Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Bavato's Dungeon (Assorted puzzles and a story)
<<2345
Page 6 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.1/10 (65 votes)
σ 2.48
Author Name:Wesley Chua
Submitted By:agaricus5
Hold Name:Bavato's Dungeon
Theme:Assorted puzzles and a story
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:16
Number of Rooms:227
Number of Monsters:8973
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:10 (+14 / -4)
Poster Message
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
IP: Logged

File: Bavatos Dungeon Maze.PNG (554.2 KB)
Downloaded 93 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Bavato's Dungeon (+1)  
Finally conquered THE legendary Bavato's Dungeon.

When I started playing Drod back in 2005, this hold seemed to me to be the Everest of holds, the one everyone should strive to beat. I will admit I started this previously in the AE engine, but didn't get very far (I think I got to level 6). I started it again a few years ago, and managed to get half-way through level 13 before I took a break. Since coming back to the game (see my recent post on GatEB) and having beaten Beethro's Teacher, I had encouragement enough to finish this hold off, and I did so (minus the unrequired room on level 13).

The first thing to note about this is there is a handy warp room on the first level allowing you to skip any levels you find particularly hard, and I would probably recommend you use it.

Whilst the 1st level is not too bad (lots of orb puzzles), the second and third levels can be difficult. The 3rd level in particular contains a number of similarly-themed rooms around horde manipulation (with both roach queens and tar) and some of these take a lot of time and effort to complete.

Of course, that's not to say it gets any easier after this - level 4 has some tough wraithwing manipulation puzzles, and if you're not keen on tar then level 5 will probably make you want to lock yourself away in a dark room...

I think my favourite level is level 9 - there are some really clever puzzles here which fit the theme of the level.

If you want to tackle this hold in it's entirety, then you'll need to be prepared to put a lot of time and effort in as there are some really long & difficult rooms but overall it's worth it be able to say that you conquered this hold.

One final thing, I'm attaching a copy of Stefan's map (from earlier in this thread) with a solution added. If there's any objection to this, I will happily remove it. I personally don't think there's any skill involved in solving something like this so I'm happy to help out anyone who wants it.

My Rating:

Difficulty: 8.5

Fun: 7

Progress - Gavin G

[Last edited by martz at 02-17-2014 01:30 PM]
02-17-2014 at 01:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
<<2345
Page 6 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Bavato's Dungeon (Assorted puzzles and a story)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com