Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok (v1.2.3 includes Linux version and Russian translation)
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Fizzii
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
IP: Logged
icon Re: Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok (0)  
04-01-2014 at 07:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
arabab
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Oh, thanks. Do you have these links on the game's site because I can only find the one that takes you to Steam's page.
04-03-2014 at 07:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
We will, as soon as 1.2.1 is live.

04-03-2014 at 09:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
djquu
I just had to register to say a great big thank-you for this game; the only way to make it better would be to have it run on MS-DOS :lol

and yes I've donated! Best new game since 1997 in my books. Here's hoping for a sequel! :thumbsup
04-27-2014 at 09:09 PM
mrsilipo
Hi, this is my first post on this forum.I made an account especially to say that Heronies Quest is amazing. I fully support the game and will even give money to support more like it. Great work. I also offer my skills as an expdeserienced graphic, ui ux, and illustration designer. 3 cheers to you guys.

05-17-2014 at 05:01 AM
portgas
I also want to say that the game is fantastic. Full of charm, humor, great art, music, interesting story. It may not be as good as The Monkey Island or Deponia, but it's definitely awesome.
05-18-2014 at 02:39 PM
Engou
Guys I just register this forum to praise you. Nowadays every game production thinks the graphic is everthing. But your game is just awesome beaceuse it have real cool story. Even the jokes in game are awesome. I always think about your game and all the day i want to play it. In school, in public even on my way to home... I just loved your game and thank you for the game. Elder Scrolls was started like that to.. Maybe after some years I can go to shop and buy your proved graphic game. :D Sorry for my bad English but I really wanted to thank you for this game. I saw it on Steam and downloaded, that was my best choice ever !!! :thumbsup I really liked that wizard to :D Who explain everthing over and over again :D That means he explain things more than twice. And happened like that he explains everthing so many times. (I wish i could made like him ^^)

[Last edited by Engou at 06-03-2014 12:26 PM]
06-03-2014 at 12:22 PM
Radiant
Version 1.2.1 is now available.

Download from Steam.
Download from IndieDb.

Changes to gameplay:
Side borders now work on wide screen monitors, allowing you to play the 16:10 game fullscreen on a 16:9 monitor without stretching.
Allow calming Garm with the Animal Ken skill.
Allow sleeping at the lake in Svartalfheim.
Allow dealing with Aurvandel and Sigurd regardless of earlier actions, as well as with Arngrim for warrior heroines.
Make the Dirty Rotten Scoundrel, Loki's Trickster, Braugging Rights, and Grandmaster achievements easier to obtain.
And fixes for reported bugs, including dialog boxes disappearing immediately, screen flashing while Steam overlay is shown, crash when the game starts up, using the figurine to bypass crucial scenes, Fafnir disappearing while chasing you, using caltrops on a boss enemy, and overchanneling in the final battle.
Saved games from 1.2 are fully compatible with 1.2.1. Earlier saved games are not compatible.

Enjoy!

06-10-2014 at 04:44 PM
azis
Awesome! A good reason to go back downloading it! For free!
06-21-2014 at 05:04 PM
Celtic Minstrel
Rank Points: 12
I notice this forum is completely flooded with Heroine's Quest topics now... I didn't see anything obviously not related to HQ until page 13 of the forums. Maybe you should consider getting another subforum?

I see HQ is on Steam, too; might be nice to see some of your other games there as well.

(I downloaded HQ, not sure when I'll get around to trying it though.)
07-13-2014 at 08:38 PM
Radiant
Celtic Minstrel wrote:
I notice this forum is completely flooded with Heroine's Quest topics now... I didn't see anything obviously not related to HQ until page 13 of the forums. Maybe you should consider getting another subforum?

We're not going to change the forum structure. That said, if you're missing any particular thread, let me know and I could sticky it to make it easier to find.

07-14-2014 at 10:20 PM
Celtic Minstrel
I didn't have any specific thread in mind, but now that you mention it, perhaps the Subterra levels thread?

If you can't/won't alter the forum structure, I could maybe suggest adding another sticky topic which might reduce the number of topics people create - not quite sure what sort of topic, though. A lot of the topics seem to be asking for help with the plot or in some cases reporting bugs. It's not a huge issue though, so I guess it's up to you whether to do something like that.

[Last edited by Celtic Minstrel at 07-15-2014 05:52 PM]
07-15-2014 at 05:51 PM
Radiant
Ok, I've stickied that. I don't really see the need to reduce the amount of threads; there'll be a greater variety of threads as soon as we release another game.

07-15-2014 at 09:03 PM
mtarini
I had to subscribe to this strange forum (what the heck is this "Deadly Rooms" thing anyway?) because I just had to voice my total admiration for making Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok.

I've just finished a game (with the sorceress) and I meant to do this for a long time. I enjoyed it immensely. Wow. Thanks. Wow. You guys are incredible!

I cannot start to list the stuff I appreciated about this real gem. The amount of work and dedication than went into this is shocking. And the quality! The polish! The artistic and technical skills! The ideas! A work of love, you can tell. This seriously must be one of the most well done indie game ever. And, for free? You guys deserve the 1st prize, really.

Not to mention, you poured this amount of effort in a genre that, I'm afraid, won't even be understood let alone appreciated by the vast majority of modern players in this planet. A niche in a niche... of the past. I think that's really Heroic. A heroic, romantic and successful chasing of a dream. You are my hero.

You managed to make an entire world real, believable and alive. This is seldom achieved, let it be by novels, by movies, or by games. And you did it with an old fashioned game genre that anyone would have judged as dead as Latin. A stupendous achievement.

And, by the way, this game easily beats any item of the Quest for Glory series, or even the entire Sierra online production (and I used to be a fan). This means that Heroine's Quest surpasses any previous inspiration that lead to it. You took this genre and you pushed it beyond it has ever been, not even when it was green and vigorous and a non-negligible part of the game industry of its times. (personally I'm very fond of stories like this one: a game genealogy which gives its best offspring well past its time).

Also I must say I'm surprised by the capabilities of AGS. Really? All that? With AGS? That system must allow for quite some customization and freedom to its users. That's a kudo for them as well I guess. I really should find the time to give that tool a closer look, if only for curiosity.

I'm curious of the process that made this game possible. Where can I read about it? For example, coming from vaguely analogous experiences, I wonder about stuff like:

- How much of a pain was required to realize every idea through a AGS, as opposed to with general programming (where everything would have been under total developer's control)? Did you have to make acrobatics? I see there's three coders in the team... Did it happen that you wanted to achieve this or that effect, but had to settle for an approximation? Did you have wished for more features/freedom in the tool, and maybe pushed for them?

- How difficult was it to make everybody in the team agree on the shared choices beyond the game? Like story, amount of faithfulness to the nordic lore, emphasis of this or that aspect, general mood to communicate, stuff like that, down to the centrality in the plot of this or that element, pet NPCs, how much freedom to give to players... I guess each person involved has its own ideas and I can imagine how strong anyone devoting a lot of efforts and skill can feel about their creation. Is the final game we see the result of a compromise, or of unanimity? Or is there some sort of leader who is in charge of all the decision making?

TL;DR: thank you, thank you, thank you for this stupendous game!!!!
02-21-2015 at 01:31 PM
Fizzii
Wow, thank you for the high praise!

To answer your questions -

I had to subscribe to this strange forum (what the heck is this "Deadly Rooms" thing anyway?)
Deadly Rooms of Death (DROD) is a collection of games made by Caravel Games. Caravel Games have kindly provided us with a forum and also hosting for our website.

Also I must say I'm surprised by the capabilities of AGS. Really? All that? With AGS? That system must allow for quite some customization and freedom to its users.
Yep, all done with AGS. Radiant has pushed it to do other non-adventure things before, so it has been proven to have a lot of flexibility.

How much of a pain was required to realize every idea through a AGS, as opposed to with general programming (where everything would have been under total developer's control)? Did you have to make acrobatics? I see there's three coders in the team... Did it happen that you wanted to achieve this or that effect, but had to settle for an approximation? Did you have wished for more features/freedom in the tool, and maybe pushed for them?
I don't do any programming myself, (and Radiant can correct me if I'm wrong, if he sees this) but I think it would be a bit hard to differentiate doing something through AGS as opposed to general programming, since AGS still requires coding.

There were some limitations to AGS (e.g. resolution support, and a little thing like how the portraits would stop animating before the voice clip had actually finished playing). Radiant asked if anything could be done about the latter, and also around making improvements to full screen mode for different monitor types, and Crimson Wizard helped a lot with that.

The engine itself is a continual work-in-progress and people like Crimson Wizard are always making improvements for everyone else.

The other programmer listed was for Steam API support I believe. Monkey_05_06 had done a lot of work so that AGS games could also have achievements etc in Steam.

For the whole game though, Radiant was the one in charge of the programming.

How difficult was it to make everybody in the team agree on the shared choices beyond the game? Like story, amount of faithfulness to the nordic lore, emphasis of this or that aspect, general mood to communicate, stuff like that, down to the centrality in the plot of this or that element, pet NPCs, how much freedom to give to players... I guess each person involved has its own ideas and I can imagine how strong anyone devoting a lot of efforts and skill can feel about their creation. Is the final game we see the result of a compromise, or of unanimity? Or is there some sort of leader who is in charge of all the decision making?
For the most part, there wasn't many disagreements at all. The project basically started with Corby (lead artist) having an idea and some basic story concepts. Radiant took those and fleshed them out and both were in agreement about the direction the project was going. The rest of us joined later and we pretty much remained concerned with the technical aspects of the game (art, sound, music).

Because Radiant had written the story and designed the puzzles and doing the programming, it meant he was the natural leader of the project. However, we all had creative freedom when it came to particular aspects of art and music (the overall specification he normally gives allows for a lot of flexibility).

We did have a couple of disagreements but they were over technical aspects (e.g. how to manage voice acting auditions, and a couple of little details). Mostly managed by compromise, I would say. Occasionally things got a bit heated because we all felt strongly about the project, but we did talk through it so we didn't stay too mad at each other for long :)
02-21-2015 at 10:05 PM
mtarini
Interesting, thanks!

Occasionally things got a bit heated because we all felt strongly about the project, but we did talk through it so we didn't stay too mad at each other for long
Well, well done.

Technical digression:

There were some limitations to AGS (e.g. resolution support...).

Actually, I guess I should be reporting this to the AGS forum rather than here, but... when I play it on my laptop connected to a hi-res monitor (1920x1080), then it runs really slowly, regardless of the "speed" slider. But it runs as the intended speed on the same computer, if I use the native laptop screen (1366x678), so I guess it is the hardware re-scaling which goes wrong (it falls back to software re-scaling maybe?) or something (I'm on a Windows 8.1 with a NVIDIA GeForce GT, I always play windowed at default resolution settings).
02-23-2015 at 01:01 PM
Radiant
Thank you for your comments! In addition to what Fizzii said, I can tell you that AGS script is very similar to C++, so in effect it is "general programming" and pretty much everything is under the developer's control. That allows one to make e.g. platform games or shmups.

mtarini wrote: Actually, I guess I should be reporting this to the AGS forum rather than here, but... when I play it on my laptop connected to a hi-res monitor (1920x1080), then it runs really slowly, regardless of the "speed" slider. But it runs as the intended speed on the same computer, if I use the native laptop screen (1366x678), so I guess it is the hardware re-scaling which goes wrong (it falls back to software re-scaling maybe?) or something (I'm on a Windows 8.1 with a NVIDIA GeForce GT, I always play windowed at default resolution settings).

Yes, that's an engine issue and we cannot help you with that. Please bring it to the AGS forums.

02-23-2015 at 02:28 PM
ET3D
Any chance of a version which will run on Android? I tried copying the files to my tablet for use with the AGS app (the same way I ran the Blackwell games), but when I run it I get:

Script link failed: Runtime error: unresolved import 'AGSteam::SetAchievementAchieved^1'

(I tried both the Steam version and a zip file I downloaded from IndieDB, but they seem to be the same.)

[Last edited by ET3D at 05-02-2015 01:53 PM]
05-02-2015 at 01:52 PM
Radiant
Yes, they are the same. What you need is a stub (since the Steam plugin itself doesn't run on Linux).

Like I just wrote about the Mac version, yes, we would really like a Linux build of our games, and unfortunately we've been rather busy with other things. If you have experience getting programs to work on Linux (in particular, the Adventure Game Studio runtime) then we'd be happy to hear from you.

05-06-2015 at 10:15 AM
ET3D
Thanks for the reply. Searching now (I know, should have done it before), I see that it's a known issue, but it seems that there's no such stub for Android. So :(

[Last edited by ET3D at 05-06-2015 10:33 AM]
05-06-2015 at 10:33 AM
titan413
You guys did an incredible job on Heroine's Quest. Just the perfect game. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask stuff like this, but I'll give it a shot.

* Was there any significance to the ghost in the library, or is it just for atmosphere?
* Was there significance to the magic-preventing stone outside the library? Was it the ghost's grave?
* Was that a scene from Hero 6 in the house next to Regin? Did any of you guys work on that game?
* Not a question, but that cursed ring was an absolute stroke of genius, making it follow you across all save files and new games.
* Who was the dead guy in stockings in the way south-western corner of Svartalfheim?
* Are you guys thinking of doing a sequel to Heroine's Quest with imported character stats, the was Quest for Glory did? Or was this more of a one-game thing for you?
* Have you guys worked with the people who made Quest for Infamy at all, and is there any chance of character crossover between the two series?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. Heroine's Quest was just an absolute blast, and I'm looking forward to whatever games you all come out with next.
06-24-2015 at 07:41 PM
Fizzii
Thanks, glad you liked the game :)

In answer to your questions (and Radiant will chip in if I get anything wrong):

- Ghost is just there for atmosphere. He probably was created by Corby to have some purpose early on, but I'm not 100% sure about this.
- The magic preventing stone is to protect the library from being burnt down. No, it's not a grave.
- Yes, that Easter Egg is a Hero6 scene. No, none of us worked on that project.
- Radiant will be happy to hear that you liked the cursed ring puzzle :)
- The dead guy in stockings was made out of a contest we had held - the winner got to have a sprite made in game, and he chose to model it off his friend, and with stockings.
- We have the option to do a HQ sequel, but no current plans at this stage.
- I have worked on Quest for Infamy doing some of the background art, but no, the two groups will not be doing any character cross overs. We like to keep our ideas separate.

We're working on some other games now, so keep an eye out on social media :)
06-24-2015 at 11:08 PM
theultramage
After a bunch of repeated runs I have identified the likely reason why Thrivaldi's final sequence can bug out and loop 3 times. To reproduce, do the following (contains plot spoilers):

Click here to view the secret text

EDIT: Failed to reproduce in the followup run. I am fairly sure that immediately skipping all cutscenes would do it though.

EDIT2: The Loki's Trickster dialogue will also loop three times when this bug happens.

[Last edited by theultramage at 01-16-2016 07:17 PM]
10-06-2015 at 06:17 PM
theultramage
When handing the chest to Regin in his house, before his thank you dialogue, he said something like "Ah, but you sold this to me earlier". This seems to be a scripting oversight.
When asking Heime to cut off a frost flower in chapter 1 as Warrior, he refuses, saying something like "ever since the troll got me..." - referring to events in chapter 2, which haven't happened yet.

[Last edited by theultramage at 01-18-2016 01:29 PM]
01-16-2016 at 05:25 PM
colorswitch
Due to the lack of loot acquisition in QFG, the presence of free lodging and the immense fortunes you receive at the start of some of the QFG sequels, there generally come a time, especially with a thief, where you have tons of money and nothing to spend it on, sometimes it gets so bad that your purse encumbers you. There aren't too many solutions
04-11-2016 at 10:18 AM
MrModeste
Since I've created an account for another post, let me just use the opportunity to thank you directly for your work. This is without doubt one of the most inspired games I've ever played in my life. You can feel the passion that drove this game to completion. I had an incredible time playing it, and I owe it to all the amazing people who dedicated their time to this project.
07-12-2016 at 07:05 PM
Heroinefan
Funny lines in the game that make me love the heroine:

Walking up and telling random people: There are nasty vargs in the forest! Shes indignant about this. Those wolves are a personal offence. how dare they be there! everyone she meets should know.

The way she says that cracks me up and makes her endearing. Its become a catch phrase for a down the street woman when shes out and about near us, its funny.

I am a mighty pirate! omg lol she toold him that.

Surely you have met hime? depending on who she asks this it can be hilarious. The kid is named princess btw its vaguely horrible. Or hemie which sounds worse.

[Last edited by Heroinefan at 08-07-2016 06:06 PM]
08-07-2016 at 05:59 PM
Radiant
Heroinefan wrote: The kid is named princess btw its vaguely horrible.

It's a mythological name :)

08-07-2016 at 08:47 PM
Heroinefan
He also looks like blossom from ATOTK could be his big brother!
08-07-2016 at 10:19 PM
Radiant
Version 1.2.2 is now available on Steam.

Changes to gameplay:
Added Linux support.
Added Russian translation.

Allow dealing with Aurvandel regardless of earlier actions.
Improved the way NPCs deal with chairs, resting heroine, and some unusual situations.
Improved topography of Nidavellir regarding stairs up and Sixth Sense spell.
Prevent starvation on first day at lowest difficulty.
Svartalf spells no longer take damage from flame aura, and heroine's spells take no damage from duergar stone form.
And fixes for reported bugs, including Thrivaldi's final words repeating; score popup not showing in rare circumstances; crash on empty leaderboard name, in Sigurd's kitchen at dawn, opening sigil after Thrivaldi's demise, and repeating spell in the time loop chamber; fox and Heronus occasionally not returning if they flee; up button disappearing in near-empty inventory; losing to Sigurd in bone cave; interaction of Andvari's puzzle with automap; and Fremont's idle loop.
Saved games from 1.2 and up are fully compatible with 1.2.2. Earlier saved games are not compatible.

12-04-2016 at 02:53 PM
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok (v1.2.3 includes Linux version and Russian translation)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com