Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Practicality Voting (Which was your Favourite?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Which was your Favourite?
Dreod's Dungeon - Rheb PollPollPoll 1 25.00%
Detention Complex - Penwielder PollPollPoll 3 75.00%
Total Votes 7 100%
Poster Message
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1143
IP: Logged
icon Practicality Voting (0)  
Two entries here, so download, play, then pick the one you prefer! Simple as that. The winner gets the title of 'Most Practical Designer'. Hooray!

Vote closes at the end of Saturday.

02-08-2010 at 09:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme

File: practicallity Entries.rar (23.8 KB)
Downloaded 55 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Practicality Voting (+2)  
Entries.
Download.
Play.
Enjoy.

02-08-2010 at 09:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302

File: practicality entries.zip (23.9 KB)
Downloaded 58 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Practicality Voting (0)  
Although in this day and age, you really should have something to extract rar files, here's the zip version.
02-08-2010 at 09:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
icon Re: Practicality Voting (+3)  
Nice dungeon Penwielder! I feel you could have cut down on the hack and slash parts of the rooms, but other than that, most puzzles were really nice. I especially liked 2S3E and 1S2W. :)

02-09-2010 at 11:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628
icon Re: Practicality Voting (+10)  
Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. I'm assuming the room references are on the first level (since the second doesn't go south of the entrance). Did the Aumtlich room give you much trouble? It took me half an hour both times I tested it, but then, I haven't seen much done with them in-game. TCB didn't use much of their potential, in my opinion.

I'm still working on yours. I got the theme to go with it. (Good job on that!) You said your puzzles were rushed; I can't say I noticed that--a good indication that I should probably look you up on the downloads list.

So far I've done 2E, which was a freebie, and 1S, which took a bit of time. I'm still bad at predicting the movements of wraithwings in groups beyond that they won't kill you the turn after they are facing away from you, or something like that. The entrance, I'm working on now, and 2S I've looked at, but I haven't developed much of a strategy. 1E I haven't really tried.

I'm wondering if we'll get any votes at all. :lol I gave up mine. The nearing contest for February should draw more attention, though, and it is a weekday.

Back to work...

02-09-2010 at 09:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
The work/thinking ratio for Detention Complex felt a bit too high. Nice to see Mosaic Frost used. Very pretty, but those secret walls... I just can't see them ;)
02-10-2010 at 09:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1917
These holds look like fine efforts, but since it'll probably take me months to solve them I'm not likely to be voting.

Just wanna say, "nice job"!
02-10-2010 at 10:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Penwielder wrote:
Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. I'm assuming the room references are on the first level (since the second doesn't go south of the entrance). Did the Aumtlich room give you much trouble? It took me half an hour both times I tested it, but then, I haven't seen much done with them in-game. TCB didn't use much of their potential, in my opinion.
Well, I worked a lot with aumtlich when creating Dungeon of broken orbs, so the room wasn't too hard for me. I liked figuring out how to release the 3 or 4 first aumtlichs, but the rest of the room just wasn't fun if you know what I mean. Maybe you should have cut it down a bit.

Blondbeard wrote:
Nice to see Mosaic Frost used. Very pretty, but those secret walls... I just can't see them ;)
Actually, those are broken walls :P I guess they are a bit hard too see, but I don't think missing one will cause you problems in any of the rooms.

02-11-2010 at 03:05 PM
hyperme
icon Re: Practicality Voting (+2)  
And the winner is, with 3 votes to 1, is Penwielder!
You can claim your title of 'Most Practical Architect'

You also get some rank points from me. (4, since thats all I can afford)

[Last edited by hyperme at 02-14-2010 10:04 AM]
02-14-2010 at 10:03 AM
Penwielder
Wow. I'm late. I apologize. It's really out of place right after I'm rushing the thing.

Thank you! I've already put the title in my signature. Thank you for the mod points as well. I'm still relatively new here, but I've begun to see their value; I use them to tell apart reputable members (who usually have 30+, sometimes hundreds) from bots, one-time posters, and so on (who have 0-21). Already redistributing them where deserved.

What of a compilation hold? Is it worthwhile?

02-23-2010 at 10:11 PM
Rheb
Yeah me too. Congratulations Penwielder. I think it was well deserved. You will get harder competition in the ongoing contest though ;)

02-23-2010 at 10:16 PM
Penwielder
No kidding? I'm the only non-expert. And yes, yours in one of the three I haven't finished (along with Doom's and Techant's).

This is a bit off topic, though, so... more in the proper threads, if needed.

02-23-2010 at 11:02 PM
Penwielder
As I asked above, have you any thoughts on a compilation? I'm inclined to say 'no', and instead spend a bit more effort on mine for individual release (credit given to hyperme for the idea, of course), while you would perhaps weave yours, at least in part, into a future hold of your own. If you're in favor of a small compilation, though, we can do that.

Yes, I recognize that this is a double post. Otherwise it would never be noticed.

03-21-2010 at 01:08 AM
Rheb
I don't think I'm going to publish mine, so go ahead and release your's as and individual :)

[Last edited by Rheb at 03-22-2010 08:32 PM]
03-22-2010 at 08:30 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Practicality Voting (Which was your Favourite?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com