Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Rating issue (Can we fix the difficulty rating for holds)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
IP: Logged
icon The Rating issue (0)  
I would like to see GatEB the new standard for 5 Difficulty. What I think should happen is a program to shift all the votes to match this new reality. So a hold that is rated 9 with a standard deviation of 1 is moved less than an 8 rated hold with a standard div of 3. Currently everything (Almost) is harder than KDD anyways so this might spread out the values a bit. Also people not having played that will not have a reference point.

But I really just want to be able to vote eleven.

I wish that man would stay away
04-10-2012 at 11:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: The Rating issue (+1)  
As far as I know, when Erik proclaimed KDD to be the median standard, a significant portion of the community shrugged and either disagreed quietly with the standard or disagreed with the idea of having a standard. After all (it was said) what do we do if a hold previously rated maximally difficult by nearly everyone suddenly gets dwarfed by a new arrival that is a good 20% harder?

04-10-2012 at 11:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
icon Re: The Rating issue (0)  
Well I always thought that the rating system was on a log scale.

04-10-2012 at 11:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
What a curious notion. I think this is the first time I've heard it. I doubt most people vote that way, if only because most people think linearly more readily than they do logarithmically, all other things being equal.

04-10-2012 at 11:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Honestly, I don't think a logarithmic scale is all too far from the truth. The difference between a 5 and 6 seems quite different from a 1 and a 2. I suppose this could be because most people use 5--10 to rate more frequently than 1--5. It's all quite subjective anyway.

04-10-2012 at 11:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
I think it happens naturally. People vote what they think. If everybody thinks that a ten is "something that I can't beat" than it balances out with the people who vote nine, for "something that is really hard" because they beat it. The larger ratio of tens to others indicates a harder hold.

04-10-2012 at 11:54 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Can't we vote just vote on GatEB difficulty based on how we've always voted?
04-12-2012 at 06:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Rating issue (Can we fix the difficulty rating for holds)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com