Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Other Big Project (Unveiled!)
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Other Big Project (+2)  
Briareos wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
Chaosgamer wrote:
Back in the day, Flash games was where things were at. We'd play them on school computers all day long.
Wait, "back in the day"? Kids do that now. I'm pretty sure it's only gotten more popular.
Meh. Back in the day we were playing DOOM and a few MUDs on the computers...

Kids these days, get off my lawn, etc.
You had it lucky... we couldn't afford a lawn.
04-20-2012 at 12:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaosgamer
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 88
icon Re: The Other Big Project (0)  
Syntax wrote:
Briareos wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
Chaosgamer wrote:
Back in the day, Flash games was where things were at. We'd play them on school computers all day long.
Wait, "back in the day"? Kids do that now. I'm pretty sure it's only gotten more popular.
Meh. Back in the day we were playing DOOM and a few MUDs on the computers...

Kids these days, get off my lawn, etc.
You had it lucky... we couldn't afford a lawn.

You're right, it has only gotten more popular over the years with new ways to connect to each other and play multiplayer (DROD CO-OP!!).
People tell each other about this really cool game they found on kongregate or newgrounds (That's DROD Flash) and word gets around pretty much.

04-21-2012 at 01:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Damien
Rank Points: 42
Chaosgamer wrote: (DROD CO-OP!!)
That would be excellent, wouldn't it ? Two players in one room, they have to cooperate to conquer it, opening doors for the other, blocking monsters' paths, etc... Oh, the possibilities !

04-21-2012 at 01:49 PM
Chaosgamer
Damien wrote:
Chaosgamer wrote: (DROD CO-OP!!)
That would be excellent, wouldn't it ? Two players in one room, they have to cooperate to conquer it, opening doors for the other, blocking monsters' paths, etc... Oh, the possibilities !

I can see many ways of doing this, maybe request board?
It could be portal 2 style, someone could program a pushable entity
to keep pressure plates down. (I'm sure I've done this somewhere before...)

[Last edited by Chaosgamer at 04-21-2012 02:19 PM]
04-21-2012 at 02:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SirNiko
Rank Points: 62
The dilemma with co-op is that DROD is a turn based deal, so both players would have to alternate (a non-turn based version of DROD would require a colossal amount of re-imagining to make work, if at all). Large rooms with large numbers of foes would be obnoxious to clear, since you would move one space or make one sword swipe and then have to wait for the other player. These things take no time at all with a single person, but would take ages for two players.

The backspace key functionality might need to be tweaked as well, since it would cause far too many problems if one player backspaced during the other player's turn.

You might let players alternate control, as is the case with doppelgangers. Backspacing would still be a problem, but it would otherwise feel more natural. Relatively simple puzzles designed for two players could be enjoyable, but difficult puzzles might still be nerve wracking.

A two player competitive version of DROD might be more fun. You'd have to introduce some kind of scoring system that allows players to earn points in more ways than simply clearing the room in the fewest moves, perhaps by setting up big combos or using fewer rotations. Designing puzzles for this would require a tremendous amount of effort to ensure that there isn't a single optimal solution for every situation that can be memorized.

There's a lot of work to be done before either concept would be viable or fun.
04-21-2012 at 02:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Moo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 224
Chaosgamer wrote:
It could be portal 2 style, someone could program a pushable entity
to keep pressure plates down. (I'm sure I've done this somewhere before...)
Like... A mirror? ;)

I've tried to think how it could be made multiplayer too, but I don't really see it working... Both players get a turn then the monsters move? Which player moves first? It might be too annoying keep having to wait for the other player to move. Etc.
Or maybe each player moving would use a turn, and they could move independently without having to wait for the other. But then it's just like each player controlling a clone, and doesn't really add anything that isn't currently possible. Maybe that's the way though, just have a lot of two-clone puzzles.
(edit: Partially ninjad)

[Last edited by Moo at 04-21-2012 03:00 PM]
04-21-2012 at 02:56 PM
DyRsOfDh14
Rank Points: 56
What about a competitive mode with 2 rooms where a player has to beat his/her room before the other one does?
04-21-2012 at 03:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaosgamer
We might be getting off topic a bit, may want to move this conversation to a thread in the ideas board.
But what I had in mind was each player gets to move then monsters move.
For the rooms with a lot of monsters we could just avoid having them all together or make them less tedious.
04-21-2012 at 04:56 PM
Beethroid
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
This is a fantastic idea... Once DROD will have at least 500,000 players, I will feel so proud of having discovered the game back in 1998-1999 when I was four years old, on a pack called ''100 Great Games for Windows 95''. It was a demo of the Webfoot DROD featuring the first three levels and I found it very fun once I understood the rules. It took me a while to beat the first level, and it took me until I re-united with the game (AE version) in 2005 to beat the second one. My friends usually find DROD very boring and useless, but for me, being autistic-asperger's, it is just a marvel.
04-23-2012 at 02:02 PM
Syntax
Beethroid wrote:
My friends usually find DROD very boring and useless, but for me, being autistic-asperger's, it is just a marvel.
Wait til you get CaravelNet and discover the world of optimising :)
04-25-2012 at 10:11 AM
DyRsOfDh14
Rank Points: 56
icon Re: The Other Big Project (+1)  
Beethroid wrote: I will feel so proud of having discovered the game back in 1998-1999 when I was four years old, on a pack called ''100 Great Games for Windows 95''. It was a demo of the Webfoot DROD featuring the first three levels and I found it very fun once I understood the rules.
That's funny, I discovered the game the exact same way you did.
04-25-2012 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
It is amazing how many people discovered DROD that way. This is off topic though; you should resurrect one of the old threads on the subject.

04-25-2012 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
I just want to let everyone know that even though the bar is not moving, much progress is being made. And I think we can all agree that updating the progress bar is less important than the actual progress, yes?

05-03-2012 at 01:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
And I think we can all agree that updating the progress bar is less important than the actual progress, yes?
Are you new here?

05-03-2012 at 01:48 AM
Jatopian
Incidentally, my avatar is the image for a Flash DROD Achievement! Which one? It is a mystery...
stigant wrote: Are you new here?
Well, considering that one aim of the project is to bring new people into the community, it wouldn't be unreasonable to have some new people as testers, eh? :closedeyes

05-03-2012 at 02:06 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Well, Jatopian, just, he seems more focused on the actual completion of the game than the movement of the progress bar, and everyone knows the Bar is like the most critical thing about Caravel development.
05-03-2012 at 07:07 AM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Banjooie wrote:
Well, Jatopian, just, he seems more focused on the actual completion of the game than the movement of the progress bar, and everyone knows the Bar is like the most critical thing about Caravel development.
The bar has been moved with a special dedication to Banj ;).

05-03-2012 at 07:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645

That's the /second/ time you guys have moved a Bar entirely for my benefit.

I kind of like that.
05-06-2012 at 10:18 PM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
I demand moving the bar for my benefit as well. Playing favorites and all. How could you? +.00001 is fine with me.

I wish that man would stay away
05-07-2012 at 12:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
The spitemaster wrote:
I demand moving the bar for my benefit as well. Playing favorites and all. How could you? +.00001 is fine with me.
That's going to cause rounding errors
05-07-2012 at 08:59 AM
skell
The very first version of Flash DROD

I wanted to share with you the very first version of Flash DROD I have created. I did it to see how fast the pathmapping can work and if it will be possible to port the engine to Flash.

It was written on a straight copy of one of my games, which is why it says "Kulkis" at the start, has a language selection and displays the bottom bar. Now that's a piece of history :).

05-13-2012 at 10:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Numpad doesn't work for me?
05-19-2012 at 03:57 AM
SirNiko
Rank Points: 62
Syntax wrote:

Try toggling Numlock.
05-19-2012 at 02:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
SirNiko wrote:
Syntax wrote:

Try toggling Numlock.
Cheers but no luck
05-20-2012 at 12:49 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I don't have a numpad on my laptop so I can't move either :( I'm assuming the real version has laptop support though.
05-20-2012 at 01:36 AM
Panther
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 402
Yes, it does. For me, it automatically selected the laptop keyboard default config when it first came up. And there's remapping of all keys, as in standalone drod, so you can shift everything down one or over to the left if you're so inclined.
05-20-2012 at 01:51 AM
skell
All laptops have some kind of numpad, usually accessed via the Function key (a blue or red key in the lower-left corner or near it). Then the numerical keys are 789 UIO JKL (you should have small prints on these keys telling you of the numpad). Also, Numlock can be toggled by holding this very function key and hitting a key with small "Num Lock" printed on it.
The function key is the same which you use to change brightness, switch display modes, change volume, disable touch pad and so on (these are usually located on F1-F12).

At least I haven't seen a modern (< 6 years) notebook or netbook which does not have it.

05-20-2012 at 06:02 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
skell wrote:
All laptops have some kind of numpad

At least I haven't seen a modern (< 6 years) notebook or netbook which does not have it.

Mine doesn't :) (Dell Studio XPS 1640, and yeah, I'd know if it did.)
05-20-2012 at 06:34 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
While we're on the topic of remapping keys - I tried to map numpad 0 to undo but was told it's already used in a different set of keys (which, as far as I can see, I can't redefine); what's the point of being able to redefine my keys if I can't remap the number block layout?

Why not have just one layout (the one in the define keys screen) and two buttons to reset to one of the two defaults? (i.e. main keys vs. numpad)

05-20-2012 at 10:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Flash DROD uses Shift instead of Ctrl for the battle key. We do not use Ctrl, because Ctrl+Q and Ctrl+W are two shortcuts you do not want your browser to catch while playing.

Pressing numpad keys with shift is the same as hitting Page Up, Page Down, Home, End and the others - I can't catch it as Numpad, and if you had something mapped to them, they would yield strange things. That's why you can't map anything to numpad and Home keys.

Now, I can agree that there isn't much point in disallowing Numpad 0 and few others. I'll change it. I could try to make it do some smart detection, but it would still lead to problems (if you had something mapped to Numpad 7 and something else to Home, I wouldn't be able to discern between Shift+Numpad 7 and Shift+Home :().

05-20-2012 at 02:34 PM
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Other Big Project (Unveiled!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com