Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Random Useless Facts (Know any useless facts? Sure you do!)
Page 4 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Re: Random Useless Facts (0)  
agaricus5 wrote:
eytanz wrote:
First, All carbonated drinks contain carbonic acid, not just coke.
Correct. So beware that seemingly docile can of carbonated drink! :)

Second, carbonic acid is a weak acid (ph around 3). The gastric acid in our stomach has a PH of around 1; our digestive tracks can handle any acid weaker than that without trouble.
Actually, that's not entirely true, I don't think. Carbonic acid is weak (It only dissociates partially), but in a can of carbonated drink, it's very highly concentrated, since they force more CO2 into it than can be dissolved into it at atmospheric pressure (hence the fizziness), thus decreasing the pH of it to about 2-3. Stomach acid has a pH of around 1-2, so you are correct to say that this acid will not damage the lining of your stomach on contact, but since there is more acid in your stomach, it makes it much harder to fully neutralise it all when it passes into your small intestine.

It's very highly concentrated compared to its normal occurance in nature, but that's still not enough to seriously affect your digestional tract, as far as I know, and most medical sites I found that discuss coke corroberate that (google for coke acidity).

Note that what I'm saying assumes a healthy digestional tract -if you have stomach ulcers, or are taking medication that weakens your digestive systems, then carbonated drinks can be a real problem.

07-09-2004 at 01:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Random Useless Facts (+1)  
In an attempt to bring this back on topic (these are supposed to be useless after all...)

- Parrots can generate 500 pounds per square inch of pressure with their beaks.
- The fingerprints of koala bears are virtually indistinguishable from those of humans, so much so that they could be confused at a crime scene.
- Jimmy Carter was the first U.S. President to have been born in a hospital.
- You inhale about 700,000 of your own skin flakes each day.

-Schik, drinking a Pepsi. :pepsi

07-09-2004 at 01:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Here's a weird and useless one:

Hitler was put on a vegetarian diet by his doctor from 1931 till his death to cure him of flatulence.

07-09-2004 at 04:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Hitler's birth name was Schicklgruber (money grubber?).

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-09-2004 at 05:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
In the comic "Peanuts", Charlie Brown's father was a barber.

07-09-2004 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129

eytanz wrote:
16x17+17=289 (17x17)
17x18+17=323 (19x17)
20x21+17=437 (19x23)
25x26+17=667 (29x23)

Oh no! I violated my own statement! I posted something false!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
:throw

07-09-2004 at 08:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
I have seen exactly one "Peanuts" comic where an adult said something (Charlie Brown's mom).

07-09-2004 at 08:11 PM
gamer_extreme_101
mrimer wrote:
I have seen exactly one "Peanuts" comic where an adult said something (Charlie Brown's mom).
Really? What did she say?

07-09-2004 at 08:18 PM
mrimer
Charlie Brown was writing a letter. He asked, "How many g's in goggles?" She said, "Two, dear." So he wrote "ggogles".

(I guess there are actually three g's, huh.)

07-09-2004 at 08:53 PM
SKWERLL
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
Eating enough pineapples and kiwis make your tounge hurt, since they have a lot of acid in them.
(or at least they make MY tounge hurt, which is really annoying because they both taste reaallllllllllyyyyyy good)

The best hold in the world!
07-10-2004 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
b0rsuk wrote:
procurator (not sure if it's the right word, kind of lawyer)
Prosecutor

08-02-2004 at 06:16 PM
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
SKWERLL wrote:
Eating enough pineapples and kiwis make your tounge hurt, since they have a lot of acid in them.
(or at least they make MY tounge hurt, which is really annoying because they both taste reaallllllllllyyyyyy good)

I thought it was because they simply have harsh surface ? (the skin is pretty rough and it's pretty hard to cut it out (all) with a knfe.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
08-02-2004 at 06:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
Zmann wrote:
Yes... I think he means this:

You cannot fold a square piece of paper in half more than seven times only using your hands.

I've heard this before, but I don't know how true it is.

If a really strong man (or woman) tried to do it, I'm sure he/she could... I dunno.

[Edited by Zmann on 06-18-2004 at 03:52 AM GMT]
I can do it 8. yes I know its old

[Edited by rowrow on 08-27-2004 at 02:41 AM GMT]

08-27-2004 at 03:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
YtterbiJum
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
John Hanson was the first President of the United States, not George Washington. George Washington was the first President under the Constitution.

Children with asthma can hear better than children without asthma.

The only animal with a straight backbone is the camel.

The world's shortest poem is Lines on the Anitiquity of Microbes:
Adam
Had 'em.

If you hold a four-of-a-kind in poker, you increase your opponents' chances of having a pair by 10%.

Eskimos use refrigerators to keep food from freezing.

And last but not least, the hardest tongue-twister in existence:
The Sixth Sick Sheik's Sixth Sheep's Sick

EDIT:
Oh yes, I forgot.
The real name of Webster Lake, located near Webster, Massachusetts (sic?), is Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg. The name is of Indian origin, meaning "You fish on your side, we fish on our side, nobody fish in the middle."

[Edited by YtterbiJum on 08-29-2004 at 04:28 PM GMT]

08-28-2004 at 12:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Of course, if you wanted to count poems by letters, rather than lines, this would be the shortest poem (title's the tiebreaker):

Ode to A Goldfish

O
Wet
Pet!

Matt

08-28-2004 at 06:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Well if you're going to go by letters, then I'll write a shorter poem right here :D

Ode to Stupidity
O
My
God

...I'm done.

08-28-2004 at 10:12 AM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
Ode to my Ego

I

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
08-28-2004 at 11:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Ode to Punctuation

08-28-2004 at 12:45 PM
HSE
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 162
Ode To Space
08-28-2004 at 01:51 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
[ITA]mich
Rank Points: 19
Usually the color green is for "Go" and red is for "Stop", and here in Italy when your bank account is negative we say that "Il Conto è in rosso" (the account is in red) but, colloquially speaking, when you don't have money (or you have little) you say "Sono al verde" (I'm green, or I'm in green, not sure about the exact translation).

Bye.
--
[ITA]mich.
08-28-2004 at 02:23 PM
DiMono
I thought red was in debt, and black was okay... well, that's Canada, anyway. I'm not sure where white fits in, but it's on the flag.

We are outnumbered by insects 1,000,000 : 1

08-28-2004 at 11:36 PM
[ITA]mich
Rank Points: 19
White is in our flag too and we actually use it :D :D :D
Eating without flavouring food (not even salt but a bit of butter or oil is permitted) is "mangiare in bianco" (to eat in white), you can use also with specific food:

"Pasta in bianco" (Pasta in white)
"Riso in bianco" (Rice in white)

and so on.

P.S.: BTW, with negative account I actually meant that you're in debt (sorry, bad translation case :D )
Bye.
--
[ITA]mich.

[Edited by [ITA]mich on 08-28-2004 at 11:20 PM GMT: P.S. added]
08-29-2004 at 12:19 AM
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
The only 2 digit number that you multiply its digits together and will add up to half the original number is 36

08-30-2004 at 02:31 AM
Astronaut
Rank Points: 21
26 is the only number located inbetween a squared (5^2=25) and a cubed (3^3=27) number. (Haven't seen a proof for this, so prove me wrong if you can...)

08-31-2004 at 06:48 PM
DiMono
I suspect this will fall under the same catagory as "there are infinite pairs of consecutive prime odd numbers (i.e. 17, 19)" The odds of there being no other pair of integers n m such that n*n = m*m*m+2 or m*m*m-2 over an infinite set of integers is just too remote.

08-31-2004 at 07:43 PM
masonjason
Rank Points: 349
Actually, there are no 3 prime numbers in a row. 1 is not considered a prime. You could say: the only two prime numbers in a row are 2 and 3.

[Edited by masonjason on 08-31-2004 at 09:19 PM GMT]

08-31-2004 at 10:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
A very long tongue-twister:

Theopholis Thistle the successful thistle sifter once successfully sifted three thousand thistles through the thick of his thumb. "See that thou," said Theopholis Thistle the successful thistle sifter, "and see if YOU can successfully sift three thousand thistles through the thick of THY thumb!" Success to the successful thistle sifter.

[Edited by DiMono on 09-03-2004 at 10:02 AM GMT]

09-03-2004 at 11:01 AM
HSE
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 162
Random Useless Fact:

Onieromancer and sebhaque share the same birthday.
09-03-2004 at 11:39 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
[ITA]mich wrote:
Usually the color green is for "Go" and red is for "Stop", and here in Italy when your bank account is negative we say that "Il Conto è in rosso" (the account is in red) but, colloquially speaking, when you don't have money (or you have little) you say "Sono al verde" (I'm green, or I'm in green, not sure about the exact translation).
If you say "I'm green" in Norway ("jeg er grønn", or in my dialect "eg e grønn"), it means you don't have a clue about anything, a complete n00b. When said about others it's usually an insult (except among close friends in a humorous way).

- Gerry

[Edited by trick on 09-03-2004 at 03:30 PM GMT]
09-03-2004 at 04:28 PM
DiMono
Green in military terms means fresh out of the academy, or the equivalent. Someone who has absolutely no experience is green.

09-03-2004 at 05:09 PM
Page 4 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Random Useless Facts (Know any useless facts? Sure you do!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com