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:4 (+4 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Fortress of Eternity.hold (10.5 KB)
Downloaded 11344 times.
License: Other
icon Fortress of Eternity  
Last updated on 23.6

My second hold on the holds board (Unless I've strangely forgotten to count something)

Contains a few puzzles of medium difficulty.
08-13-2004 at 04:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: Fortress of Eternity (0)  
2S2E doesn't seem possible... :(

You have to hit the orb (1) to kill the monsters and to get to the mimic potion. You need the mimic potion, because there is no other way to kill roaches (2) and (3). The door (3) closes when you hit the orb (1), and is unaffected by all other orbs, thus making it impossible to exit the chamber with the mimic potion after you've entered it.

08-17-2004 at 06:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Hmm... I have a wrong orb closing that door :(

I have to fix that...

I've completed every room earlier but it seems I've changed it after...

I've propably moved the door a few steps and accidentally clicked wrong orb.
It's fixed in 5 minutes.
08-17-2004 at 06:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
A nice little hold. Not too easy, but it could have been bigger (and maybe a bit more difficult).

Here's some room-specific comments:
2N: I liked it. Had me thinking for a while.
2N1E: Oooh, wraithwings :P (I like 'em) What's with the empty scroll?
1N1W: Is this room supposed to be trivial? (I've done it both the hard way and the easy way, so I'm guessing it isn't)
2E: A fun little maze! Innovative design. Quite easy though.
1S: It is possible to complete this room without clearing all tar first. Was this intentional? (I've done it both ways)
1S1W: A bit too easy.
1N2W: I did this room in a completely different way than you did (on the demo). There could have been a bit more puzzle involved in this room.
1S2E: The most difficult room in the hold IMO. Fun, nonetheless.

Overall it was a good hold. :thumbsup

Too bad the stairs didn't work...(but I suppose that's my own fault, since I haven't updated to 1.6.6v2 (or whatever...) yet)

08-17-2004 at 10:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Stefan wrote:
A nice little hold. Not too easy, but it could have been bigger (and maybe a bit more difficult).

Here's some room-specific comments:
2N1E: Oooh, wraithwings :P (I like 'em) What's with the empty scroll?

The scroll bug seems to erase that scroll every time I change the room...
1N1W: Is this room supposed to be trivial? (I've done it both the hard way and the easy way, so I'm guessing it isn't)
I just realised the "wrong" way to do it. Now you can do it only the hard way...
2E: A fun little maze! Innovative design. Quite easy though.
It's actually difficult to create difficult one room mazes. (Challenge idea? Create the hardest one room maze?!)
1S: It is possible to complete this room without clearing all tar first. Was this intentional? (I've done it both ways)
Aww, I doubled the time you need to take to reach the tar mother. Now you shouldn't be able to complete it without clearing tar.
1N2W: I did this room in a completely different way than you did (on the demo). There could have been a bit more puzzle involved in this room.
It seems that this room needs something more...
1S2E: The most difficult room in the hold IMO. Fun, nonetheless.
Overall it was a good hold. :thumbsup

Too bad the stairs didn't work...(but I suppose that's my own fault, since I haven't updated to 1.6.6v2 (or whatever...) yet)
Again, the stairs have resetted... Not your fault. It's kind of the same as the scroll bug.

I'd like to apologise for the completely unfinished state of this hold but I released it too early because I couldn't edit it and now I got it again from Mike and it's full of bugs. :(

It could take a while fix them all
08-17-2004 at 11:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
icon Re: Fortress of Eternity (+1)  
I've updated it. And hopefully for the last time. (My old saves worked, so you propably don't need to start over.)
08-17-2004 at 02:01 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Just so you know, I'm pretty sure this room:

Will be broken by the fix to this bug

since you require the brains to lead the roaches past the arrow in 1 and the only reason they can do so is because of the bug.

09-11-2004 at 02:22 PM
Stefan
It's still possible to complete 1S without clearing the tar, but I don't think you need to fix that (it's a nice challenge to figure out how to do it).

Edit: And 1N1W still has the trivial solution.

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:10-22-2004 at 06:57 AM]

10-22-2004 at 05:36 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854

Trouble with roaches:
I figured out how to get my roach turned around at #1 so that I could move up to #2 but the roach behavior seems to be different at #2 and #3 even though the lay out is the same except it is turned at a 90 degree angle from the other.
I did this by...
Click here to view the secret text

Is this difference in roach behavior normal? Am I just missing something?

[Edited by techant at Local Time:03-13-2005 at 08:59 AM: clarity]

03-13-2005 at 08:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
That's because roaches move always vertically rather than horizontally if possible.
03-13-2005 at 09:02 AM
techant
Wow! all those roach kills and I never noticed that behavior before. Now I just have to figure out how to do this room with this new info in mind. :D

03-14-2005 at 03:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
O.K. I figured that room out but now I am stuck in another...

Help please with 1N1E.
(I tried to insert drod room graphic here but it didn't work)

I think hit the button on the far right which frees the goblin and which opens many doors but then I can not figure out how to
kill the mother roaches before I move past the red tiles above with the goblin. I am figuring I need it to kill the snakes. Even when I skip trying to kill the first set of mother roaches and just try to do the top section I am stumped. Any help would help. I am about ready to surrender and say this one is just too hard for me, and I am not a quiter, so that is tough for me. :weep

03-29-2005 at 05:38 AM
Doom
I tried to upload a new version of this hold but I get an error saying "Upgrading your hold is temporarily disabled." I thought it was working already.

What should I do?

Ps. Only 1 vote after sooooo long time ;)
05-18-2005 at 02:00 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Actually, schep just answered that in another thread in Architecture.

http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=6331&page=0#63701

In short: just send an e-mail to Schik ;)
(and please remember to give schep a rank point ;))

05-18-2005 at 02:12 PM
Doom
Well, Schik has to get the file if he wants to update the hold so I'll just attach it into this post where he can find it.

I've fixed 1S1E and 1E and made some small changes such as changing floor tiles and statues in some rooms.
05-18-2005 at 02:33 PM
Stefan
That is not the same hold, so it can't replace the old one. It is created by another player and doesn't have the same ID. Also, I don't think you can update an AE hold with a hold created in JtRH.

At a quick glance it seems that the changes you've made (apart from the cosmetic changes) should work in AE as well, so it should be possible to make an AE version that could replace the old one.

05-18-2005 at 03:05 PM
Doom

File: Fortress of Eternity.hold (9.6 KB)
Downloaded 143 times.
I'm not completely sure if this version works because this hold was made originally by very old playerfile of mine that was destroyed when my AE installation got corrupted long ago. I'm not sure what happened after that but I think that the first version was deleted from the holds board and reuploaded so this version might actually work.
05-18-2005 at 04:01 PM
cbemom
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 36
okay, I can kill all the monsters in 1S 1W, but now there is no way to exit the room.

Also, when I imported the hold into JTRH, it considered it a new hold, not an update, so I lost the rooms I had conquered.

I really like this hold so far, and hope the bugs can be fixed easily.

thanks

05-18-2005 at 04:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan

File: Fortress of Eternity.hold (10.5 KB)
Downloaded 128 times.
Ok, I fixed it so that it can (or at least should be able to) replace the one on the holds board. Edit: If you import this one, your progress will be saved (unless you import it in AE).

I noticed that the "End hold" and "Hold description"-messages had changed and that the included demos are gone. Was this intentional?

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:05-18-2005 at 04:56 PM: Hold updated: demos are now included!]

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:05-18-2005 at 04:57 PM: about progress]

05-18-2005 at 04:28 PM
Stefan
cbemom wrote:
okay, I can kill all the monsters in 1S 1W, but now there is no way to exit the room.
Yes there is.
Click here to view the secret text

05-18-2005 at 04:38 PM
Doom
Stefan wrote:
Ok, I fixed it so that it can (or at least should be able to) replace the one on the holds board.

I noticed that the "End hold" and "Hold description"-messages had changed and that the included demos are gone. Was this intentional?
The demos have propably disappeared because the hold is a different version from the original and has been copied several times for different reasons. There might be something similar with the descriptions too.

I didn't like the end-hold message at all anyway so it's not important to try to get it back. I'd rather keep it as it is.
05-18-2005 at 04:39 PM
Doom
Also, when I imported the hold into JTRH, it considered it a new hold, not an update, so I lost the rooms I had conquered.
The bug-free version is not uploaded to caravelnet yet. You should see the update mark next to the hold name when it's available that way. (Unless there are some problems with the current version.)

I have still one really old version if nothing seems to work but I hope that it's not necessary to use it.
05-18-2005 at 04:42 PM
cbemom
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 36
Thanks Stefan, I realized that after coming back to it later. (blushes)

05-18-2005 at 08:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Updated the hold with Stefan's latest attachment.

I just realised that there's a small unintentional mistake in 1S1W that makes the room a little harder than it used to be in older versions but still, it's possible.
06-23-2005 at 09:56 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Mmm... This is a very good hold. I kind of like all of Doom:s holds, but this might just have been the best. I liked every single room in it, but my absolute favourite was the forcearrow/trapdoor puzzle. It looked so complex that it made my head spin. (Actually it wasn“t that hard, but I really liked the layout and the idea.) Another good thing (as I see it) is that even the hack and slash rooms involved a lot of planing ahead.
09-15-2005 at 04:24 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
That's a straight niner (hey, I'm keeping the ten for Simon's Dungeon, if all eight levels are like level one), and eight brains: in my ratings, it means something like: "challenging and mildly frustrating, encouraging the player to go on and feel proud when solving these rooms".

I liked most of the rooms and the tricks needed to solve them; no really weak room (I can't say I'm too fond of 2S, but Blondbeard pointed out he likes that room, so), and rooms like 2N 1E or 2N were very nicely done. Definitively recommended!
10-29-2005 at 09:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Gas75
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
I think room 1N2W is not solvable...

I posted in Hints section my problem on this room.

I clear the bottom area (using the SE trapdoor), then the western (2 squares with gates and arrows) and the snake's labirinth to the bottom left, then I open the gate about the SE orb and move Beethro to the top of the room, where I can:
- stay near the north orb and kill FOREVER roaches coming from my E and my S (without moving to roach-queens!)
- move to the right of the top way, so roaches moves to me from E only, but they are created in bigger quantity I can kill.

7 days on this room! Let me think there is a bug... or say me a REAL solution, because in Hints section I receive "ideas" only... :weep

08-21-2006 at 09:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
It's solvable - there are highscores for this room. I haven't solved it myself so I can't help, unfortunately.

I just noticed from your screenshot in the H&S forum that you're using AE - I guess it's theoretically possible that because of a bugfix or something this room is possible in DROD 2.0 but not in AE. I don't think that's very likely, though.

[Last edited by eytanz at 08-21-2006 09:27 PM]
08-21-2006 at 09:23 PM
Gas75
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
eytanz wrote:
I just noticed from your screenshot in the H&S forum that you're using AE - I guess it's theoretically possible that because of a bugfix or something this room is possible in DROD 2.0 but not in AE. I don't think that's very likely, though.
Download file is the same... :unsure

Thanks for message. :)
Waiting for an author reply... O:-

08-21-2006 at 09:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
I solved this entire hold in AE, before Caravelnet. but I haven't been able to solve it lately (mostly because my attempts to remember solutions interfere with my ability to find solutions). So therefore if there were a compatibility issue (though I doubt it, since there are caravel-posted high scores) it would be the other way about, with a recent patch having rendered a room undoable. However, a quick click of the spider button and a less quick waiting for it to catch up with Channel One Suite re-checks should settle that issue rather well.

08-21-2006 at 09:46 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Fortress of Eternity (Various Puzzles)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com