Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Spike Traps and Wall Traps (Don't Stand there!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ameph
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
IP: Logged
icon Spike Traps and Wall Traps (+1)  
So I believe I suggested an idea like this before...

Spike Traps are little holes in the ground that shoot up spikes every 5 moves and retract them 5 moves later. Standing on the spike trap space will obviously be fatal when they shoot up. It is also fatal to all enemies and NPC with the exception of Rock Golems and Rock Giants (they are too heavy and solid to kill)as well as any sort of serpent.

Serpents who are on a spike trap are not killed (due to their immense size) but will not be able to move until the traps retreat.

Mirrors are not destroyed by spike traps as they are light enough to simply sit on top of the spikes without shattering.

Any sort of ooze (solid or baby) will be destroyed when they shoot.

The next idea is the Wall Trap which is basically a large blade in a wall space that shoots out and retracts every 5 moves. Unlike the Spike Trap, this is fatal to even rock golems and giants. However, with serpents, it will display a great deal of regeneration. If a non-head, non-tail part of the serpent is hit by the blade, it will split into two, the back half growing another head.

Ooze will be destroyed when hit as well.

10-15-2009 at 04:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1305
icon Re: Spike Traps and Wall Traps (0)  
Ameph wrote:
Serpents who are on a spike trap are not killed (due to their immense size) but will not be able to move until the traps retreat.
I like this idea. It is really an interesting dynamic that I don't recall being suggested before, and has a huge potential.
Mirrors are not destroyed by spike traps as they are light enough to simply sit on top of the spikes without shattering.
This doesn't really make sense, as it is a direct thrust and we all know that that breaks mirrors.
The next idea is the Wall Trap which is basically a large blade in a wall space that shoots out and retracts every 5 moves. Unlike the Spike Trap, this is fatal to even rock golems and giants. However, with serpents, it will display a great deal of regeneration. If a non-head, non-tail part of the serpent is hit by the blade, it will split into two, the back half growing another head.
I don't like this idea. It has been suggested a number of times as a type of serpent, but I don't really think that it works in this case.
10-15-2009 at 04:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
rman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 371
These are overall nice ideas. I have some comments about the spike thingy, though.
Ameph wrote:
Usually, when serpents can't move (=dead-ended), they shorten. Will they shorten if they are stopped by spikes?
Here I am agree to Someone Else (as a nickname and not a pronoun).

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

10-15-2009 at 04:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Zaratustra
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 55
Maybe have the spikes be operated by orbs instead?
10-23-2009 at 10:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rman
Rank Points: 371
Zaratustra wrote:

Hm. That's also a nice idea. :)

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

10-24-2009 at 12:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
Zaratustra wrote:
I think puzzle-wise that would make it little more than a deadly yellow door.

However, maybe there could be a token that deactivates them, preventing them from changing state until a token is hit again?

Someone Else:
This doesn't really make sense, as it is a direct thrust and we all know that that breaks mirrors.
It does make a little sense, if the mirror is reeeeaaaally light, and thus accelerates very very fast. It could reach the speed of the spikes pushing it up before it shatters (which could very well be possible if there are multiple contact points with the spikes to distribute stress). When it and the spikes are moving at the same, there's no longer any significant force being exerted on it.

Aaaannnnd then it launches in the air a good two feet, falls back down, and shatters anyways. Which I like, because if we go with the 5-turn model, I want spikes to destroy mirrors. Because I'm evil. :evil:

Usually, when serpents can't move (=dead-ended), they shorten. Will they shorten if they are stopped by spikes?
If they do, then spikes can kill serpents, and they could be released early if they shrink past the spikes.
If they don't, then spikes actually protect them (as they won't shrink for the duration of the spikes, even if they are trapped).

Hmmmmmmmm.... both options sound good to me.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 10-25-2009 04:35 AM]
10-25-2009 at 04:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5059
...and here's an earlier request for a spike trap that's similar to what is going into 5.0.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-05-2013 at 08:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
Did I mention I'm really kinda impressed you're willing to give credit to a three year old feature request?
06-16-2013 at 05:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Spike Traps and Wall Traps (Don't Stand there!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com