Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : 3D DROD (???)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
MineCraft98
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged
icon 3D DROD (0)  
I have been thinking about 3D drod it has alredy been made but another vertion perhaps? but Layers in a 3D world so you can jump and alll that?

12-29-2010 at 12:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
slimm tom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1226
icon Re: 3D DROD (+1)  
3D is not usually an improvement over 2D, even though a lot of people think so.
12-29-2010 at 02:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: 3D DROD (0)  
Caravel didn't make the 3D version, so we can't leverage the work done in that project. I personally have toyed with making our own, as some have seen, but it's not a priority over getting the next game out, and some other features and projects others have expressed interest in.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 12-29-2010 03:45 PM]
12-29-2010 at 03:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
DROD in three dimensions would have to be a completely separate genre of game merely set in the Eighth. It would be interesting, and it might even make Caravel a lot of money if they make it as flashy as games such as Gears of War 2, Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, etc., but it would not be DROD.

Long story short, DROD 3-D puzzle games will not work. Ever.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
12-29-2010 at 07:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MineCraft98
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 8
Its a little hard to exsplain... Take roblox for an exsample but your guy has a sword you can jump do puzzles and wonder around the place entering rooms following the story and all that. or minecraft.

12-29-2010 at 07:53 PM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
MineCraft98 wrote:
Its a little hard to exsplain... Take roblox for an exsample but your guy has a sword you can jump do puzzles and wonder around the place entering rooms following the story and all that. or minecraft.
Yes, what you are describing is not typical DROD puzzles but rather a combination of a first-person-shooter, collection of Zelda puzzles, and any 3-D adventure game. If Caravel made this kind of game, it would be rather cool if executed properly, but, as I said before, it would not be DROD.

By the way, this does not belong in the RPG Feature Requests board.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
12-29-2010 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
...I could /almost/ see a DROD room where there's a second floor in a room, but....

I was gonna say 'like, you could drop a mirror from the second floor to the first' but yeah, the glass mirror ain't gonna survive that.
01-13-2011 at 06:40 AM
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
12th Archivist wrote:
DROD in three dimensions would have to be a completely separate genre of game merely set in the Eighth. It would be interesting, and it might even make Caravel a lot of money if they make it as flashy as games such as Gears of War 2, Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, etc.
This is a little off-topic but I wish to start my own game company someday and I dream of making a game much like what you're describing. It would have elements from adventure and RPG and a combat system similar to that of Batman: Arkham Asylum. It's one of my fondest dreams but after reading that thread about why DROD doesn't appeal to the masses and what they said about 3D games, I fear the fans of the original series will be mad at me. It's upsetting.
but it would not be DROD.
I disagree. It might not count as the same series, but I think anything set in the Eighth deserves the title DROD.

03-21-2011 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Rat Man wrote:
I disagree. It might not count as the same series, but I think anything set in the Eighth deserves the title DROD.
A FPS wouldn't be DROD just because it's set in the same world as DROD (any more than Saving Private Ryan is a board game just because it's set in the same world as Axis and Allies). A defining aspect of DROD is the grid. Love the grid.
03-30-2011 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
icon Re: 3D DROD (-1)  
Did you hear a word of what I just said? I said it wasn't the same genre. I didn't say that it was, I said it wasn't. But it's still DROD in the same way the Star Trek: The next Generation is Star Trek and WOW is still Warctaft. I don't think that WOW is an RTS.

[Last edited by Rat Man at 03-30-2011 11:46 PM]
03-30-2011 at 11:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rat Man
Sorry. I admit, that was harsh.:console

[Last edited by Rat Man at 03-31-2011 12:53 AM]
03-31-2011 at 12:53 AM
abe10
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
I do believe that there is a single page of concept art in one of the bonus levels in TSS. I forget which level and which room it is exactly. It shows the Caravel team's interpretation of what and how 3D DROD would work.

07-21-2015 at 06:11 PM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
abe10 wrote:
I do believe that there is a single page of concept art in one of the bonus levels in TSS. I forget which level and which room it is exactly. It shows the Caravel team's interpretation of what and how 3D DROD would work.

B:CA 1N,2E

and
B:CA 1N,3E

It's rather intriguing actually. Very M.C. Escher. The title screen of Gunthro and the Epic Blunder also has a similar look to it.

07-21-2015 at 08:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Thanks! Escher's been a core inspiration for me.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-01-2016 at 01:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
abe10
OY!!! I 100% beat TSS, yet I am blocked from viewing the screenschots!

03-27-2016 at 05:14 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2668
You have to be connected to CaravelNet for the game to tell the server that you've visited the rooms.
03-27-2016 at 06:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
abe10
As in, I need to be a premium member, right?

04-11-2016 at 10:11 PM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: 3D DROD (+2)  
abe10 wrote:
As in, I need to be a premium member, right?

You need to have an active CaravelNet membership. Which I guess is like a premium thing. It's pretty cheap though. http://www.caravelgames.com/buyCaravelNet.html
$4 for 3 months or a dollar per month if you buy a whole years worth.

You also get a free month with purchase of any official title. So you probably have a free month waiting to be activated. Check your e-mail from Caravel from your TSS purchase for more details.

04-11-2016 at 10:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
abe10
What do you all think about making a drod room like this game? Start small, then if it is interesting enough, go for a level, then a hold, then <i>maybe</i> a game, or just jump straight to releasing it to the world.

http://armorgames.com/play/17972/dual-dimension

05-04-2016 at 12:25 AM
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
Ehh, took a few minutes to try the game, and then I can do nothing but wonder why anyone would actually invent such a terrible and useless controls for a game.

I guess it might work with DROD (no guaranteed!), though, since DROD doesn't require quick action? Still, managing over one cross sections is just a bad idea for human to align things.

p.s As a bonus I'd like someone to imagine himself trying this:

[Last edited by uncopy2002 at 05-04-2016 02:13 AM]
05-04-2016 at 02:12 AM
abe10
I found another game 3d drod could be based on. Then again, I suppose it could inspire a normal hold as well..... Good Luck beating each other!!

05-14-2016 at 08:24 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : 3D DROD (???)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com