Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Fireswords (Do you think there should be a fire sword in DROD?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Do you think there should be a fire sword in DROD?
Yes
No
Maybe
Create another sword
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
Arbiter
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Fireswords (0)  
I have been trying to get a fire sword in drod, but I'm not the creator of Drod of course, so i can't. But i was thinking maybe there could be a quest to kill a monster who captured the princess, and you can only kill him with a fire sword. So a classic fairytale, i think it would be a good idea, especially with a fire sword. That's all 8)
02-09-2010 at 03:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
icon Re: Fireswords (+1)  
Unless you have something special in mind about the sword that will give it puzzle potential, we hardly need one to be added to the standard repertoire of weapons in the game. If you want a sword that's on fire in your hold, script one yourself.

See Section 5b here.

02-09-2010 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: Fireswords (+2)  
One thought I had a while ago was for weapons to have additional damage and creatures to have additional resistances.

It would basically add a pair of Fire-ATK/Fire-DEF values that calculates damage separate to regular ATK/DEF

EG

So you have a fire sword. It does 50 ATK 5 Fire-ATK

If you attack a creature with 26 DEF:
You do (50 - 26) + 5 = 29 damage per hit.

If you attack a creature with 20 DEF / 3 Fire-DEF
You do (50 - 20) + (5 - 3) = 32 damage per hit.

If you attack a creature with 75 DEF:
You do 0 + 5 = 5 damage per hit.

If you attack a creature with 10 DEF / 50 Fire-DEF:
You do (50 - 10) + 0 = 40 damage per hit.

--

Then you can add some more choices to the game: do you get the shield that has high DEF, or high Fire-DEF?

And more complex mechanics are there if you want them:

You could have creatures that are strong/weak to certain types of damage. (ie the fire part of your attack does double damage to an ice elemental but half damage to a fire elemental)

And items that are strong/weak against different types. (eg the wooden shield might make you weak to fire)

And of course you can have more types of damage to mudkip muddy the waters even further.

--

I would assume it's possible to do this presently, but I haven't looked at RPG scripting so I don't know how complicated it is.
02-10-2010 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Arbiter
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
icon Re: Fireswords (0)  
thanks guys, 8D
02-11-2010 at 02:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Fireswords (Do you think there should be a fire sword in DROD?) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com